Oh JRS, another note, once you go into profiles, you don't need to put it on Escalating.
    Yeah, that's why I went back and rewrote the procedure. Actually, once you play the video, you don't even need to go into Profiles. You can simply wait on a call, whatever. The change has already taken place. It really is as simple as; play the video and you're done. The Profile thing is more so the user can test to see if it took or not. However, you'll notice that once the procedure is done, Escalating no longer works as a profile choice.
    07-03-08 09:01 AM
    Just wanted to take a moment to say Thank you, JRSCCivic! You rock. It worked like a charm...

I thought I would also let you guys know that I just emailed the file to myself and put it in the 'videos' section as directed. Also, I didn't do the cold restart first either, I know, I'm a rebel!

Excellent find!!
    07-03-08 09:05 AM
    Also, I didn't do the cold restart first either, I know, I'm a rebel!
    That's why it says "Optional" now on the procedure writeup. Glad it worked, remember to keep the video on your phone. If you restart the phone, you'll need to do the same thing over again as after a restart of any kind, the ringers go back to the way the were before.
    07-03-08 09:10 AM
    Yeah, that's why I went back and rewrote the procedure. Actually, once you play the video, you don't even need to go into Profiles. You can simply wait on a call, whatever. The change has already taken place. It really is as simple as; play the video and you're done. The Profile thing is more so the user can test to see if it took or not. However, you'll notice that once the procedure is done, Escalating no longer works as a profile choice.
    For what it's worth, Escalate remains available as on option on my 4.2.2.176 after playing the video. So the trick doesn't work, and the side effect (if that's what it is) doesn't occur either. I don't know if that tells you anything important or not, but I thought I'd pass it on.
    07-03-08 10:23 AM
    For what it's worth, Escalate remains available as on option on my 4.2.2.176 after playing the video. So the trick doesn't work, and the side effect (if that's what it is) doesn't occur either. I don't know if that tells you anything important or not, but I thought I'd pass it on.
    Yes, this does not work for anything other then OS4.5.0.33 currently. I'm working to find a fix for the 4.2.2.x people, but don't hold your breath too much. With OS4.5 being around the corner, if this tests out and works with future releases, then you may just have to wait for 4.5 to use this to boost the ringer capability until RIM can fix the issue.
    07-03-08 10:44 AM
    Yes, this does not work for anything other then OS4.5.0.33 currently. I'm working to find a fix for the 4.2.2.x people, but don't hold your breath too much. With OS4.5 being around the corner, if this tests out and works with future releases, then you may just have to wait for 4.5 to use this to boost the ringer capability until RIM can fix the issue.
    The present ClassicRinger volume set at medium level is adequate for me. More important to me, the vibrate function is much weaker in my 8830 than in my previous 7250. I suspect that has to do with the mass or the drive motor or both, and isn't likely to be solved by software. I've gotten used to it, but I missed a lot of calls and alerts at the beginning.
    07-03-08 11:37 AM
    Escalating no longer works as a profile choice.
    Interesting.... Escalating still works on mine in all of my profiles after the trick... i just tried it out on mine.. Were you able to not use it afterwords?
    07-03-08 03:07 PM
    Interesting.... Escalating still works on mine in all of my profiles after the trick... i just tried it out on mine.. Were you able to not use it afterwords?
    Well, that's what I get for opening my mouth early. At first it didn't appear to work (sat on it a long time). I just tried it now when I read your post and... it worked. Gota love it. Anyway...
    07-03-08 03:38 PM
    Well, that's what I get for opening my mouth early. At first it didn't appear to work (sat on it a long time). I just tried it now when I read your post and... it worked. Gota love it. Anyway...
    At least if it's on Escalating, it doesn't totally scare the s#!t out of you now.... lol
    07-03-08 03:41 PM
    At least if it's on Escalating, it doesn't totally scare the s#!t out of you now.... lol
    It's funny you say that. I woke up to a ring this morning. I think I might need to either turn it down or not put it 2 feet away on the nightstand.
    07-03-08 03:43 PM
    It's funny you say that. I woke up to a ring this morning. I think I might need to either turn it down or not put it 2 feet away on the nightstand.
    Glad i'm not the only one then.... woke up to a call this morning from a guy at my work, told him i was gonna kick his a$$ next time i saw him for nearly giving me a heart attack! He didn't understand.. lol from now on, phone goes on vibrate throughout the night or on Low...
    07-03-08 03:46 PM
    ^^^ Or reboot it before you go to bed and apply the video fix in the morning. That way you clear some memory used during the day and make it nice and quiet again.
    07-03-08 03:47 PM
    ^^^ Or reboot it before you go to bed and apply the video fix in the morning.
    Ah very true... Good fix for the ringer and the memory leak... I might just have to start doing that... I noticed i drop about 6-8 megs throughout the day.... Double fix! Great idea JRS!
    07-03-08 03:49 PM
    this needs to be posted as a sticky
    07-04-08 11:02 PM
    I can verify this works on 4.5.0 rel74 4.5.0.51.

JRSCCivic98, I give you more thumbs up than I physically own!
    07-06-08 03:04 AM
    I can verify this works on 4.5.0 rel74 4.5.0.51.

JRSCCivic98, I give you more thumbs up than I physically own!
    Lucky bastid! I've been looking for something newer than .33 for a bit with no luck! guess i'm not wording it right...

But yes, big thumbs up, but now if RIM fixes this when it's publicly released, and it goes back to quiet, i'm gonna drop the 8830 off a tall building... lol I pulled the battery, forgot to reset the ringtone, and barely heard my ringer when it went of the first time after and just shook my head in disappointment... lol
    Last edited by snowboarder61; 07-06-08 at 03:21 AM.
    07-06-08 03:09 AM
    But yes, big thumbs up, but now if RIM fixes this when it's publicly released, and it goes back to quiet, i'm gonna drop the 8830 off a tall building
    Bite your tongue. Let's hope they don't, because then it would be a shame since users won't at least have a quick fix for the ringer volume. I mean, we've been waiting for over a year for RIM to fix it themselves and they haven't yet. The least they can do is leave it as is so we can continue to use this bandaid.
    07-06-08 11:31 AM
    Great fix but it underscores just how little RIM and VZW care about their customers. It proves that they could have easily addressed this issue all along. It takes a programmer's incompetence to actually fix the damn problem. I wonder how the much the RIM and Verizon Execs would like missing hundreds of calls because they couldn't hear the ringer. If AT&T wasn't such a total rip off on international data and the iPhone could cut and paste, I would be ebaying my 8830 today.
    07-06-08 02:06 PM
    Bite your tongue. Let's hope they don't, because then it would be a shame since users won't at least have a quick fix for the ringer volume. I mean, we've been waiting for over a year for RIM to fix it themselves and they haven't yet. The least they can do is leave it as is so we can continue to use this bandaid.
    I'm hoping just as much as you are JRS....
    07-06-08 02:53 PM
    Does this fix only work for os 4.5? If so, where can I get this new OS?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-07-08 07:22 PM
    Great fix but it underscores just how little RIM and VZW care about their customers. It proves that they could have easily addressed this issue all along. It takes a programmer's incompetence to actually fix the damn problem. I wonder how the much the RIM and Verizon Execs would like missing hundreds of calls because they couldn't hear the ringer. If AT&T wasn't such a total rip off on international data and the iPhone could cut and paste, I would be ebaying my 8830 today.
    I won't proclaim to know anything about how Verizon treats its customers but try to keep in mind that its not just a specific carrier that is affected by this problem. I am with Bell Mobility in Canada and have the same issue. The issue lies with RIM and RIM alone.
    07-08-08 11:09 AM
    Great fix JR. I'm switching back to the 8830 (missing the feeling of the bigger phone in my hand and don't really care about having a camera anymore, plus I would like to travel outside the US and use my cell.) Also, congrats on the sticky
    07-08-08 12:50 PM
    I'm sure, if asked, VZW would say the weak ring volume is for the safety and protection of our customer. Just in case you walked around with the phone up to your ear and not talking to anyone. If someone would call it might hurt your eardrum. I’m so tired of lawyers protecting me.
    07-08-08 03:43 PM
    I'm sure, if asked, VZW would say the weak ring volume is for the safety and protection of our customer. Just in case you walked around with the phone up to your ear and not talking to anyone. If someone would call it might hurt your eardrum. I�m so tired of lawyers protecting me.
    It's not VZW!!! All 8830s from ALL carriers do this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    07-08-08 05:41 PM
    Jr,

Dude let's go get some beer. Sounds liek you had a bad day.....
    07-08-08 05:46 PM
305 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD