A friend of mine has a VZW 8830 and when she recieves a call the ringer rings thru the earpiece instead of the external speaker. I looked at the BB and checked different settings and couldn't figure it out and when opened the Media and played a couple ringtones they played thru the external speaker. Battery pull didn't fix the problem.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-11-08 08:04 AM
    Unfortunately this is a know issue at least with the Verizon 8830. Costomers are begging for a solution to the problem, and one would think that it would be a simple software patch seeing as the media player makes use of the external speaker as you noted. BUT, there has not been a satisfactory address to this issue as of yet.

Check out the sticky threads on the 8830 page for a thread titled something like "Loudest ringer for 8830." The poster offers a classic sounding ringer that is actually pretty loud as far as the 8830 goes. Good luck!

-Pat
    06-11-08 01:26 PM
    The ringer volume isn't the problem the problem is she receives a call the ringer rings in the ear piece when it should be ringing from the external speaker (speaker phone speaker)

06-11-08 01:53 PM
    I think they all do that (Verizon 8830's at least). I'm pretty certain that is the problem with the ringer. Maybe I'm not understanding your problem though.. Sorry
    06-11-08 02:15 PM
    Ok so all of VZW 8830's ringers don't work? I'm not sure how else to explain it. When her phone rings it rings in the part that you put against your ear like when you're talking to somebody and you've got the phone against your ear so she has to put the phone against her ear to hear it ring. If you open the Media and play a ringtone it plays thru the external speaker witch is the speaker that the ringer should play from when she receives a call. When I say external speaker I'm talking about the speaker at the top of the phone that the sound comes from when you have the speaker phone on or when you play media. That is the speaker that the ringer should play from when she receives a call. Does your 8830 do that?
    06-11-08 04:07 PM
    This is the first time I've heard of this problem I've heard about VZW 8830's ringer volume not being very loud but I've never heard of the ringer not playing from the external speaker when receiving a call. I had an Alltel 8830 and the ringer volume wasn't to loud on it but when I received a call the ringer played from the external speaker.
    06-11-08 04:15 PM
    There's no way the ringer is coming through the headset. It's just the ringtone is not loud enough. Go into Media Player and play it. If you hit menu and choose Activate Headset, it will switch to the earpiece... is that what it sounds like when it's ringing. If the user has the ringer profile set to low, it'll be low enough where you have to hold it to your ear to hear it. Switch ringtones to one of the stock RIM ones and test it out. What you're experiencing is just a low ringtone, that's all.
    06-11-08 08:35 PM
    She's using the classic phone set to medium.

06-12-08 05:32 AM
    First of all, if she's complaining about the volume why is it set to medium? Second, search one of the hundreds of threads about ringer volume, hers isn't unique, we all have the problem. The ringer plays through the external speaker, the same one that the media player uses, it's just much quieter. There are links to louder ringtones, instructions on how to make your own, and I even made a thread offering to MAKE louder tones for people.
    06-12-08 03:00 PM
    Blackngray70,
    I have to say that I have not had that complaint. Besides the complaint that the ringer is not loud enough.
    I would change the ringer volume to High, but you may need to have her bring it in to VZW service center to have it verified.
    06-12-08 07:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD