09-28-11 11:52 PM
29 12
tools
    Ok,

I looked around, and can't seem to find anything when I searched, So can anybody show what the data/pictures at upper edges of my screen mean. I have the cingular themed 8800, and I'm not talking about the HOME icons, I'm refering to what I see at the very top of the home screen.

I've seen some weird stuff in my UPPER RIGHT corner.

1 - A tiny box, bigger box, and another tiny box, all connected to eachother in a diagnal pattern.

2 - EDGE

3 - an antenna picture,

4 - and my power bar.

5 - Occasional appearing & dissapearing blue arrows. (I assume they represent sending/recieving)

Sometimes, other stuff goes up there and nothing is in the manual that describes the meaning of these images. I really want to know what all the possible images are, and what each of them means.

All the manual covers is EDGE,edge,GPRS,gprs,GSM,(antenna picture)SOS;OFF;X.

I need to know what all the other things mean. Sometimes the visual representation isn't enough to know what it is.

*EDIT - I did notice an indicator go away when I closed (Beyond411) so maybe some of these are application specific, but if anyone could shed some light on these indicators, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks alot.

- Bryan
    05-16-07 03:08 PM
    Ok,

I looked around, and can't seem to find anything when I searched, So can anybody show what the data/pictures at upper edges of my screen mean. I have the cingular themed 8800, and I'm not talking about the HOME icons, I'm refering to what I see at the very top of the home screen.

I've seen some weird stuff in my UPPER RIGHT corner.

1 - A tiny box, bigger box, and another tiny box, all connected to eachother in a diagnal pattern.

2 - EDGE

3 - an antenna picture,

4 - and my power bar.

5 - Occasional appearing & dissapearing blue arrows. (I assume they represent sending/recieving)

Sometimes, other stuff goes up there and nothing is in the manual that describes the meaning of these images. I really want to know what all the possible images are, and what each of them means.

All the manual covers is EDGE,edge,GPRS,gprs,GSM,(antenna picture)SOS;OFF;X.

I need to know what all the other things mean. Sometimes the visual representation isn't enough to know what it is.

*EDIT - I did notice an indicator go away when I closed (Beyond411) so maybe some of these are application specific, but if anyone could shed some light on these indicators, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks alot.

- Bryan

1 - A tiny box, bigger box, and another tiny box, all connected to eachother in a diagnal pattern. - When you are using the Browser - just a symbol

2 - EDGE - Data Speed for that location on the network Its a little faster than GPRS

3 - an antenna picture - Signal Strength

4 - and my power bar. - This is the battery?

5 - Occasional appearing & dissapearing blue arrows. (I assume they represent sending/recieving) - This represent Data movement, in & out

Hope this helps...I may be corrected if i havent got this 100%
    05-16-07 03:39 PM
    well, those are the things I see, but I am looking for a more complete list of functions indicators.

EDGE, the manual explains..
    My antenna bar, was what I meant,and I was just referencing it. I have never found an explanation anywhere about all the meanings for each symbol indicator that can be displayed up there....

Anyone have a complete list or something near it?

Thanks for the response anyhow.

- Bryan
    05-16-07 07:45 PM
    I just figured out the small one that looks like an audio-tape (or not, that thing is bloody small!), near the network signal indicators, is the unread voicemail indicator.

It has a count of how many unread VM's too. I didn't know the networks had that ability.
    08-01-07 03:23 PM
    can you somehow turn these data arrows off? They kinda hide a few of my icons in various themes...
    01-06-08 09:54 AM
    Try this link from you phone. It shows some of the symbols:$
    Getting Started

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-06-08 10:09 AM
    The indicator that I cannot figure out is the circle with crosshairs though it (like a scope) with some sort of a vertical bar beside it. It lies just below the time on the home screen of the 'BB Dimension Zen' theme. I am guessing that this is an indicator to say whether the phone has reach to the enterprise server, but i am probably wrong. Any ideas?
    01-23-08 04:51 PM
    I am pretty sure that means that your GPS is in the mode that the Police can track if they were ever needed too. It won't go away. When you go into Adavanced options under Options, you can put it on to Location on, and the icon stays with a modification. It won't go away.
    01-23-08 06:37 PM
    talon12bp - try grabbing your "Getting Started Guide", or go to Blackberry.com, click your phone model > Support tab > "phone model" support > user guides > getting started guide. That should give you a list of icons that appear on the top of your screen.

Sayuuk - you can't turn off the data arrows. That's a visual indication that your phone is sending/receiving data, so you know you're on the 'net, comm via email, etc. If you don't see those, it means you have your data radio turned off (I guess that's a way to turn off the icons LOL).

Tylerd is correct - the circle/crosshair icon is your GPS location ON/OFF indicator. The crosshair with no "radio waves" on the right side is OFF, with "radio waves" is ON. It's under Options > Advanced Options > GPS > GPS Services > Location ON/OFF. If you have an 8830WE with GPS enabled, you'll need this ON in order to use the "where I am" function in BlackBerry Maps and use the GPS tracking function in same.

Now, what I would like to know is, how do you turn off the voicemail indicator when you have no messages in your account? I think the icon is "stuck"...
    01-24-08 09:16 AM
    Anyone knows what's the difference between edge and EDGE? Does 'EDGE' mean a better edge signal than 'edge'?
    01-27-08 09:11 AM
    I just figured out the small one that looks like an audio-tape (or not, that thing is bloody small!), near the network signal indicators, is the unread voicemail indicator.

It has a count of how many unread VM's too. I didn't know the networks had that ability.
    Thank you thank you thank you! This was driving me crazy, couldn't figure out what that indicator was. olddog
    04-05-08 01:01 PM
    The indicator that I cannot figure out is the circle with crosshairs though it (like a scope) with some sort of a vertical bar beside it. It lies just below the time on the home screen of the 'BB Dimension Zen' theme. I am guessing that this is an indicator to say whether the phone has reach to the enterprise server, but i am probably wrong. Any ideas?
    That the signal that Big Brother use to keep an eye on you. (Location Broadcast ON/OFF) what that is telling you is that you are publicly broadcasting your location.
    04-05-08 04:41 PM
    A new indicator showed up on the screen of my Pearl that I never noticed before. It's between the email locator and the volume indicator.

It's a tiny circle and looks a little bit like a world globe. Right now the numeral "3" is just to the left of it.

Anyone know what this is?

ETA: Found the answer here: http://forums.crackberry.com/f61/hom...icators-22627/

It's a message from your Blackberry that a web page that was not available when you tried to access it is now available. To erase the indicator, scroll down through your list of messages until you find the little globe icon next to the message, then delete the message. Voila! Pretty obscure, eh?
    Last edited by Lillieperl; 06-08-08 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Found the answer!
    06-08-08 04:47 PM
    06-08-08 04:54 PM
    i was just wondering on my pearl8130 in my smsoutbox i get the blue checkmark. i know it means message was sent but beside some of them there is a little black d.... i though it meant the text was read but then on some of my texts that i know were sent/read its not there..
    anyone have any insight?
    06-15-08 06:19 PM
    D is delivered. I always look for the two arrows in the right hand corner of the screen, cause if it's one arrow you lost connection for a second and takes longer to load pages.

06-15-08 06:27 PM
    This post is months after the original, but as it was information I was looking for myself I thought I would post it.

Here is a list and graphical representations of all of the home screen status indicators and icons and what they represent:

na.blackberry.com/eng/deliverables/3380/Tips_Guide_Palm_Treo_750_450281_11.pdf
    12-08-08 01:57 PM
    Better to add to an existing post than start a similar thread.

12-09-08 12:10 PM
    D is delivered. I always look for the two arrows in the right hand corner of the screen, cause if it's one arrow you lost connection for a second and takes longer to load pages.

When you say D means delivered, does that means that a message was delivered to the phone of the recipient, or does it mean the recipient actually opened the message?
    02-18-09 02:58 PM
    Anyone knows what's the difference between edge and EDGE? Does 'EDGE' mean a better edge signal than 'edge'?
    EDGE means that your data is connected and edge means that you don't have access to data.
    02-20-09 07:13 PM
    Lillieperl was 100% right

i had that same little globe icon appear on my phone, i was about to erase the whole damn phone to get rid of it. it is some sort of Web Browser related icon, that appeared in messages (a folder i have hidden in favor of using SMS and Email folder)

This icon only appeared after i request some free apps from Rogers

Thanks
    02-21-09 03:53 PM
    the D for me means that person uses the same provider, in my case Verizon. Hope it helps!
    03-02-09 12:27 AM

I have the same icon thing but i have checked my voice mail and it is still there i dont get plz help
    08-03-09 12:31 PM
    I had a indicator come on my phone. After 3 hr on the phone with Verizon noe one could help me. It was a circle with a line from 1 o'clock toward 7 o'clock to the center of the ciccle with 2 points on it. Had a red astrick at the 1 o'clock. Finally I saw that I was sent messages for upgrades to my e mail and after opening them it goes away. Hope this will help someone.

Danny
    08-26-09 07:27 AM
    Thank you bavcnc1. That indicator was driving me nuts, couldn't find what it was for. Your solved the problem but apparently it is not just for email. I downloaded another ap and later got an upgrade notice and I guess that that popped up but I didn't make the connection.

As a new blackberry user one thing I am not clear on. There are two message folders one with the small globe on it and one without the globe. I thought I was getting same messages in both folders which seemed to be be a needless duplication. The only time that hasn't happened is with this indicator upgrade msg. It went to my message folder but not my eamil folder as everything else has. Can anyone tell me why I need or shud have two mesaage folders when I'd prefer to have just one.
    09-14-09 10:21 AM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD