Just wondering why the 8800 through Rogers is so expensive?

Currently on a 3 year contract the price of the phone is $425

What's up with that??
    Last edited by jaydow11; 02-08-08 at 10:39 AM.
    02-08-08 10:20 AM
    Wow!

Her in the UK I got a T-Mobile contract with an unlocked, unbranded 8800 from the Carfone Warehouse for:

Flext20 (�34 of credit) - �20
    +web'n'walk (unlimited data) - �7.50
    BlackBerry plan - �5
    Being mis-sold BB plan - -�5

�27.50 monthly with free 8800 on 18 month contract.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-08-08 10:27 AM
    Rogers is Canada?

I pay a total of �25 ($50) to o2 uk, got the bb of eBay.

All UK carriers give you the bb free on certain pay monthly tariffs to which you then add a bb data plan.

Ithink Rogers customers should get together and protest!

02-08-08 10:46 AM
    Rogers is Canada?

I pay a total of �25 ($50) to o2 uk, got the bb of eBay.

All UK carriers give you the bb free on certain pay monthly tariffs to which you then add a bb data plan.

Ithink Rogers customers should get together and protest!

Yes Rogers is in Canada. We get screwed BIG TIME on all of our wireless stuff... phones and plans are way more expensive than in say the US for example.
    02-08-08 01:44 PM
    Do you not have a telecommunications watchdog you can complain to? Here in the UK we have Ofcom which regulates all the Telecom providers and for example they recently announced that the uk carriers had to reduce their rates for calling other countries in Europe.
    Failing that if enough Rogers customers get together and complain they may do something. Who knows? You have nothing to lose so its worth a try.
    02-08-08 02:01 PM
    A further point. There are also no 3 year contracts here most people go for 12/18 months but the most that you can get is 24 months.

3 years is a long long time especailly when new devices come out regularly.
    02-08-08 02:05 PM
    Most of the wireless companies here all all priced about the same...

You don't have to get a contractsfor 3 years and you can always change it to a different price plan if you want to. It just makes it so you can't leave Rogers without getting bent over and your wallet stolen for however long of a contract you go for!

Every year, Rogers does anyways, gives you a $100 "hardware upgrade" option. So you can get new phones every year but they arn't free, they just give you a $100 off what ever the regular price is....

However, in order to get the lowest price possible, you almost always have to sign up for a 3 year plan.

For example, I just ordered the new Pearl 8110/8130 and on a 3 year plan the phone is $250! However, with my $100 credit, it's only $150 (not bad but still pretty pricy).

Now if I was to just buy the phone with no contract at all or only a 1 year plan, the price on the phone is $450! WOW

So expensive it's crazy....
    02-08-08 03:08 PM
    I feel for you, I really do.

I actually got a discount from 02 because I complained. Reason was that a Blackberry can only be bought here on a voice plan (minutes and texts) but I have hearing difficluties and cannot make or receive calls the 600 minutes were worthless to me so I gave of to them in the politest way I could and got a �10 ($20) discount. They have given it to me for 12 months and at the end of that time I have to contact them again to see if they can do anything further. It does sometimes pay to complain.
    02-08-08 03:25 PM
    HAHAHA! Being a rogers customer my self, I have never paid over a $100 for any of my BB devices from them, you just need to threathen to cancel and port your number, as long as you can bargain with them your good to go....Rogers has a Tier system, the higher Tier you are the more discounts you get on devices and leverage to drop prices on those devices.
    02-08-08 08:39 PM
    HAHAHA! Being a rogers customer my self, I have never paid over a $100 for any of my BB devices from them, you just need to threathen to cancel and port your number, as long as you can bargain with them your good to go....Rogers has a Tier system, the higher Tier you are the more discounts you get on devices and leverage to drop prices on those devices.
    Yea, I have been a Rogers customer for the past 8 years. They have been pretty good to me over these years and I know for a fact that I'm paying considerably less with them than I would be with Telus or Bell.

I have always had the cheapest plans possible ($20/month) and just phone in every few months to find if there are any better plans for the same price.

For example, I currently have a corporate plan and it's $20/month. I get 250 anytime min, free evenings/weekends, voicemail, Caller ID, call forward, bla bla bla... My monthly bill is about $29/month net!

I don't talk on my phone a lot and have never gone over my monthly limit...

That same corp plan through telus was around $35/month!

Cheers,

Jay
    02-10-08 04:00 PM
    Greetings,

My first post. A couple of things. I am with Bell but I need to get a BB. So I call Bell and ask will they support a Wi fi BB, they told me to go...

I called Rogers and they said they dont 'officially' support the phone but many people are using 8820's already. I ordered a brand new 8820 from the US for $400 and I will only sign with rogers for a year. (I dont give a--- about the curve and camera option)

It is much cheaper than getting sucked into buying a three year contract ( Rogers) for a piece of **** 8800 for $425!

The 2 carriers can kiss my A-- .

BB
    02-10-08 09:13 PM
    Greetings,

My first post. A couple of things. I am with Bell but I need to get a BB. So I call Bell and ask will they support a Wi fi BB, they told me to go...

I called Rogers and they said they dont 'officially' support the phone but many people are using 8820's already. I ordered a brand new 8820 from the US for $400 and I will only sign with rogers for a year. (I dont give a--- about the curve and camera option)

It is much cheaper than getting sucked into buying a three year contract ( Rogers) for a piece of **** 8800 for $425!

The 2 carriers can kiss my A-- .

BB
    Cool! Personally since I have been happy with rogers, I would rather just extend my 3 year contract and get the phone for cheap rather than buying one for $400+ ....

You pretty much have to stick with rogers anyways because they are the only GSM carrier in Canada... Unless you sell your phone and get a CDMA one if you ever switch....

Jay
    02-11-08 02:41 AM
    Jaydow11,

I do not want to sign with anyone for longer than a year. Competition will improve and someone will drop their pants in Canada and open up Wi-fi. It is already happening in the USA. Rogers is already supporting (unofficially many wi-fi phones)

Until that time,I will NOT pay 425$ for a Blackberry 8800 that is already way dated to Teddy rogers. I would rather pay less and get a phone that has a future IMHO.

BB
    02-11-08 11:25 AM
    thank god that AT&T gives us the option to renew with resonable prices. I do have to sign a new 2 year term everytime but i get a new berry for around $100 at least once a year. I think that it is a revenue based system though, the more you generate for them the more often you can get new equipment at larger discounts.
    02-23-08 12:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD