hello,
    i got a new unlocked, unbranded blackberry 8800 from a colleague of mine and i was wondering about the OS reinstall. it seems to have 4.3.1.27 on it and i have no idea if this will work with rogers. I want it to work with rogers (i need the push e-mail) and i also want bb maps. I've also not been able to locate a browser on this blackberry! isn't this strange?!?

please help. i'm really confused.

thx.
    04-08-08 06:52 PM
    Do a master reset.

Go to Options > Security options >General Settings > Press the BB button and select wipe handheld.

Hope it helps.
    04-08-08 08:38 PM
    Are you absolutely 100% certain you are running the 4.3 OS? You went to options > about, and the third line says v 4.3? As far as I know, 4.3 doesn't exist yet for the 8800. If you, some how, have 4.3 on the phone, I would leave it be.

From the sounds of it, you don't have a data plan for the phone yet. If you don't have a data plan, you won't see the browser, and bb maps will not work.
    04-08-08 08:52 PM
    If there's no data plan on it, then that is probably why there's no browser on it currently.
    04-08-08 08:53 PM
    Are you absolutely 100% certain you are running the 4.3 OS? You went to options > about, and the third line says v 4.3? As far as I know, 4.3 doesn't exist yet for the 8800. If you, some how, have 4.3 on the phone, I would leave it be.

From the sounds of it, you don't have a data plan for the phone yet. If you don't have a data plan, you won't see the browser, and bb maps will not work.
    Just a question, why are some members still making statements (that confuses others) that they don't need the BB plan? Do they know something that the rest of us don't? I get an occasional e-mail members about this issue.
    04-09-08 12:18 AM
    I know what you mean... My honest opinion is that some newbies think that wifi means anything and everything will work, magically. And some members enforce that by saying everything works for them over wifi without a data plan, when in reality they mean accessing any web site from the BB browser over wifi works. When I hear "everything works over wifi" I think so that means anything that I put on my phone will work then, which just isn't true. One of my pet peeves on here is people who feed bad info.

I have always stated that these apps will not work without a BB data plan.
    04-09-08 01:08 AM
    i'm completely new to blackberry so please excuse my ignorance. i wasn't aware that it was possible for the carrier to make applications appear on my phone when it isn't there now. i was just concerned that i didn't have a browser, and everybody kept mentioning about the browser. thought i was missing something...

if everything will work after i get the blackberry plan with rogers, then i'll be happy. i'm learning. thank-you.
    04-10-08 05:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD