Hello, I am having this issue with my Blackberry pearl trackball button. I have the 8100c (I believe that's what I have anyway). Whenever I scroll the trackball it moves up and down just fine but when I press the button in, it acts as if I'm pressing the exclamation(!) button down(Q,W) and it searches for contacts that start with Q and W. I pretty much cannot get into any application because of this.

Any ideas?
    03-14-08 07:00 PM
    First try a battery pull. With your BB on, remove the battery for 30 seconds, then put it back in.
    03-14-08 07:03 PM
    First try a battery pull. With your BB on, remove the battery for 30 seconds, then put it back in.
    Thanks for the quick response!

Though I did try that, it didn't work.
    03-14-08 07:09 PM
    The only two remaining options you can try are to reload the OS, or ask your carrier to replace it.
    03-14-08 07:14 PM
    Did you get the device wet or expose it to moisture? You might search around for dissassembly instructions here (it's not that hard) and blow some compressed air under it. The ? is a long way from the trackball... might not be good but let's see!
    03-14-08 07:15 PM
    Did you get the device wet or expose it to moisture? You might search around for dissassembly instructions here (it's not that hard) and blow some compressed air under it. The ? is a long way from the trackball... might not be good but let's see!
    actually I think I may have gotten it wet, I was in the shower and grabbed it quick to check a message. I didn't bring it in the shower just grabbed it from the counter, I suppose these must be pretty vulnerable to moisture. I'll look for disassembling instructions.

The only two remaining options you can try are to reload the OS, or ask your carrier to replace it.
    I actually don't have a data plan on my BB surprisingly, I find it way overpriced and the phone was a hand-me-down :P. I also don't have the warranty on the phone any longer.
    03-14-08 07:20 PM
    I actually don't have a data plan on my BB surprisingly, I find it way overpriced and the phone was a hand-me-down :P. I also don't have the warranty on the phone any longer.
    Reloading the OS has nothing to do with needing a data plan. All RIM devices have a 1 year warranty.

However the warranty won't cover getting it wet.
    03-14-08 07:22 PM
    Reloading the OS has nothing to do with needing a data plan. All RIM devices have a 1 year warranty.

However the warranty won't cover getting it wet.
    I assumed you would need the data plan to download the OS and install it. I will lookup how to reload it online. Thanks.
    03-14-08 07:29 PM
    You have to download both Desktop Manager, and the OS, then install both to your computer. Then you would need to wipe your BB. You can do a back up first though.

But since you said you think you may have gotten it wet, reloading the OS won't help. Try Thatzmister2u's advice.
    03-14-08 08:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD