Just got a new OEM black keypad from ebay for 9bucks shipped.
    Anyone replace this yet with any pointers--thanks ahead
    04-14-08 02:58 PM
    nevermind, just did it-took about 5 minutes.

remove battery cover
    battery
    4 tork screws(t8x40)
    carefully pry the chromestrips a lil apart
    and simply pull the old one out,takes a little skill--little.
    clean your old pad with some alch. and put the new keyboard in.
    04-14-08 04:04 PM
    Saw you were asking how to remove an old keypad to put in a new one. I need to buy a replacement keypad for my 8820 (my toddler got a hold of my 8820 and bit several buttons off.

Also, did you finally figure out how to safely remove old keypad and put in new one. If I am lucky enough to find a replacement keypad I will want to know I can replace it myself. Thanks.

Also feel free to email directly spareti@yahoo.com Thanks again.
    04-27-08 01:53 PM
    yeah i was looking on ebay for one for awhile that was "qwerty" and not "awerty". i finally found 6 of them, but one of them for under 10bucks shipped from hongkong. it was a OEM Blackberry.
    04-27-08 08:47 PM
    First remove the battery - NO POWER during surgery. You remove the four screws in the corners of the battery compartment. Pry off the side rails from the bottom and this is where I only went so far. (they take quite a bit of effort and I recommend some plastic pry bar (some places that sell the keyboards also sell the tools - I used a plastic citrus peeler) I was able to pry them away just far enough (you can see the screw holes) so that I would also flex the front sufficiently to drop out the old keyboard (silver 8830, here) and slip in the new one.

The upper part of the rails is held by two sided tenacious tape from what I've read. So I just bent them and wedged in paper clips to keep them offset to allow the front to move away.

It really was not that hard.
    04-27-08 11:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD