Problem software on 8830 world edit
    Hi
    First time on Crackbberry. Hope I am on the right forum. I have a problem!! I was the successful bidder on an Ebay auction for an 8830 world edition for the Telus system. The phone came with nothing but a charger. It was password protected so I did the enter password 10 times & managed to reset the system. I now find that the phone has certain restrictions. You do a search & a message comes up IT dept will not allow download. It will not even allow me to join face book. It was suggested to me that I should wipe the phone clean of the operating system & reload a new copy of the OS. How would I do this? Telus have been less than helpful teling me that I need to go to the company who owned the phone & have them reset it. They would not tell me who that company was & thus far the seller on Ebay has not replied to my request for this info. I am off to Europe in 6 weeks & wanted to take this phone so instead of taking my lap top. My plan is to unlock the phone & use it with a Sim card from a supplier other than telus who want $3.40 per min roaming charge!!!! Any help appreciated.
    08-18-09 11:07 AM
    Problem software on 8830 world edit
    Hi
    First time on Crackbberry. Hope I am on the right forum. I have a problem!! I was the successful bidder on an Ebay auction for an 8830 world edition for the Telus system. The phone came with nothing but a charger. It was password protected so I did the enter password 10 times & managed to reset the system. I now find that the phone has certain restrictions. You do a search & a message comes up IT dept will not allow download. It will not even allow me to join face book. It was suggested to me that I should wipe the phone clean of the operating system & reload a new copy of the OS. How would I do this? Telus have been less than helpful teling me that I need to go to the company who owned the phone & have them reset it. They would not tell me who that company was & thus far the seller on Ebay has not replied to my request for this info. I am off to Europe in 6 weeks & wanted to take this phone so instead of taking my lap top. My plan is to unlock the phone & use it with a Sim card from a supplier other than telus who want $3.40 per min roaming charge!!!! Any help appreciated.
    Welcome saltspring! You've come to the right place! Your phone is set up for a previous user for BES. BES is the enterprise version of Blackberry email and is managed by some IT department. Yuck. You can reload your phone's OS, then go to email setup and set up your BIS account. Actually, I've listed these steps backwards. You should try setting up BIS first to avoid dealing with the OS.

To set up your BIS account, go to Blackberry.com's Telus setup page. You will need to create a new account. At some point, you should be able to set up the email addresses you want linked to your phone such as yahoo, gmail, etc. If this works, your phone should drop out of BES mode and you shouldn't see any more "ask IT to help you with this" messages. If not, you can reload your OS.

To reload your OS, you will need a windows pc. You can simply install the new OS software on your pc like any other pc app and the next time you connect your phone, it will offer to upgrade the OS. Another option is to visit RIM's software update page that says it will allow you to update your phone right from your browser. You can "upgrade" the os even if the version isn't different as a way to put your phone back to its factory state and start using it without those "IT restriction" messages, etc.

hope this helps...
    08-18-09 02:00 PM
    I have to say off the top this site is amazing. The response has been great. The depth of knowledge & enthusiasm is very impressive. Now to your tips. First problem I am a Mac person not PC. I have managed to loan a USB cord so am now able to connect to the computer will it work on my Mac? Someone mentioned that I can find the download that I need to reset the OS on Crackberry, would you know were I should look? Thanks again for your time.
    08-18-09 02:16 PM
    I have to say off the top this site is amazing. The response has been great. The depth of knowledge & enthusiasm is very impressive. Now to your tips. First problem I am a Mac person not PC. I have managed to loan a USB cord so am now able to connect to the computer will it work on my Mac? Someone mentioned that I can find the download that I need to reset the OS on Crackberry, would you know were I should look? Thanks again for your time.
    I'm a Mac person as well. I borrow a pc from work to do my OS upgrades. RIM is saying they will release a Mac version of Desktop Manager soon that will offer us Mac users the ability to do OS upgrades and backups but for now you will have to use a PC. I'm not sure this will work inside Parallels and I'm certain it won't work inside Crossover. Before bothering with the OS, try creating a BIS account for yourself on Telus' web site. You should be able to perform all your set up there and once you enter your PIN, your email should start showing up on your phone and hopefully those IT restrictions should simply melt away since you will be set up on BIS not BES. It's worth a try...

For sync, I suggest you skip PocketMac (which is free) and go directly to Missing Sync (which costs money). I found PocketMac created duplicates but M/S has not. No. Wait. Perhaps you should use PocketMac for now and wait for RIM to give us Desktop Manager for OS X. If you get tired of PM's foolishness and are tired of waiting for DM you can buy Missing Sync.
    08-18-09 02:24 PM
    mac person here as well. I load the OS using bootcamp on an intel mac. i actually have no problem syncing the calendar with pocketmac and i just did the address book once and loaded all the names/addresses...then i turned off the sync for those items. BTW i have not had luck using parallels to load OS.
    08-18-09 02:55 PM
    mac person here as well. I load the OS using bootcamp on an intel mac. i actually have no problem syncing the calendar with pocketmac and i just did the address book once and loaded all the names/addresses...then i turned off the sync for those items. BTW i have not had luck using parallels to load OS.
    I didn't mention bootcamp because I've heard that every time somebody boots windows on a Mac an angel has his wings taken away.
    08-18-09 03:06 PM
    I have downloaded the software to my desktop together with a copy of 'Boot Camp' Now what do I do? The reason I have a Mac is that it is bullet proof & dummies like me can do it no harm. However when it comes to downloads & how to handle them unless they self install I have no idea what to do!!!! Have tried clicking on them & connecting the USB cable but nothing. If I was'nt on an island I would take it in to a service centre & have them do it. HELP!!
    08-18-09 05:53 PM
    I have downloaded the software to my desktop together with a copy of 'Boot Camp' Now what do I do? The reason I have a Mac is that it is bullet proof & dummies like me can do it no harm. However when it comes to downloads & how to handle them unless they self install I have no idea what to do!!!! Have tried clicking on them & connecting the USB cable but nothing. If I was'nt on an island I would take it in to a service centre & have them do it. HELP!!
    Whoa. Slow down there. Bootcamp will allow you to boot an MS os on your Mac. You will need a MS os disk to install. You will need to create a partition on your Mac for windows to use and boot from. All recent MS os versions require some sort of "activation" ritual which often involves a phone call to Microsoft to beg and plead and promise you didn't steal their OS. I thought you already had an MS os available. It sounds like you don't. I would stick with Telus and RIM tech support.

Telus should be motivated to get your phone working so they can sell you minutes and data. If you are paying them for data and they have not got your BIS features working demand a refund for your data fees. IMHO it is their problem to make your data work when they allow you to activate a BB phone on their network.

At no point in your posts did I see where you tried setting up BIS through Telus/RIM web site. Why are you focused on the OS? As a Mac user, upgrading a BB OS is near impossible without 1) purchasing and installing windows under bootcamp or 2) borrowing a pc.
    08-18-09 06:06 PM
    Ha!!! Who are you, R0k? Fell on the floor laughing about the angels losing their wings every time MS is booted on a Mac (but I agree, it is a very odious proccess)......I'm lucky to live in an all-Mac household, but have a work-issued PC laptop to do my BB business on (and that's about all it's good for).
    08-19-09 12:06 PM
    Ha!!! Who are you, R0k? Fell on the floor laughing about the angels losing their wings every time MS is booted on a Mac (but I agree, it is a very odious proccess)......I'm lucky to live in an all-Mac household, but have a work-issued PC laptop to do my BB business on (and that's about all it's good for).
    I have no affiliation with Apple but we are an all Mac household with the exception of my work pc which I use for maintaining my 8830 until RIM finally lets us have DM for OS X. My daughter has a windows laptop required for her high school but I keep it in its own little leper colony and it's not allowed inside our firewall.

I have found that rocketdock helps ease the pain of using windows on the work pc. Windows, when administered by clueless corporate IT, has a tendancy to slow to an absolute crawl with more than 2 or 3 things in the task bar. Letting them minimize to rocketdock instead makes them easier to find for those of us used to OS X and it seems to make things run a little more smoothly. I also moved my taskbar to the top of my screen to make it look even more convincing. I've stopped short of using any OS X wallpapers but I still get questions every day from curious coworkers.
    08-19-09 12:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD