Hey I heard that Sprint will not allow unlimited surfing w/ it's simply everything plan. Is this true?
    Is there a work-a-round?
    09-03-09 10:33 AM
    09-03-09 03:45 PM
    Without purchasing a "phone as a modem" plan, tethering is against your usage policy. There are ways to do it even without the "phone as a modem" plan as the previous poster has indicated.
    09-03-09 08:25 PM
    wow, 50 bucks for tetherberry huh?
    Has anyone bought the program, do you think it was worth it?
    09-04-09 08:57 AM
    I must have missed something - my simply everthing plan allows unlimited surfing with the 8830 tethered. To tether I downloaded Sprint Smartview to the laptop. If memory serves me correctly I also had to install Blackberry Desktop on the Laptop as well so the drivers for the Blackberry USB were installed. I did have to remember to not have BB Desktop automatically sync when started. Pretty simple here - don't know if that works for everyone.

One note - with SmartView it does take a little tweaking to get it to work and the initial tether session always seems to take a long time. Be sure the Blackberry is connected to the PC before starting the Smartview app and when the app completes its rather lengthy initialization you should be able to click on connect and be on your way to surfing.

Let me know if I missed something, but working well here and is included in the everything plan.
    09-04-09 04:30 PM
    I must have missed something - my simply everthing plan allows unlimited surfing with the 8830 tethered. To tether I downloaded Sprint Smartview to the laptop. If memory serves me correctly I also had to install Blackberry Desktop on the Laptop as well so the drivers for the Blackberry USB were installed. I did have to remember to not have BB Desktop automatically sync when started. Pretty simple here - don't know if that works for everyone.

One note - with SmartView it does take a little tweaking to get it to work and the initial tether session always seems to take a long time. Be sure the Blackberry is connected to the PC before starting the Smartview app and when the app completes its rather lengthy initialization you should be able to click on connect and be on your way to surfing.

Let me know if I missed something, but working well here and is included in the everything plan.
    How long have you been doing this? Do you know for sure it's included, or have they simply not "caught on" to you yet?

Just wondering because I did it last night and it worked really well, but I didn't want to risk running up my bill just in case. It's actually faster than my DSL and because of that I'd get rid of my DSL bill if I could.
    09-05-09 12:13 AM
    Tethering is not included in the simply everything plan or any of the everything data plans. You CAN tether with these plans, but it violates your sprint contract. I don't know if sprint has a way to detect unauthorized tethering. I have seen it done via barry on linux and the user did not receive any extra charges on their bill.
    09-09-09 09:50 AM
    I did not ask Sprint if this was in the plan (after all it does say 'simply everything' :-). In the Smartview download and research I did about a year ago I did convince myself that this was a free offering and that if you tethered it was all cool. Surely wasn't trying to trick the system or get something for nothing.

I have been using this for a year or so with no additional charges. Couple of times it has been handy - a ski trip where there was no wi-fi, a trip to the grand Canyon and most recently an evening in Scotland where there was no hotel internet access. It makes sense to me that it would be included as part of an unlimited data plan. I hope this discussion doesn't lead to forensic activity by Sprint to stop the tethering... that would be a shame.

Unfortunately - I do not have the same quailty as DSL except for the lower speed DSL offering. It is good enough though to use in a pinch for simplified web browsing, but I wouldn't do lots of picture uploading nor very many large attachments on Email - there is a noticable slow down then.
    09-11-09 08:58 AM
    Trying this now..... ^_^
    09-12-09 11:14 AM
    Works great.
    09-12-09 01:02 PM
    What version are you using?
    Also, do not connect to BBdesktop before connecting?
    09-12-09 02:27 PM
    Sprint doesn't allow tethering, but it is possible to do so without Sprint's smartview and without tetherberry. I just use Windows XP's native dialup program.

Sprint won't charge for tethering unless you use it too much. If you do, they'll charge you by the kilobyte.

I've tethered and downloaded several big programs before (to bypass my work's firewall). Although in this case, I had hacked my phone so it looked like I was downloading the programs directly to my cell phone (I used CDMA workshop to modify the identification info that gets sent while tethering).

I only tether in emergencies.
    09-12-09 02:47 PM
    Update from my experience. I have been using tethering for a long long time with sprint's previous data plan. recently, I switched to everything data plan. My tethering still worked (with default Sprint SimpleView). It stopped last work... I called Sprint, they said that they no longer offer tethering (PAM) on the everything data plan, but they never informed me when I switched my plan. Also, the termination comes much much later when they caught up with you during their software updates. If you have one of the older data plan, do NOT switch, because you will lose your PAM automatically. They will not tell you. They do not offer PAM on any of the newer plans, even you want to pay for it. I am saying that from my painful experience. Now, I have to look into tetherberry...
    10-08-09 09:45 PM
    From my 1 week experience with Tetherberry, the speed is somewhat slower than PAM option, in my opinion. Also, I tried to upload a large file (8MB). It had very often pauses and terminated the connection several times. I had not yet have the same problem with large downloads.
    10-08-09 09:47 PM
    Hey All...I have a question on if anyone has updated info as the posts kind of go all over the place....

My situation is I HAD a Moto Q (old one) and it worked OK when tethered using PDANET. It started to have issues so I bought a USED Moto Q9C....It worked OK but would cut out all the time....in the MEAN TIME I did switch Data plans to an "everything" data plan. It still worked BUT I was using PDANET for windows...not sure if it "hides" usage from Sprint?

Well NOW I BROKE the screen on my Moto Q9C and have to buy a NEW (new/used) phone and I have a referbed place by my house that has 8830's for CHEAP! ($60....GREAT SHAPE) I can NOT use PDANET as I need 4.6 o/s on the BB, BUT I see I have the "Smartview" option? Sprint is NOT charging for this? Or they are?

In the MEAN time I heard they are CUTTING ALL Tethering all together! (By the end of 2010!) So I am OK with buying a phone that works with tethering for NOW and re-evaluating in 2011. (I am betting I will leave sprint by then anyway! as I am NOT under contract!)

So..my main questions are:
    #1- Does Smartview work still on the 8830?
    #2- What kind of speeds are people getting?
    #3- Are people getting charged for using Smartview? If so after how much Data? (With the everything plan?)
    #4- Does anyone know if PDANET "masks" tethering?
    #5- Should I eat before or after swimming? (JK)

Thanks all for the help!
    02-02-10 01:26 PM
    Huh? So you have or have NOT had this problem with large down loads...

From my 1 week experience with Tetherberry, the speed is somewhat slower than PAM option, in my opinion. Also, I tried to upload a large file (8MB). It had very often pauses and terminated the connection several times. I had not yet have the same problem with large downloads.
    02-03-10 05:35 PM
    Going to give this a try this weekend.
    02-04-10 04:54 AM
    Well I got it loaded....and tetherberry works fine! I get the speeds they have claimed in the posts with the older CDMA (is that the right set of letters?) revesion my phone uses. I have a friend who has one of the NEW BB's (on Verz) and he is getting TWICE the speed!

From what I understand it "masks" the fact it is tethering and just looks at it as data through the phone! I hear "PMA" (Phone as Modems) require a new plan on Sprint...but I look at it as what's the diffrence with WHAT data I have coming through my phone! But there are MULTIPLE sessions we can complain about that on...no need to do it here....
    02-08-10 02:00 PM

02-09-10 03:11 PM
    Nope....with the plan I have they said Smartview does NOT work! It MAY be because you are on an older plan?
    02-09-10 04:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD