I am new to Blackberry, I have had an 8830 WE for about a week now that I got from a friend and do not know much about it or electronics in general for that matter. I was wondering if I should bother updating to the newest OS. Right now I am running on OS v4.2.2.196. Are there any real upsides or downsides to getting the new OS? Should I just stick with what I have until I get a new phone? I absolutely love this Blackberry and plan on upgrading once my wireless service allows somewhere near June of 2010. Is it worth the time and energy or should I stick it out with what I got? Also, if I have problems with the new OS, providing I do install it, is there any way to go back to v4.2.2.196?

Thank you to anybody and everybody that can help me with this decision.
    09-29-09 03:43 PM
    yaa manm install it. its always good to install the newer updates. as long as you install the official software from rim. which anyone correct me if im wrong but its 4.5 something isnt it?

Hope that helps
    09-29-09 04:12 PM
    i have a slight difference of opinion here. i've downloaded the latest version 4.5.0.160 straight from blackberry.com website and have the worst memory leak i've ever experienced!! if anyone can help me out please do. i'll be elegeble for an upgrade next month and i'm gonna getr the storm and probably won't change the OS. i do however agree with ssc13 about the nicer things the upgrades brings, but with the memory leak as bad as it has been, (having to do a battery pull about once a day, or two days depending on the tume due to it dropping to 0 bytes.) i'll probably just leave it B
    09-29-09 04:24 PM
    I am new to Blackberry, I have had an 8830 WE for about a week now that I got from a friend and do not know much about it or electronics in general for that matter. I was wondering if I should bother updating to the newest OS. Right now I am running on OS v4.2.2.196. Are there any real upsides or downsides to getting the new OS? Should I just stick with what I have until I get a new phone? I absolutely love this Blackberry and plan on upgrading once my wireless service allows somewhere near June of 2010. Is it worth the time and energy or should I stick it out with what I got? Also, if I have problems with the new OS, providing I do install it, is there any way to go back to v4.2.2.196?

Verizon's official release of os 4.5 worked great (i think it was version .135). IMO, theres a huge difference in browsers between the two, as well as how emails are shown, and it seems to me like the text is just better. It's fairly easy to install the new OS, it takes about an hour or so. With the version .169 I haven't had any big issues with memory leak, although there is that annoying squeak during calls occasionally.

Bottom line, I believe that the benefits definaly outweigh the costs. Even if you do end up with a bad memory leak, it's not hard to pull the battery every morning before you get in the shower, and your 'berry will be ready to go by the time you are all dried off and walking out the door.

Keith
    09-29-09 05:23 PM
    Oh my gah yeah! I just did the upgrade. I'm very good with blackberries. I just picked this 8830 up from a friend who had nwever updated his phone. The memory leek isn't bad unless you have 8 plus 3rd party apps on it including pandora or blackberry app world(which is the biggest waste of memory). Also you will get memory leaks from running a 3rd party theme which is the same as running an app in the background the whole time. But I seen that one guy wanted to get rid of the 88r0 and get the storm. I had a stoem for 6 months, and let me tell you, if your leaving the 8830 cause of a memory leak then once you get the storm your going to drive yourself insane watching the memory get eatin away(read in the storm forums. I used to live in there until it became troll central). But back to the OP, yes you should definatly upgrade your phone. It really is not that hard. You will see a HUGE difference in your browser!(Its like having a whole new phone, with all the color and speeds the new browser brings). And also emails will look more up to date and not just text. You will see them as they are almost viewed on your computer. Trust me, once you upgrade you will think you have a whole new phone. Its unbeleivable. Sorry to waste so much of your time but that's just how firmly I believe that you will LOVE upgrading your 8830. It basically turns your 8830 into an up to date curve 8330 if you have ever played with one of those

My 2 cents

Daniel

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-29-09 05:58 PM
    **** yea...upgrade...faster....faster..faster...
    09-29-09 06:04 PM
    I am not a "techie" and have trouble following some how-to's: please advise how to determine which operating system my unit is using and how / if it can be upgraded. Goal is to get it to ring louder. Current provider is Verizon who has not given help. Thanks in advance for assistance.
    09-29-09 10:53 PM
    Go to options _ about. And there you will see what operating system your phone is running. If you see a number that is 4.2.... The you need to update. If you see a number that looks like 4.5... Then you don't need to. To get a good loud ringer, go to the top of the 8830 sub-forum and there are to threads at the top that talk about getting a louder ringer and I actually think one of them have a loud ringer for download that you can email to yourself.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-29-09 11:05 PM
    Thanks everybody, I am definitely going to update once I get a sync cable.
    09-30-09 09:12 AM
    Ok, I got another one for everybody. Because I got this phone from a 3rd party, I did not get any disks, instruction guides, nothing. All I got was the phone and a charger. I am attempting to download the desktop manager from the Blackberry website and it is asking me which version of the software I want to download. The options range from "Blackberry Desktop Software v2.0 for Blackberry Internet Edition" to "Blackberry Desktop Software v5.0." Like I said before, I am running OS v4.2.2.196, I haven't got a clue what the difference between all of them are. My assumption was that I was to download the version that matched my OS but there are also options that include "Blackberry Desktop Software v4.2 Service Pack 1," there is also a service pack 2. Any ideas?

P.S. Danieljbrown32, your not wasting my time at all. Like I said, I know next to nothing so any information anybody can give me is more than welcomed, regardless of how long the post might be. I am more than happy to read anything anybody has to say about the Blackberry because I plan on being able to answer somebody else's questions in the future.

Thank everybody.
    09-30-09 09:30 AM
    Ok, I got another one for everybody. Because I got this phone from a 3rd party, I did not get any disks, instruction guides, nothing. All I got was the phone and a charger. I am attempting to download the desktop manager from the Blackberry website and it is asking me which version of the software I want to download. The options range from "Blackberry Desktop Software v2.0 for Blackberry Internet Edition" to "Blackberry Desktop Software v5.0." Like I said before, I am running OS v4.2.2.196, I haven't got a clue what the difference between all of them are. My assumption was that I was to download the version that matched my OS but there are also options that include "Blackberry Desktop Software v4.2 Service Pack 1," there is also a service pack 2. Any ideas?

P.S. Danieljbrown32, your not wasting my time at all. Like I said, I know next to nothing so any information anybody can give me is more than welcomed, regardless of how long the post might be. I am more than happy to read anything anybody has to say about the Blackberry because I plan on being able to answer somebody else's questions in the future.

Thank everybody.
    Download the newest version of the desktop manager v5.0.
    09-30-09 12:41 PM
    Ok, I am attempting to download v5.0 and on the BlackBerry website it says "If you did not purchase BlackBerry directly from Research In Motion (RIM), please contact your service provider to determine if this software has been authorized for use with your handheld." I bought my phone through a 3rd party but it is a Verizon certified phone with the Verizon logo on the bottom of the phone. Am I going to run into any problems downloading the new OS? Should I just email Verizon about it or what?
    09-30-09 12:56 PM
    Go ahead and download the software. Verizon uses DTM 5.0, so you are good to go without any worries.
    09-30-09 07:42 PM
    What are the downsides to upgrading? Upgrade to the official release, or should I seek a hybrid?
    10-01-09 08:35 AM
    okay, I 've got a 8830 phone. When I try to save pics it tells me memory is full, there's only one pic saved in the media file. I download ringtones, get the link, click save and set as ringtone on my phone. The song does not show up in my ringtone list. I've downloaded ringtones before doing my upgrade online. They saved and play fine, could this be a blockage from the new software?
    11-06-09 06:35 PM
    I have a friend who is running a 8830 WE that is about 2 yrs old. it is the model w/out the camera. He is unable to Download the new BBM 5.0. Anyone able to give an answer as to why this is happening?

Thanks,
    original STORM user...
    11-08-09 08:26 PM
    When I had my 8830, upgrading from 4.2 to 4.5 was like getting a new phone! Do it.
    11-11-09 02:26 PM
    I found the answer to my questions.
    Thanks crackberry!
    Last edited by 99roush; 11-14-09 at 09:43 PM.
    11-14-09 08:21 PM

download, play with, determine if you like. no real math to it.

I had an 8830 and i loved the official 4.5. only issue was the frequent visits from the hourglass. it's a great unit. i like the form factor better than my tour. the 8830 is a solid phone. congrats.
    11-20-09 11:09 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD