I recently bought a BB 8830 from US Cellular a little over a month ago. About two weeks ago I started noticing that the black paint on my keys was chipping off. I have since taken the phone into the store where I bought it and everyone working there agreed that the paint should not be coming off so soon. Because the manager was not there at the time, the saleswoman said that she would call me later and let me know what I should do to return the phone. She called me later and gave me a number to call US Cellular customer service and they would take care of the return for me. After calling them they informed me that the warranty did not cover "wear and tear." (I treat this phone like it is a baby. It has never been dropped or even scratched yet. Again, I've only had it for a month and two weeks) She then told me that there was nothing that she could do and that I might call RIM Manufactures and gave me the number. So I call RIM and the representative was quick to tell me that it was US Cellular's responsibility and that there was nothing that he could do. So now here I am with a phone that if the paint keeps coming off at this rate, I will not be able to see the numbers or symbols in a year. I could maybe understand if I had the phone for 6 months or longer calling it "Wear and Tear", but one month and two weeks? I have friends who have BB's (reason why I bought one) that have had them for a lot longer than me and use way more than I do, who do not have this problem. I'm very disappointed in both companies reluctance to stand behind their product, a product that is supposed to be top of the line, when it is obvious that there has been a defect. I'm really not sure where to go from here and feel like I got screwed. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    12-04-07 04:30 PM
    RIM is correct to say it's not their problem. carriers are responsible for returns/exchanges, etc. but US Cellular is just being stupid. i'd try taking to another of the carrier's stores in the area if u can. sometimes the sales reps and managers can be real arseholes at retail stores, regardless of the carrier.
    12-04-07 04:36 PM
    I was thinking about that. It's much easier to tell someone to **** off over the phone vs. face to face. Plus looking at the phone you can tell that there has been no damage to it to cause this. Thanks for the reply.
    12-04-07 04:53 PM
    go after u.s. cellular, unfortunately RIM has no involvement, go to a store, ask for the manager straight up and talk to him politely and show him the phone has never been dropped, there should be no scratches to indicate that, if you've been a customer with them for a while things should be easier, but lay down your foot and make sure you get it replaced
    12-04-07 05:26 PM
    Thats my game plan for tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes
    12-04-07 08:34 PM
    Or you could just buy another keyboard. Not the answer you want, I know.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-05-07 11:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD