my understanding is that when doing a Alt + Cap + Del and the screen immediately comes back up without the hourglass that is a soft reset...when this happens if you immediately do Alt + Cap + Del again it will reboot with the hourglass and is the same as a hard reset. Does anyone know if this correct? I'd rather do this than a battery pull as i have a hard case.
    Last edited by sconnii; 03-20-08 at 12:42 PM.
    03-20-08 12:32 PM
    Everytime I have done this "reset/reboot" the hour glass comes on. In the month that I have had my 8830 I have not needed to do a battery pull (knock on wood). I also do this "reset/reboot" rather than a battery pull because of a hard case. I am interested to know the exact difference as well.
    Last edited by dpg2103; 03-20-08 at 01:20 PM. Reason: hard case
    03-20-08 01:16 PM
    my understanding is that when doing a Alt + Cap + Del and the screen immediately comes back up without the hourglass that is a soft reset...when this happens if you immediately do Alt + Cap + Del again it will reboot with the hourglass and is the same as a hard reset. Does anyone know if this correct? I'd rather do this than a battery pull as i have a hard case.
    That's a "DOUBLE-SOFT" Reset:

A double-soft reset stops all applications on the BlackBerry device and is "nearly" the equivalent of a hard reset. Timing however is critical. Perform a soft reset by pressing the ALT+RIGHT SHIFT(CAP)+DELETE keys. The screen will go blank. When the screen is no longer black, press the ALT+RIGHT SHIFT(CAP)+DELETE keys again. You should then see another blank screen followed by an hour glass.

FYI: This does not apply to the Pearl.

Hard Reset(Battery Pull):

The first step in troubleshooting a network, software or hardware error is often to perform a hard reset. With Java� based devices, this is accomplished by removing the battery.
    FYI: To perform a hard reset on a RIM models 850, 857, 950, or 957 device, insert the end of a paperclip inside the small hole on the back of the handheld.

Reasons For A Hard Reset(BP):
    Network Issues
    • Handheld displays an X beside the coverage indicator.
    • Handheld displays GSM (Global System for Mobile Communication) or lower case gprs (General Packet Radio Service) as the network status indicator.
    • User is unable to send or receive messages on the handheld.

Software Issues
    • User receives an error code on the handheld.
    • Applications do not appear to be functioning correctly.
    • Desktop Manager is stuck at “working” status when the handheld is connected.
    • Bluetooth is not detected.

Hardware Issues
    • Handheld display is hard to read. For example, the display shows lines obscuring text.
    • Keypad is not functioning correctly. For example, keys do not work, the trackwheel is not functioning correctly, or the handheld does not turn on.
    Last edited by Blacklatino; 03-20-08 at 01:51 PM.
    03-20-08 01:45 PM
    thnx for the clarification...
    03-20-08 04:16 PM
    Actually, that's not right either. A "HARD RESET" in the traditional meaning of the term based on what the Carrier's define it as is when they wipe all user data from the phone. So, in this case a "HARD RESET" would be when you go into Security/Wipe Handheld. I know, it's stupid, but that the definitions the monkeys behind the counter use. Pulling the battery or resetting via a hardware reset button (like an XV6800 has) or ALT+SHIFT+DEL for a Blackberry is just a Soft Reset. A "SOFT-RESET" by Carrier definition is a reset of the phone's opperating status which does not delete the user's personal info on the phone. The key thing to remember here is that unlike ALL other phones, Blackberries with QWERTY keyboards have the unique ALT+SHIFT+DEL reset capability (which as you noticed, don't always do a full soft reset, but on the first one, it does a quick soft reset). Hopefully that helps a little better so as not to confuse things because if you go into a carrier store and have them do a hard reset thinking they are just pulling your battery (ha, that's funny) I can most certainly guarantee you that you'll be given back a phone with no user data on it whatsoever.
    03-20-08 05:33 PM
    The battery pull is good to do once a week or so. It will keep your Berry running smoothly.
    03-20-08 07:26 PM
    An apple a day keeps the dentist away.
    03-20-08 10:28 PM
    And doctor too!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-20-08 10:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD