I originally had my 8830 through my 2 year contract and a couple months until I decided to upgrade this summer. I first went with the enV touch due to the touch screen and qwerty. Then within a hour or so I missed having the Blackbberry email and general features so I returned it for a Storm. I've had the storm since the end of June and I have finally switched. I have made the plunge and picked up a used 8830 off the forums here. I just couldn't deal without having a qwerty. Without having my 8830 I felt as if just shooting off texts or a normal task took so much longer with the storm. Despite all of the software improvements I have still come crawling back. Is anyone in the same boat as me? Anyone looking to buy a storm?
    10-05-09 09:41 PM
    Had the storm for six months. You made the right choice! I have used 6 differnt blackberries over the last year and this one(8830) is by far my favorite. If it just had a 5.0 update... If only

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-05-09 11:01 PM
    Had the storm for six months. You made the right choice! I have used 6 differnt blackberries over the last year and this one(8830) is by far my favorite. If it just had a 5.0 update... If only

And a camera too
    10-05-09 11:05 PM
    And a camera too
    and more memory
    10-05-09 11:39 PM
    none of the 64MB RAM devices are going to be able to support the 5.0 OS, it is far too memory-intensive.

That is why you see the 8330 getting it, but from what I've seen, the size of the OS leaves you equivalent to the 8800 series with file-free memory.

10-06-09 12:43 AM
    I am kind of in the same boat...I had an 8830 and was awaiting the Storm 2, but I ultimately went with the Tour since I could not imagine not having the "real" keyboard. Glad I did...
    10-06-09 08:54 AM
    I have an update available right now, but I just cannot bring myself to trade in the tour for a tour. I also have question: since I supplied the 8830 on mu account, would verizon take it from me when I upgrade(IF I upgrade) to the tour? I know they did that to me a couple years back when I upgraded an enV to an enV2. But I had used the enV for the 2 years and it was provided by verizon. If anyone understands my question, please answer.

10-06-09 11:09 AM
    Do yo mean that you can't bring yourself to trade the 8830 for a Tour? Trust me, its worth it; the Tour is a much better device in every way (and I loved my 8830). I upgraded and they did not take my 8830 back - this is a corporate account in case that matters... I have the 8830 stored as a backup
    10-06-09 12:47 PM
    Awesome. That's what I want to do as well then

10-06-09 10:23 PM
    The Tour is pure garbage compared to the 8830. It has a worse trackball, worse reception, worse voice quality, worse keyboard and worse build construction.
    10-06-09 11:33 PM
    I need to wait and see how it works, but my NE2 is in november, and by then verizon will have the storm 2 and tour, it'll be a tuff choice
    10-07-09 01:12 AM
    Apparently you've never used a Tour, at least one that was built after September 1st. The reception and call quality are infinitely better than the 8830, the keyboard is in another league, and it's built far better. Not to mention that the screen is actually readable and it doesn't run out of memory every 4 hours.

The only advantages that the 8830 has is are battery life (b/c the screen sucks) and that it feels a bit more like it would survive being run over by a truck b/c its so heavy and solid.

The Tour is pure garbage compared to the 8830. It has a worse trackball, worse reception, worse voice quality, worse keyboard and worse build construction.
    10-07-09 09:05 AM
    The 8830 sounds like a real solid device. I was thinking about getting one for a back-up in case something happens to my Tour. From what I've read, a lot of people are happy with the 8830. I was actually looking into getting it before I heard about the Tour being released.

I don't think you can lump ALL Tours in that statement. My Tour is from launch and I haven't had any issues with anything you listed. My trackball works great, reception is amazing, people hear me clearly & I hear them clearly, I love the keyboard, and the build is pretty solid. Not everyone has issues with their Tour.
    10-07-09 10:01 AM
    Sorry guys, the Tour is just not as sexy, prfessional, built as well, or functional as the 8830. LONG LIVE WORLD EDITION!!!! I mean, the keyboard ALONE is keeping me from upgrading to the Tour. Screw the camera, and have you pressed one of the buttons too hard? The whole lcd will flex. Plus EVERYONE is getting the Tour. The WE was unique, not sold as much, and is a perfect icon of what a professional business tool should look like. I like to think of it as a Land Rover here in America, less common, beautiful, and not in high demand. I will use my World Edition until Verizon's network no longer supports it.

10-10-09 05:20 PM
    I don't think you can lump ALL Tours in that statement. My Tour is from launch and I haven't had any issues with anything you listed. My trackball works great, reception is amazing, people hear me clearly & I hear them clearly, I love the keyboard, and the build is pretty solid. Not everyone has issues with their Tour.
    Unless you can prove that your trackball works correctly using the trackball test, I won't believe it. No offense, but I haven't seen a single Tour that works correctly. It may work "good enough" for you, but that doesn't mean that it works as well as the 8830.
    10-10-09 06:13 PM
    I've got to say, this is a cool post.

I prefer the design of the Tour, but design is subjective, and the 8830 is also a damn fine device. If there was a way to add more memory and a better screen, I could definitely see holding onto it.

Sorry guys, the Tour is just not as sexy, prfessional, built as well, or functional as the 8830. LONG LIVE WORLD EDITION!!!! I mean, the keyboard ALONE is keeping me from upgrading to the Tour. Screw the camera, and have you pressed one of the buttons too hard? The whole lcd will flex. Plus EVERYONE is getting the Tour. The WE was unique, not sold as much, and is a perfect icon of what a professional business tool should look like. I like to think of it as a Land Rover here in America, less common, beautiful, and not in high demand. I will use my World Edition until Verizon's network no longer supports it.

10-10-09 08:43 PM
    Basically any Tour built in mid-August or later has a trackball that is better than, or at least equal to any other BB. The trackball assembly was redesigned, fixing the initial problem. Sure, there are some that aren't perfect but that goes with any BB and depends on how the user cares for it.

Unless you can prove that your trackball works correctly using the trackball test, I won't believe it. No offense, but I haven't seen a single Tour that works correctly. It may work "good enough" for you, but that doesn't mean that it works as well as the 8830.
    10-10-09 08:46 PM
    Basically any Tour built in mid-August or later has a trackball that is better than, or at least equal to any other BB. The trackball assembly was redesigned, fixing the initial problem. Sure, there are some that aren't perfect but that goes with any BB and depends on how the user cares for it.
    Have video to prove it? Not one Tour owner can provide it. Odd.
    10-10-09 08:57 PM
    I have an 8830 and the onboard memory sucks.

Get a Tour.

I don't like the Storm because I can't stand touch screens.
    10-10-09 09:35 PM

It's only sexy when it's new.

Silver is cool and all but scratches show up easily and the silver gets old fast.

I like the black Tour.
    10-10-09 09:36 PM
    I suppose I could shoot a video of myself using my Tour but that's not going to prove anything...I use it every day and it works great, just like my 8830 did for 2 years...

I keep my hands clean and I keep my phone in a pocket pouch when it's in my pants; wouldn't expect to have any trackball issues with a properly manufactured phone, which both of my BB's have been.

Have video to prove it? Not one Tour owner can provide it. Odd.
    Last edited by mciriello; 10-10-09 at 10:14 PM.
    10-10-09 10:11 PM
    I suppose I could shoot a video of myself using my Tour but that's not going to prove anything...I use it every day and it works great, just like my 8830 did for 2 years...

I keep my hands clean and I keep my phone in a pocket pouch when it's in my pants; wouldn't expect to have any trackball issues with a properly manufactured phone, which both of my BB's have been.
    Again, not a single Tour owner has stepped up to post a video while running the trackball test and prove that it works as well as the 8830. Whether you notice the defect or not, doesn't matter to me.
    10-10-09 11:21 PM
    What "trackball test" are you referring to? All I know is that for me and thousands of others using these every day, it works just fine.
    10-11-09 12:38 AM
    What "trackball test" are you referring to? All I know is that for me and thousands of others using these every day, it works just fine.
    Try searching. You'll find the procedure.
    10-11-09 12:42 AM
    It's only sexy when it's new.

Silver is cool and all but scratches show up easily and the silver gets old fast.

I like the black Tour.
    And you, sir, have bad taste... In my opinion of course. :-D

10-11-09 02:42 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD