Apparently the password i thought i set on my phone does not work. I have tried all combinations possible and I have one entry left. 9/10... i know if i get the next one wrong the phone will wipe itself.

thats not a huge problem normally since i have it backed up.

but its a special occasion and the backup file is 5 hours away. help!

help!

shouldve used google synce....

GRR!!!

TIA
    12-13-09 06:04 AM
    contact verizon and have them reset it...possibly.
    12-13-09 08:55 AM
    It sounds like you may have made the easy mistake of accidentally using a shifted or alt password. For example, you thought you entered "wert" but you actually entered "123(". Since the entry is masked by *, you couldn't see what you were doing. With only one try left, try the alt or shifted version of whatever you are trying.

Your carrier cannot reset your password.
    12-13-09 10:21 AM
    Same happened to me on my 8830 last year. I'm w/ Sprint so CDMA, not GSM. Sprint just had me remove the SIM card. Unlocked and worked fine, BUT I don't need a SIM card for it to work since I'm w/ Sprint, unless I travel outside the US. But you should definitely call your provider. Verizon and Sprint 8830's DO NOT require SIM cards to work within the US. They are both on the CDMA network,not GSM like every other major carrier....as far as I know anyway.

What I DO KNOW, is that...that password is on the SIM card, not the phone, so if you remove your SIM card, you may be able to at least get to the info saved to device memory and use the phone. If it were me and you're with someone else other than Sprint/Verizon, call them before you do anything!

Hope that helps...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-18-09 04:01 PM
    ...What I DO KNOW, is that...that password is on the SIM card, not the phone...
    I'm sorry, but this statement is simply incorrect. My 8830 has no SIM card and is password protected. My 9630 has a SIM card and is password protected. I can remove the SIM card and the 9630 is still password protected. If removing the SIM card would bypass the password, password security would be useless.
    12-18-09 04:29 PM
    I'm sorry, but this statement is simply incorrect. My 8830 has no SIM card and is password protected. My 9630 has a SIM card and is password protected. I can remove the SIM card and the 9630 is still password protected. If removing the SIM card would bypass the password, password security would be useless.
    Well, I was on 9/10 tries, called Sprint in a panic because I knew another failed attempt would wipe my phone. They told me to turn off the phone, remove the SIM card, wait one minute and turn back on. That's exactly what I did and that phone operated 100% just fine until I got a new 8830 a few months ago. So, my statement IS CORRECT for MY Sprint Blackberry 8830 WE. This happened about a year ago with me. I told the original poster to contact her provider. There may be a different password having nothing to do with the SIM Card, but the password I had (10 tries to get it right) was directly attached to the SIM card, so once the SIM card was removed, the phone was fine.

12-18-09 05:41 PM
    Does your current Sprint 8830 have a SIM card? Can you repeat the test with it? Don't mis-enter your password, but remove the SIM and see if your 8830 unlocks.

12-18-09 05:46 PM
    Well, I was on 9/10 tries, called Sprint in a panic because I knew another failed attempt would wipe my phone. They told me to turn off the phone, remove the SIM card, wait one minute and turn back on. That's exactly what I did and that phone operated 100% just fine until I got a new 8830 a few months ago. So, my statement IS CORRECT for MY Sprint Blackberry 8830 WE. This happened about a year ago with me. I told the original poster to contact her provider. There may be a different password having nothing to do with the SIM Card, but the password I had (10 tries to get it right) was directly attached to the SIM card, so once the SIM card was removed, the phone was fine.

That seems really odd. Can anyone chime in as to what password this might be? Maybe SIM card security? I find it hard to believe that a BlackBerry, given RIM's expertise in security, would allow a reset of the password count just by yanking the SIM card
    12-18-09 09:48 PM
    The poster is mistaken in his conclusion. I'm not disputing what he says he did, but his conclusion that the password is on the SIM card and not the device is easily shown to be incorrect, as I did above. I have to admit at the same time that I cannot explain how he unlocked his 8830. I'm hoping he tries it again with his new 8830 and reports his results.

12-18-09 09:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD