Hey everyone. I have the 8830 WE from verizon. I cant figure out for the life of me why, but my SMS folder completely deleted its self. So I went to options saw it said clear its self after 15 days, and I know its been MUCH more than 15 days since its been cleared. So i set it to never, sent a text message and go back and look 5 minutes later and the SMS box is empty

I also noticed that on my Facebook application for it all of the notifications and stuff that I haev gotten today has been erased, but everything from yesterday is still there.

Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks

Keith
    05-13-08 10:53 PM
    Welcome to CB.
    05-13-08 10:57 PM
    Your memory is low or gones so your messages are deleting themselves. This is posted many times a day and a simple search will give you your solution.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-13-08 11:01 PM
    Your memory is low or gones so your messages are deleting themselves. This is posted many times a day and a simple search will give you your solution.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    It says I have over 10mb of storage on the phone, so I don't see why this would be the reason for it happening. It isnt like they are deleting themselves as it fills up, but every message on my phone was deleted, and whenever i recieve a new message the sent message(s) are deleted. I am just curious as to what caused this. I just pulled the battery and everything seems to be working fine, minus all of my messages being deleted in the first place.

K
    05-14-08 12:04 AM
    It says I have over 10mb of storage on the phone, so I don't see why this would be the reason for it happening. It isnt like they are deleting themselves as it fills up, but every message on my phone was deleted, and whenever i recieve a new message the sent message(s) are deleted. I am just curious as to what caused this. I just pulled the battery and everything seems to be working fine, minus all of my messages being deleted in the first place.

K
    Did you check the file free status before or after you pulled the battery? If you checked after, then you see how much free file you have now that the memory that had been allocated has been returned. Your problem is due to low memory.
    05-14-08 12:11 AM
    10 MB is the borderline. Did you have 10MB available before you pulled the battery or after. With your memory being that low and BB's having a memory leak, you will continue to have problems in the very near future. Trust me!
    05-14-08 12:12 AM
    Garz is right. I had similar issues. I freed up a lot of extra memory by deleting the sample video when i was borderline 10mb.
    05-14-08 01:49 AM
    If you don't manage your Memory
    Your BB (very smart phone) will manage it for you.
    05-14-08 12:50 PM
    It was 10 before and is now right around 12 after the pull. THanks for the info. Ill try and free up some memory.

Keith
    05-14-08 04:00 PM
    I like that it manages the memory for you, but why does it have to delete NEW SMS messages... all my new messages today were immediately deleted. Shouldn't it delete s few old ones when a few new ones come in?

After my battery pull, I had 19MB left. I guess this will be the workflow until my Mini SD card arrives.
    06-03-08 08:15 PM
    If you don't manage your Memory
    Your BB (very smart phone) will manage it for you.
    It's an ***** phone. You have to manually quit apps all the time (what an incredible pain.) It's so dumb that if you ever find your less than 10MB of RAM (way more than you should need free in addition to all the crap running), it doesn't even tell you it's deleting SMS, Email and Logs...
    06-03-08 08:22 PM
    What you are describing is typical of the problems caused by low available memory. Any time "File Free" drops below 10 000 000 bytes, the phone will start deleting call logs and text messages without warning to free up memory. Text messages may be deleted as soon as they arrive, before you have had time to read them.

A battery pull recovers memory and will alleviate the problem temporarily. The solution is to remove the stuff you don't need (the sample video, wallpaper, themes, other languages, brickbreaker, etc.) from the device's memory. Stoner developed this procedure to guide you:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...-memory-34633/

Also, if you have a Media Card, be sure to put pictures, videos, music, and ringtones on it, not in your device's memory. Keep in mind that Media Card memory is not device memory. You have to keep your device memory well above 10 000 000 bytes, regardless of the capacity of your Media Card or how much free space it has.
    06-03-08 08:31 PM
    What you are describing is typical of the problems caused by low available memory. Any time "File Free" drops below 10 000 000 bytes, the phone will start deleting call logs and text messages without warning to free up memory. Text messages may be deleted as soon as they arrive, before you have had time to read them.
    Considering you start with only 47 MB of internal memory, requiring a *minimum* of 10MB free is ridiculous. The fact that the phone will simply start deleting logs, sms and email messages without warning is completely *unacceptable.* The fact that this problem apparently has lingered almost a year is *outrageous.* The fact that Verizon says that it will be fixed eventually (several months at best with 4.5 after testing) and there isn't really any remedy that RIM or Verizon will provide (except discount on extending your contract 2 years) is *out-freeking-rageous*.

I was able to install 15 applications - and that's it. Unlike other operating systems, you can't launch applications off a card. There really isn't a practical way of storing them there either. Until this gets fixed, the Blackberry remains a sophisticated calculator that wants to be a PDA. I'm quite upset about this. The only current solution is to get (or allow an exchange with a payment of some reasonable amount) the Verizon Curve which has enough memory to deal with the leak problem.
    06-03-08 10:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD