I've read just about every forum on the internet and searched through everything for an answer to my problem to no avail.

I have the 8830 World Edition. It's brand new. I loaded the software cd that came with it and although, it was a very slow install, everything seemed to work ok. But when I tried to open the desktop manager, it wouldn't open for me at all. I assumed it was a Vista compatiblity issue which is why I did a lot of searching online for a solution. I went onto the blackberry site and installed the newest version 4.3 which was said to be compatible and users on here have said it works fine for them. The install process was much smoother but still when I click on the desktop manager icon, it loads the screen but for a brief moment and then closes it again.

I really have no idea what to do now. Any suggestions will be most appreciated!
    04-19-08 10:45 AM
    do you have any spyware or anti-virus programs blocking it?
    04-19-08 10:52 AM
    I hadn't thought about that. Let me see if I can turn it off and try again. I'll update in a few.
    04-19-08 04:37 PM
    Also, make sure that you install the software from an admin account.
    04-19-08 04:45 PM
    Yeah...that's not the issue. It's doing the same thing. Also, when I try to open the Media Manager, this is the error that pops up....
    04-19-08 04:45 PM
    Also, make sure that you install the software from an admin account.
    there is only one account on my computer and that's mine which is the admin.
    04-19-08 04:46 PM
    ok...so I uninstalled everything and tried again and this is the error I'm getting during the install.....
    04-19-08 05:36 PM
    Try this:

1. Click Start and then click Run.
    2. In the Open box, type the following command, and then click OK
    RegSvr32 GW.dll
    04-19-08 05:43 PM
    An error popped up saying:

"The module "GW.dll" failed to load.

Make sure the binary is stored at the specified path or debug it to check for problems with the binary or dependent.DLL files.

The specified module could not be found."
    04-19-08 05:53 PM
    Can you login to your PC as the administrator account and try it? Not an account with administrator rights, but the actual administrator account.

If that doesn't work I would try to get the file from somewhere else and see if that makes a difference, could be corrupt.
    04-19-08 05:54 PM
    It's still doing it.

And I got the download from the Blackberry website. This is so frustrating.
    04-19-08 06:16 PM
    Try downloading from the Sprint website...
    04-19-08 06:18 PM
    Ok. Thanks for all your help. I'll try that out.
    04-19-08 06:21 PM
    Let us know if that works...
    04-19-08 06:25 PM
    if you are still having problems, try this:

uninstall DM; run windows install cleanup

login with admin privleges, right click on the DM exe and click on the "install program to run as admin".
    04-19-08 07:52 PM
    Just a thought... I have an 8830 and vista too. Why don't you drop the 4.3 DM and just use the 4.2 that came w your device from VZW? That will help you see if it is just a 4.3 thing. I'm using 4.2 just fine.

A time or two vista didn't close the app from memory and I had to ctrl-alt-del to the task manager and end the process manually before it would reopen. You might try that too.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-20-08 12:29 AM
    but I can't remember how I fixed it. You might try this:

BlackBerry Desktop Manager installation internal error 2738

Doc ID : KB03490
    Last Modified : 2007-06-06
    Document Type : Support

Environment

* BlackBerry Desktop Software 4.0 and later
    * Microsoft Windows 2000
    * Microsoft Windows XP
    * Microsoft Windows Vista

Problem

The following error message is received while installing, modifying, or uninstalling BlackBerry Desktop Manager:

Internal Error 2738. Could not access VBscript.

Cause

BlackBerry Desktop Manager requires that Microsoft Visual Basic Script be registered on Microsoft Windows Vista.

Resolution

Complete the appropriate resolution for your environment.

Microsoft Windows 2000/XP

On the Microsoft web site, download the Microsoft Windows Script 5.6 install for your operating system.

Microsoft Windows Vista

Unregistration and re-register the vbscript.dll file. To do so, complete the following steps:

1. Select Start > Accessories > right-click Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.
    2. The Command Administrator Prompt opens to C:\Windows\system32>
    3. Unregister the vbscript.dll first and then re-register it C:\Windows\system32> regsvr32 /u vbscript.dll (This unregisters VB Script with your computer.)
    C:\Windows\system32> regsvr32 vbscript.dll (This register VB Script with your computer.)
    4. A pop-up window will appear, indicating the DLL file was registered successfully.
    5. Run the BlackBerry Desktop Manager installation again.

Note: If it fails to register, search for the vbscript.dll file on your computer. Copy and paste the file to the C:\Windows\System32 folder.
    04-20-08 09:19 AM
    but I can't remember how I fixed it. You might try this:

BlackBerry Desktop Manager installation internal error 2738

Doc ID : KB03490
    Last Modified : 2007-06-06
    Document Type : Support

Environment

* BlackBerry Desktop Software 4.0 and later
    * Microsoft Windows 2000
    * Microsoft Windows XP
    * Microsoft Windows Vista

Problem

The following error message is received while installing, modifying, or uninstalling BlackBerry Desktop Manager:

Internal Error 2738. Could not access VBscript.

Cause

BlackBerry Desktop Manager requires that Microsoft Visual Basic Script be registered on Microsoft Windows Vista.

Resolution

Complete the appropriate resolution for your environment.

Microsoft Windows 2000/XP

On the Microsoft web site, download the Microsoft Windows Script 5.6 install for your operating system.

Microsoft Windows Vista

Unregistration and re-register the vbscript.dll file. To do so, complete the following steps:

1. Select Start > Accessories > right-click Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.
    2. The Command Administrator Prompt opens to C:\Windows\system32>
    3. Unregister the vbscript.dll first and then re-register it C:\Windows\system32> regsvr32 /u vbscript.dll (This unregisters VB Script with your computer.)
    C:\Windows\system32> regsvr32 vbscript.dll (This register VB Script with your computer.)
    4. A pop-up window will appear, indicating the DLL file was registered successfully.
    5. Run the BlackBerry Desktop Manager installation again.

Note: If it fails to register, search for the vbscript.dll file on your computer. Copy and paste the file to the C:\Windows\System32 folder.
    This worked to fix the error I was getting during the install of the desktop manager. BUT, the problem still exists with opening the desktop manager. It acts as if it wants to open and appears on the screen for a split second and goes away.
    04-21-08 07:53 PM
    This worked to fix the error I was getting during the install of the desktop manager. BUT, the problem still exists with opening the desktop manager. It acts as if it wants to open and appears on the screen for a split second and goes away.
    Make sure all of your antivirus programs are turned off. Also, make sure you have totally installed Desktop Mgr.

I am virtually positive there is either an incomplete install or an antivirius program preventing it from opening.
    04-22-08 11:45 AM
    i had the same problem trying to run dm 4.3 on my vista computer. the program opened for a second, then shut down. here's what i did. i completely deleted and removed any previous install and related files, and then rebooted my computer. during the install process of 4.3 I changed one thing. when prompted to give rights to (all users on computer) or (just yourself), I chose all users, which was different from my last choice of just myself. I'm not sure why this makes a difference but it worked. once it installed, i disabled my anti-virus on my computer and opened desktop manager 4.3 and it's now running fine. hope this helps.
    04-22-08 11:21 PM
    i had the same problem trying to run dm 4.3 on my vista computer. the program opened for a second, then shut down. here's what i did. i completely deleted and removed any previous install and related files, and then rebooted my computer. during the install process of 4.3 I changed one thing. when prompted to give rights to (all users on computer) or (just yourself), I chose all users, which was different from my last choice of just myself. I'm not sure why this makes a difference but it worked. once it installed, i disabled my anti-virus on my computer and opened desktop manager 4.3 and it's now running fine. hope this helps.
    Ditto here. I was having the exact same problem with the quick splash screen that instantly closed on Windows Vista Home Premium, SP1. The above worked for me. To summarize:

1. Uninstall previous installations
    2. Reboot
    3. Disable virus & spam programs
    4. Run the install program *as Administrator*
    5. Choose the option for "All Users" on your system, not just "You"
    6. Should run fine

I don't know if every one of these steps are necessary, but I do know they worked for me.

Thanks to all for the good information.
    04-30-08 08:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD