I have been reviewing crackberry for some time now and did my research here before I bought a 8820.
    things ive learned:
    - 8820 has wifi so you can connect to wireless internet without a data plan.

- 88xx has GPS, and a "google map feature".

my questions/problems.

- I cant log onto any wireless internet, evenwith vps disabled. Were should I go to log on? Browser or opera mini?I am running an 802.11 internet or something.
    - Where is GPS on my phone? Is it telenav? does it cost money or what? Where is the "google maps"

- do i need a o.s upgrade?

info-
    Blackberry 8820 on at&t with the 4.2.2.169
    03-16-08 05:03 PM
    Sounds like you have a lot of things confused here.

8800 = No GPS or wifi
    8820 = Wifi, no GPS
    8830 = GPS, no wifi

The 8820 does NOT have GPS. Google Maps does have a "My Location" feature which will estimate your position based on the cell tower you are using.

With those things said, I'll answer the rest of your questions/problems.

Google Maps, and Opera Mini will not work over a wifi connection. You will need a data plan to use those applications.

To answer your wifi connection issue, I need to know what brand and model of router you are using.
    03-16-08 05:16 PM
    The 8820 DOES have GPS.

Get a data plan, you'll be better off. You can't use GPS without it anyways.
    03-16-08 05:24 PM
    I stand corrected then.
    03-16-08 05:27 PM
    linksys wireless g 2.4 ghz

-it says its connected?
    -what should I use to connect to internet? The browser feature?
    -my browser is also set up as "wifi"

so If I need directions while im driving what should I do?It doesnt have to be a GPS turn by turn, but a Mapquest style would work, any possibilites

Thanks everyone
    03-16-08 05:43 PM
    i am about to purchase the 8820 from tmobile when it comes out this month. how does GPS work? it sends/receive info via the internet correct? as far as updates go?

does anything associated with it cost money? it works with BB and google maps to give you turn by turn directions?
    03-17-08 12:36 AM
    The GPS softwares use data to load the map and a real GPS unit (like you'd find in a SatNav) to get your location.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-17-08 02:50 AM
    linksys wireless g 2.4 ghz

-it says its connected?
    -what should I use to connect to internet? The browser feature?
    -my browser is also set up as "wifi"
    To browse Wi-Fi, you just use any of the browsers (Media Net, BB Browser, Wi-Fi Browser). Of course, you have to have access to a Wi-Fi hotspot, like your own router at home if you don't have the Wi-Fi "plan".

so If I need directions while im driving what should I do?It doesnt have to be a GPS turn by turn, but a Mapquest style would work, any possibilites
    If you have Internet access via Wi-Fi only, then I would recommend Infospace Find It! (Google is your friend)

That free program will be able to give you directions 3 different ways, including faux turn-by-turn voice directions offline. Basically, you press a button at each turn and it gives you the next direction. It also shows you a map. In any case, an excellent addition to any Berry.

i am about to purchase the 8820 from tmobile when it comes out this month. how does GPS work? it sends/receive info via the internet correct? as far as updates go?
    The (internal) 8820 GPS itself only sends data to/from the GPS satilites in orbit. So, when you use certain programs like Blackberry Tracker, you are not using data (unless you choose to send the track data somewhere).

does anything associated with it cost money? it works with BB and google maps to give you turn by turn directions?
    The GPS unit itself does not cost you anything extra, however, if you want a GPS service, such as Garmin, or TeleNav, then you will have to pay for it.

Garmin and TeleNav work with their own 3D & 2D maps, and do require a data plan to use as they download these maps and other data.

You can use BB Maps, and Google Maps as a "poor man's" GPS, but it will not give you turn-by-turn directions, nor route planning with destination lookups, etc. In other words, it will only follow/track you and allow you to see where you are on a 2D map, or in the case of Google Maps on a satilite map as well.

Patrick
    03-17-08 06:05 AM
    ok guys I think I figured it out.

I see my wifi listed on my main screen, and it says connected. But when I go to the Browser nothing happens.
    Then I go into my "mobile network" turn data on-then everything works.
    My question is, with my Browser set as wifi but my data on, am I getting charged???
    03-22-08 06:31 PM
    hi the curse, just call att and tell them to disable data services on ur a/c, and I dont think ur getting charged. I have same thing as u have and I checked my online a/c it says no data activity.
    03-23-08 11:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD