Hey everyone,

I'm trying to dismantle my Bb8820 and replace the LCD screen, which has been damaged in a FREAK RAINSTORM a couple weeks back. I figured out the LCD is at fault because the backlight seems to have completely disappeared (though everything else about the phone still works perfectly.)

This is my first time taking apart such expensive equipment and I'd like to do it correctly. I can find guides on how to do it for other models, but I'd feel better if I had a walkthrough for the 8800 series.

Thanks!
    07-22-10 05:53 PM
    07-22-10 05:57 PM
    Nice. Thank you very much, sir.
    I'll update this post in about an hour with my results, in case anybody's interested.
    07-23-10 04:08 PM
    Just wondering...I have taken apart my 8800, and separated, and reattached the LCD screen and the cable and screen is completely black, does that mean the LCD screen is faulty and should get a new one? So far, even without the screen working, I got it to install the latest 4.5 OS on it. And when the phone boots, the red light indicator comes on for few seconds and goes out (just like my 8900). I'm just wondering if what I'm think is probably right, or if others have different ideas.

Thanks
    08-02-10 08:52 PM
    Just wondering...I have taken apart my 8800, and separated, and reattached the LCD screen and the cable and screen is completely black, does that mean the LCD screen is faulty and should get a new one? So far, even without the screen working, I got it to install the latest 4.5 OS on it. And when the phone boots, the red light indicator comes on for few seconds and goes out (just like my 8900). I'm just wondering if what I'm think is probably right, or if others have different ideas. ---Thanks
    Did you buy the correct screen? Often you have to match up the numbers on the back of the LCD and order the correct one based on those numbers otherwise it won't work for you... Do you think you may have given your device a *zap* of static electricity when you were playing around in there? Static-inducing surfaces, carpeting, etc. can carry the unfriendly charge straight to your hardware unless you are properly grounded too but I can't really speak to that much.
    08-02-10 10:15 PM
    It's also possible that you were too rough with the screen latch itself.
    08-07-10 01:27 PM
    It's been a while since I last took a look at the 8800. And I took it apart and rebuilt the phone again, and this time when I inserted the battery, the screen briefly flashed white and went dead again. Im reloading the OS as we speak. I think Im about to give up on this device. Thanks everyone for their inputs!
    12-18-10 01:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD