When I click my trackball, back button and "0" button on the blackberry, random combinations of letters show up instead. I can navigate with the trackball, but I have to use the option key and then select from the menu to do anything with my phone. Has anybody heard of this before and, if so, is it a hardware or software problem?

Thank you for your help!!
    03-31-08 01:28 PM
    I have a very similar issue. My roller ball does not select when pressed (I have been using the return key instead) and every time I press the letters e, r or i it thinks it is pressing select. It therefore sends random half finished replies to e-mails and texts!!!

It seems to do it on it's own so feel it is more likely to be a software issue although do intend to try cleaning as per this site suggests. blackberryforums.com/general-8300-series-discussion-curve/108122-how-clean-you-8300-blackberry-trackball-pic-guide.htm

If by chance you find out any solutions please do let me know.

It was an e-bay purchase so no doubt I have been had with a dodgy return and cannot send it back.
    04-07-08 06:20 AM
    I guess its worth a try to reinstall the OS and see if anything changes.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-09-08 07:45 AM
    I had the same problem with my 8800. My feeling is that is is a problem with the sensor that sits under the trackball assembly. The trackball on my 8800 stopped working last week and I took it out (something I've done in the past, successfully). I cleaned it, but had trouble getting it back in. At some point I found a very small, square, copper colored piece under the trackball assembly and the sensor on the green chip which sits under the trackball looked odd, as though something peeled off it. I've also got a Pearl, and the same piece on the Pearl, which works perfectly, has the same type of piece on it. I replaced the working trackball from the Pearl onto the 8800. It scrolls well, but nothing happens when I push it down.

I went online and found "BlackBerry 8800/8300 Trackball "select" feature repair service" which described the problem this way:
    "When you press down on your trackball to "Select" and it is not working or it is "Selecting" on it's own, this repair will get your BlackBerry 8800 or 8830 working correctly again."

The above repair, which is $59.99, is at the following address - just add the www
    bbrepairshop.com/repair_8800.html]BBrepairshop.com - BlackBerry Repair Services for BlackBerry 8800 & 8830

I'm sure they have the same service for the Pearls. I think their prices are on the high side, based on the cost of buying a new trackball ring (not the whole assembly). I bought a complete Blackberry brand trackball assembly on Ebay for about $12, but this company sells just the ring for $20. They charge $65 to replace the trackball assembly and send it back in the next day.

Best of luck.
    04-09-08 03:55 PM
    Call the carrier of the phone and explain to them the issues, and if there is no physical damage to the phone they should replace it under the 1 yr mfg warranty.
    04-09-08 04:03 PM
    Just a question - doesn't taking out the trackball void the warranty?
    04-09-08 04:49 PM
    they would probably never know you took it out, unless you said that you did!
    04-10-08 06:23 AM
    I did some checking and was able to identify the name of the part that broke in my 8800 (referred to above.) The trackball doesn't press down although it scrolls to where I want to go. The sensor or contact that sits under the trackball is called the BlackBerry Select Sensor.

I went to BBRepairshop <dot> com and called them in Texas to explain the problem. They were very helpful, told me the name of the piece that failed and said this is a $59.99 fix that they can do with a 24 hour turn around. They also said that once they get the BB and ascertain what needs to be done, they will call me for payment information which is great - it's not like I have to hand over my credit card info without knowing what charges I'm in for.

I'm really happy to be able to keep my own BB and not have to go through insurance for $110 and get stuck with a refurbished model. The repair will not even cause my data (and software) to be erased. I wish I had found them last year when i had to suffer through 3 T-Mobile refurbished BBs, none of which worked properly.
    04-10-08 11:41 AM
    I had that same issue. I simply hooked up to my computer and updated it. Unfortunately I bought a new one before I did that! Now I have 2 pearls!
    04-18-08 07:53 AM
    my bb 8830 verizon world off ebay with no software no nothing (I am currently using pageplus) just started acting possesed. I turned off my bb when I noticed it was pushing random buttons. I turned on again & the ball is pushing letters & if I try to push letters I dont even know what im pushing because it is coming in as my password which shows *** what do I do ...HELP
    01-24-10 09:43 AM
    I have asked this forward of on forums but I have not gotten any good answers. So here goes, any in unison remember how I can coerce a quick $500?
    02-18-10 12:03 AM
    Wow, sorry o hear of this awful issue with the trackballs. i guess the trackpad switch by RIM makes alot more sense now, lol.
    02-18-10 08:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD