I just got to Argentina a few days ago and the first thing I wanted to do was try my brand new unlocked Sprint BB 8830 with a foreign SIM card. I went to the store and we popped one in... No signal. I tried a different brand, the most popular one here (Movistar)... No signal. Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong? Are there any certain settings that I need to be trying?

Just so you know, I have selected "GSM" and followed the instructions as per the Sprint handbook.
    07-31-07 03:14 PM
    Thats because argentina uses 850 / 1900 MHZ as the gsm frequency. In other words, it uses the same GSM frequency as the US, therefor your phone will not work as it has 900 / 1800 MHZ which is whats used in the rest of the world. Sorry bud but your going to have to find a prepaid phone while your down there unless you happen to have a T-mo or cingular phone with you.
    07-31-07 05:30 PM
    Thanks for sharing that info, BlondeBoyL. I didn't even know that...
    07-31-07 08:35 PM
    Seems like where we could use our "World" phones is getting smaller and smaller
    07-31-07 08:43 PM
    Seems like where we could use our "World" phones is getting smaller and smaller
    If you consider all of europe small, then I guess we are screwed LOL. Could be worse, we could be in japan where they use something completely different than everyone else in the world. Just an FYI, most of the GSM in the americas (north central and south) will more than likely use 850 / 1900 mhz. BTW no problem navilyn.

If you are ever curious to what a country is using, check out Telestial and pick on a sim for that country. At the bottom it tells what frequencies they use.

Anther tidbit of info, there are countries out there using 450mhz frequencies too. Now THAT is limited if you wanted to take your fone to another country.
    Last edited by anon(153966); 07-31-07 at 09:39 PM. Reason: ...changed link to right location.
    07-31-07 09:17 PM
    This web site lists everything you need.

GSM World Coverage Map- GSM Country List by frequency bands
    08-01-07 08:41 AM
    Thanks for links to these helpful sites and info.
    Very useful for travellers around the world to prevent HUGE phonebills
    08-01-07 10:22 AM
    I also bought the Blackberry 8830 from Sprint, then took of to Mexico thinking that while I was going to be there (FEW MONTHS), I was going to skip the Roaming-International rates by Using a local GSM Provider.

For someone that doesn't know much about Technicalities like 1900MHZ, I thought GSM where all the same. Wow..! was I lost..!

Anyhow, I am here in Mexico and I just can't help to be angry at the investment for this trip, I was wondering if someone knows where can I (if in case it is possible) to unlock the GSM or would I say "expand" the frequencies towards catching the 1900Mhz?

I don't want to spend the Roaming rate 0.99/minute...

Thank you...!!!!
    Me..
    08-02-07 04:00 PM
    so much for world edition???
    05-02-08 01:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD