For the record, I can't duplicate it using 4.2.2.176 (Build 3.0.0.79).
    07-02-08 12:35 PM
    Still like to hear from more people, but it seems this "trick" may only work under the currently available OS4.5.

It wont let me play youtube on my 8830. I have os 4.5 but it loads to the media player screen but says "The media being played is of an unsupported format." i neeeeedddddddd helpppppppppppp
    07-02-08 12:40 PM
    OK, forget all that BS above. I made this even easier for you guys to get your ringer loud.

Download this video, unzip it and put it on your BB under Videos. Then do the following.

1) Restart the phone. (Full cold restart)
    2) Open up Media Player and watch the video all the way to the end. (Make sure volume is only at 3)
    3) Once the video finishes playing wait 5-10 secs on the same screen (with video ended)
    4) Back out with ESC all the way back to home screen.
    5) Go into Profiles/Advanced, highlight Normal and hit Menu/Edit.
    6) Cursor to Phone and hit Enter.
    7) Highlight Volume High and flip to Escalating and back to High within 2 secs. (don't let it ring on Escalating)

If you did everything correctly, your ringer will be loud.

This has only been tested on an 8830 w/OS4.5.

wat do you mean cold restart
    07-02-08 12:56 PM
    Like a battery pull and fresh start.
    07-02-08 01:06 PM
    I just followed the above instructions and yes, my Verizon 8830 running 4.5 definitely has a louder ring. very nice change
    07-02-08 01:23 PM
    JRS, you should see if you could save a video to the bb and duplicate it that way. I Believe it may not have anything to do with web or clearing the cache, but more of the video with no sound. Try those steps without clearing cache. Would be easier if you could do it off the phone. Just a thought...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-02-08 02:51 PM
    Still like to hear from more people, but it seems this "trick" may only work under the currently available OS4.5.
    I had an colleague using 4.5 try this. He was able to replicate it but he wanted me to note that he did so even when exiting the video playback prematurely.

I tried again on my 4.2 with no luck. Both with Verizon and purchased at the same time/lot.
    07-02-08 03:08 PM
    Running 4.5 on Verizon 8830...

HOLY COW!!!!!!! Despite not doing a reset after downloading the video, and doing some of the steps a bit wrong, even my homemade ringtones are louder!! The normally louder ringtones are LOUD!!!

I decided to test the loudness level. I rang my cell from my home phone. Cell phone was across the house (40 feet away) in my zipped-up purse. A fan was on about 4 feet away from my head... and I STILL heard it (without straining). I usually can't hear it ringing when it's in my purse over my shoulder!

Keep working on it, JRS. Right now you're at Prince status.... but if you figure out a permanent fix for this, you shall be instantly elevated to King of Crackberry!
    07-02-08 03:54 PM
    JRS, you should see if you could save a video to the bb and duplicate it that way. I Believe it may not have anything to do with web or clearing the cache, but more of the video with no sound. Try those steps without clearing cache. Would be easier if you could do it off the phone. Just a thought...

Umm, yeah, read the second instructional post home slice. I made it easier for you guys by posting a video for you to download and save onto your BB. I'll be going back and editing all the posts to make things clearer and also make another video to facilitate the volume change.

Right now, the prerequisites for this to work looks to be that you must have OS4.5 loaded on your 8830.
    07-02-08 04:42 PM
    Umm, yeah, read the second instructional post home slice. I made it easier for you guys by posting a video for you to download and save onto your BB. I'll be going back and editing all the posts to make things clearer and also make another video to facilitate the volume change.

Right now, the prerequisites for this to work looks to be that you must have OS4.5 loaded on your 8830.
    Gotcha. It doesn't show a link in the second post on the wap site. Or at least I didn't see one or I wouldn't have suggested it. Sorry dude!

07-02-08 05:22 PM
    confirmed working. Ringtone is loud as crap. People are starting to say how loud it is.

Of course im using a ringtone I normalized up to like 500% using audacity so i could hear it normally.

This is a nice find for anyone who needs their ringer louder.

Running 4.5.0.33 BETA on Alltel 8830
    07-02-08 05:24 PM
    OK, I cleaned up my posts and edited the instructional one. I also uploaded a new video to make things easier. Let me know how it goes. Good luck to everyone. As future releases of the new 4.5 OS comes out I will be testing this exploit to see if it can still be used.
    07-02-08 06:01 PM
    ...I made this even easier for you guys to get your ringer loud.

Download this video, unzip it and put it on your BB under Videos. Then do the following.

1) Restart the phone. (Full cold restart/Battery Pull - Optional)
    2) Open up Media Player and watch the video all the way to the end.
    3) Back out with ESC key (right of Pearl) all the way back to home screen.
    4) Go into Profiles/Advanced, highlight Normal and hit Menu/Edit.
    5) Cursor to Phone and hit Enter.
    6) Highlight Volume setting and flip around to check loudness.

If you did everything correctly, your ringer will be REALLY loud.

Further research shows that this only works with OS4.5.0.33.
    That's a very nice piece of work. Congratulations and Thanks.
    07-02-08 08:21 PM
    Help!!! I really don't know why after I did the tricks, my BB can't connect to Desktop Manager. When I connect via USB cable, the Desktop Manager just connect with device for a few second and then ... disconnected !!! It is still working before I did the tricks!

Help !!!
    07-03-08 12:48 AM
    Help!!! I really don't know why after I did the tricks, my BB can't connect to Desktop Manager. When I connect via USB cable, the Desktop Manager just connect with device for a few second and then ... disconnected !!! It is still working before I did the tricks!

Help !!!
    Probably unrelated. Pull the battery and it'll go back to normal.
    07-03-08 01:06 AM
    I did pull the battery out and try to re-install the Desktop Manager software, but it just can connect with my BB in 25 seconds .... I really don't know what happens ... I did check the USB connect and everything ...
    07-03-08 01:25 AM
    I did pull the battery out and try to re-install the Desktop Manager software, but it just can connect with my BB in 25 seconds .... I really don't know what happens ... I did check the USB connect and everything ...
    I agree with JRS, this didn't happen to me... i've had no problems so far after doing this tweak...
    07-03-08 02:01 AM
    Oh JRS, another note, once you go into profiles, you don't need to put it on Escalating... you can just select high and switch your ringtones.... Be forewarned though, if set on high, it might scare the **** outta you depending on how loud your ringtone is... lol I noticed you changed that info after someone had quoted you, but i am just verifying i set it straight to loud without going to Escalating..
    07-03-08 02:13 AM
    I had this problem recently as well AirSupply. I had to redownload and install the device software.

07-03-08 02:14 AM
    I had this problem recently as well AirSupply. I had to redownload and install the device software.

Pashan and AirSupply,

Do you guys have keypad lock enabled on your phone? As in a password to unlock your phone? The reason i ask is because, I pulled my battery to reset my ringer to test a few things out and found this:

Prior to battery pull, i could stay connected to DM no problem..

After battery pull and everything reset, i could not keep connected to DM, but once i disabled my phone lock, everything was fine... I was able to stay connected to DM.. Interesting it happened like this, but figured i would ask both of you if this may be the case?

Sorry to go semi-off topic JRS.....
    07-03-08 03:31 AM
    Wow!!

I just tried it and it worked great. I had to wait for the wife to wake up before I tested it. Excellent tweak, thanks JRSCC
    07-03-08 06:11 AM
    OK, forget all that BS above (I edited the posts anyway to reduce confusion). I made this even easier for you guys to get your ringer loud.

1) Restart the phone. (Full cold restart/Battery Pull - Optional)
    2) Open up Media Player and watch the video all the way to the end.
    3) Back out with ESC key (right of Pearl) all the way back to home screen.
    4) Go into Profiles/Advanced, highlight Normal and hit Menu/Edit.
    5) Cursor to Phone and hit Enter.
    6) Highlight Volume setting and flip around to check loudness.

If you did everything correctly, your ringer will be REALLY loud.

Further research shows that this only works with OS4.5.0.33.
    I even tried to reformat the file to .3gp for my 8330 then went through the process in hopes that it would fix it, it didn't. At least I did try. By the way, after the reformat, the clip was nothing but 6 seconds long with no volume. Is that the way it was supposed to be??
    07-03-08 07:02 AM
    What you can do. taht i find intresting is in one of those MP3 upload your own ringtone deals. it lets you REMAKE the MP# into very low , low medium high, very high, etc.. I set mines to VERY HIGH and from there after i set my ringtone for what i want. i can still lower it and i can BLAST it to when im outdoors or for ALARMS.. its awesome!
    07-03-08 07:15 AM
    I even tried to reformat the file to .3gp for my 8330 then went through the process in hopes that it would fix it, it didn't. At least I did try. By the way, after the reformat, the clip was nothing but 6 seconds long with no volume. Is that the way it was supposed to be??
    Maybe I'm missing something here, but you're on an 8330 w/OS4.3, aren't you? Unless you're running an 8830 with OS4.5, this will not work for you. This is in the post you quoted... did you miss that? Besides, the Curve is plenty loud already, no need for this.
    07-03-08 08:51 AM

There's no need for any of that crap. All you need to do is connect the BB to the PC and then check the Device Manager on Windows. If you see any problems with the driver for the BB or even if you don't, just delete/uninstall the driver, unplug the BB, plug it back in, let Windows find the BB and load drivers, start DM and you're done.

BTW, if you have separate issues, start another thread. This procedure will not cause you to have these problems, it's unrelated. The procedure outlined in this thread is completely reversable also by a battery pull or even a CTL+SFT+DEL reboot... this is why if you restart the phone, you must replay the video to get your high ringer volume back per this thread, otherwise it goes back to the way it was before. This changes nothing on the permanent flash of the phone, so place the blame somewhere else and better yet, start another thread so that people can help. No hijacking please.
    07-03-08 08:57 AM
305 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD