Hey guys,

We had an 8830 which was no longer functional here at my office. Continuous reboot but would never be recognized by the PC via USB, so I couldn't even restore its firmware. My boss let me gut it and try to desolder some of the components as an experiment to see about replacing the USB ports and the like, a successful failure if you ask me. Successful in that I removed most of the USB port, failure in that I only removed most of it.

So I just took the casing and the LCD off it since those were the only two good parts (even the keyboard's membrane was shot). I was wondering if, aside from just as a spare replacement, there is a way to use the LCD? It's obviously a very nice bright clear screen, so I was considering using it as a small interface on a PC or something like people have done with old Nokia screens. Thoughts?
    12-15-08 02:02 PM
    Silence indicates that I should just hold onto this for a spare, I gather? Thanks either way, guys. I'll hold onto it.
    12-15-08 09:52 PM
    Have you tried leaving the battery out of the device when you plug it in and begin to reload the OS? Once you get it going you can put the battery back in.
    12-15-08 10:27 PM
    would the screen be big enough for a car pc or something like that? Gps?
    12-15-08 10:31 PM
    would the screen be big enough for a car pc or something like that? Gps?
    Tiny GPS maybe, but that's about the best. I was thinking something like a palmrest display in a laptop, or even an external display on the back of the lid...

Now the next part of this, does anyone know any programs for using these LCDs without the onboard controller?
    12-17-08 02:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD