I have read some of the threads below and my issue is somewhat different.When I use any of the stock BB ring tones I am happy with the volume set at medium. High is louder than I normally need. I have downloaded a few mp3 files into my ring tone folder. Whenever I use one of these as a custom ringer for one contact the volume is so low that I cannot hear it when in the holster. The same song play fine with the media player. Any suggestion on how to boost the audio level?
    03-18-09 04:55 PM
    All mp3's will play loud through the media player, there are programs that will allow you to change the sound level before you save it to your device. I use the classic ringtone for phone calls and message tones from zedge moblie and never have a problem hearing my alerts.
    03-18-09 07:49 PM
    Thanks, I also use the Classic tone with no problems. I just encounter volume issues with a custom mp3 tone. I met a friend today who said he has the same issue. I wonder if there is a fix??
    03-23-09 06:08 PM
    I fix would be using Audacity
    03-23-09 06:18 PM
    Yeah, it sounds like the issue is the volume level of the file itself

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-23-09 06:30 PM
    I use Nero's WaveEditor to up the volume on low audio.
    03-23-09 06:31 PM
    Do they have a downloadable file?
    03-23-09 07:06 PM
    I fix would be using Audacity
    where do you get Audacity??

thanks
    03-23-09 07:09 PM
    Ok since your a newbie i will let you in on a little secret in locating stuff you want. Listen closely cuz its going to get confusing!
    Go to google, You still with me? Type in A-U-D-A-C-I-T-Y, Heres the hard part, hit enter!
    03-23-09 09:07 PM
    Ok since your a newbie i will let you in on a little secret in locating stuff you want. Listen closely cuz its going to get confusing!
    Go to google, You still with me? Type in A-U-D-A-C-I-T-Y, Heres the hard part, hit enter!
    I thought of that about 5 seconds after I did the post! Oh well, you got me hanging in there with the tough stuff. So, I was fooling around with Audacity on the file I would like to get working as a ring tone. I can move the volume up but it distorts very quickly when moved above the original level. Is the idea to max the audio level in Audacity and then save the file back on the BB and then try it as a ring tone? Thanks for the help!
    03-24-09 09:52 AM
    I have the same problem. The BlackBerry website suggested updating the OS, which I did. Didn't fix the volume problem on ring tones. Pre-loaded tones ring plenty loud, downloaded or self-made ring quietly, even on "loud" and "high".

I tried a couple of websites that boost the mp3 volume, and I tried it myself with a sound editor (Wave Pad - free and excellent, by the way). No dice.

It's driving me nuts. My ringtone is "Highway to ****". Who wants to listen to that any way but loud?
    03-24-09 10:41 PM
    Wow, that's interesting. I can't post the name of the AC/DC song. Well, it's "Highway to [the place where Lucifer supposedly lives]". Ha!
    03-24-09 10:43 PM
    Yeah it's funny that we cant type h##L or A@@. To the OP did you ever resolve your issue?
    03-25-09 10:36 AM
    I had the same problem. I use custom mp3 ringtones that I edit. They would play fine with the media player and the built-in (came with the phone) ringtones had plenty of volume, but trying to use a custom mp3 as a ringtone didn't produce enough volume to hear at work over the backround office noise.

I re-edited all my ringtones to increase the volume and reloaded them and it was OK, but not good. If I played the re-edited ringtones on a high volume setting on the 8830 it was too distorted.

Then last week I spent some time installing the new Sprint released 4.5 software for the phone (I am on Alltel). Once that was done my re-edited custom ringtones were way too loud. I replaced them with the normally edited (normal volume) ringtones that I had before and they are plenty loud with no distortion.

I think there was a fix in the new v4.5 OS for the 8830.

There are instructions here in the Crackberry Forums on how to upgrade the phone software. It should work. Good Luck

Jordan
    03-25-09 04:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD