I've searched the forum and, so far, have only been able to find partial answers to my questions.

I'm considering upgrading my Treo for an BB8830 (thru Bell Mobility Ontario), but I'm concerned that I'm going to be giving up some email capabailities, especially when dealing with my primary POP email account (as provided by my ISP).

I use my handheld mostly to check for urgent emails, and send quick replies if needed. My primary email device is my laptop. (I use Eudora on WinXP).

Here are my questions (which Bell Mobility itself could not answer properly!);

1) Does the 8830 have an email client that can 'pull' my POP emails? (I have no need for push, and frankly don't want it).

2) Can I selectively delete emails from the email server from my 8830? (eg. delete spam, keep important emails to be later downloaded/saved/dealt with on my PC).

I like the worldwide capability of the 8830, and that's what is attracting me to it.

Thanks in advance for you replies!
    09-12-07 09:54 AM
    I Hope you are not serious about questioning the email capability of a blackberry period! haha
    09-12-07 11:14 AM
    Actually, I am!

If I cannot pull my POP3 email messages whenever I want, and selectively delete them from the email server, I'm not interested in the Blackberry.
    09-12-07 11:28 AM
    You get them instantly hows that for size? It blows the Treo away. It seems like you havent done any research am I right? Because if you did, you wouldnt have made that post, as a mtter of fact you'd have a blackberry in your hand as we speak.
    09-12-07 11:46 AM
    I don't want to get into a flame war with you t.rosa, but I have done my research, and posting my questions here is part of that.

Like I said, I don't want email messages pushed to me; I'd rather get them when I want. But, so far, no one I've asked at the carrier (Bell Mobility) has been able to tell me if I can do that or not. I was hoping the enlighten folk here could answer my (what appears to be simple) question.

I don't want to get into a Treo vs Blackberry discussion here; I'm simply on a hunt for more info, so I can make an informed decision.
    09-12-07 12:14 PM
    Ok, i am not trying to get into a "flame" war with you lol. And as for you wanting to get them when you want? That is an odd request lol, Is there a reason for that? I would imagine people would like to get their email and be notified as soon as it arrives. Is there a reason for your unique need?
    09-12-07 12:47 PM
    Yes, there is a reason for my unique needs; it's the way I'm used to working. I'd rather have my tools conform to the way I work, rather than change my work habits to conform to the tool.

t.rosa: You obviously are a big Blackberry supporter; can you answer my two questions above (ie. in my first post)?
    09-12-07 12:55 PM
    If you set up your BB for email, they will be pushed, and this is entirely intentional. The only way to "pull" email would be turning your BIS on and off on the device through your E-Mail setup, which requires you to log in and out, and then you have to wait up to 20 minutes before you see any email popped to you, so it wouldnt be "pulled" instantly either.

You can selectively delete from the server, as the BB will allow you to delete messages either from the device alone, or the device and the server at the same time.
    09-12-07 02:41 PM
    Thanks for the reply [email protected]! That's exactly the info I was looking for.
    09-12-07 03:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD