I've read several posts on this, but need a little more clarification. So if someone who has traveled abroad with a Verizon phone using prepaid global cards could confirm this for me....

1. I get an 8830 model phone and unlock it, I've read I need a non-verizon sim card to do this, can it be a prepaid global? Or since I'm unlocking in the states, does it need to be a TMobile or other US carrier card to unlock it?

2. I successfully unlock the phone and travel to Europe using a Prepaid global card... do I still need to be set up on a global plan from Verizon for my phone to work?

3. If I am using a Prepaid global card, can I still get emails?

4. Does BB Messenger work abroad? Verizon said no, but I've seen others post that they have used it.

5. Anyone have a recommendation for a good global card?

Thank you so much for answering my questions! I just don't want to "think" I've got it all figured out and then end up with no phone on my travels because of an error on my part!

Jen
    07-15-08 09:38 AM
    I've read several posts on this, but need a little more clarification. So if someone who has traveled abroad with a Verizon phone using prepaid global cards could confirm this for me....

1. I get an 8830 model phone and unlock it, I've read I need a non-verizon sim card to do this, can it be a prepaid global? Or since I'm unlocking in the states, does it need to be a TMobile or other US carrier card to unlock it?

You don't need a SIM card to unlock the phone.

2. I successfully unlock the phone and travel to Europe using a Prepaid global card... do I still need to be set up on a global plan from Verizon for my phone to work?

Only if you want to have the capability of receiving/sending email.

3. If I am using a Prepaid global card, can I still get emails?

No. The vodafone SIM you get enables you to roam on GSM networks which have roaming agreements with Verizon - you change the SIM, you then no longer receive emails.

4. Does BB Messenger work abroad? Verizon said no, but I've seen others post that they have used it.

It does.

5. Anyone have a recommendation for a good global card?

I used united mobile but other people I know have used telestial with good results Global Riiing SIM Card

Thank you so much for answering my questions! I just don't want to "think" I've got it all figured out and then end up with no phone on my travels because of an error on my part!

Jen
    If you want email, the best bet would be to enable the global email plan and unlock the phone. Then if you need to make calls locally, purchase a local prepaid SIM and swap that in when you want to make calls.My solution - carry a smaller phone with the local sim and keep my 8830 with the vodafone SIM to get my emails and PIN messages.
    07-15-08 09:47 PM
    I found this link today:

� FAQ: Get Verizon To Unlock Your 8830 For International SIM Cards | BerryReview.com

Not sure it answers all your questions though.
    07-16-08 07:26 AM
    You DO need a SIM to unlock the phone. I had to buy a verizon SIM before they could unlock it. I just unlocked mine in april so I'm sure nothing has changed.

I agree with buying a local prepaid phone and then keep your BB for emails, data, etc. Just remember to add the global access data plan before you go. If you buy a SIM card in europe and put it in your phone then no, BB messanger will not work.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-16-08 05:14 PM
    ^ I got mine unlocked in February of this year. They emailed me the unlock instructions but I had to call them to confirm if it was indeed unlocked. I had ordered the Vodafone SIM but did not have it by then. Maybe they changed something, I don't know - the best would be to call global support and confirm.
    07-16-08 07:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD