For the second time since I have owned my BlackBerry 8830, I have been in a situation where I needed to call the police for my own safety. Today, it just so happened that I awoke to my house alarm going off, so I locked my bedroom door, grabbed my .40 cal. and dialed 911 on my BlackBerry 8830.

I was on the line with the dispatched, awaiting the arrival of the police. It was important for me to stay on the line so I could be notified as soon as the police arrived, so that I could secure my firearm. The last thing I wanted was for the police to come barging in and get shot because I thought they were the intruder!

Much to my dismay, my BlackBerry 8830 rebooted itself while I was on the line with the dispatcher. This seems to happen any time I dial 911 and stay on the line for more than 5 minutes.

I'm about five seconds from throwing this 8830 in the trash. But before I do, I thought I'd ask on here if anyone has ever encountered or heard of this issue, and knows of a fix?

Thank you for your time.
    07-21-10 01:42 PM
    I remember there being issues like this occurring on other devices, and those issues were invoked due to a bug involving the GPS and how it was activated during an emergency call.

Nonetheless, if you don't get any feed back from here, it might be worth a call to your carrier or RIM as this is rather dangerous. I would drop BlackBerry, or have a backup phone just to call 911 as I have to call 911 about 3 times a month (work reasons) and just wouldn't trust my safety to a device that performs this way, especially if I was in your situation.

Keep us posted.
    07-28-10 11:36 PM
    Uh....yup. Enough with the troll posts.
    05-13-13 03:56 PM
    2nd 911 reboot thread today. 1st time okay but.. 2nd thread? I'm a little skeptical.. this has never come up before on CB. Also, how many over 5 minute long 911 calls do you make to gather this "experience" of 911 calling and rebooting. No one calls 911, especially not for over 5 minutes, and several times at that. Just saying. 2 threads in a day is just extremely suspicious.

Posted via CB10
    05-13-13 10:29 PM
    This seems to happen any time I dial 911 and stay on the line for more than 5 minutes.

Thank you for your time.
    How freakin often do you call 911? And why are you using a cell phone in your own home?
    I've got the perfect fix for you...
    #1 Upgrade your 6 year old discontinued phone
    #2 Try trolling the iforums/wpforums/androidforums...I'm sure they're dumb enough to believe your ****.
    Lendo likes this.
    05-13-13 10:38 PM
    2nd 911 reboot thread today. 1st time okay but.. 2nd thread? I'm a little skeptical.. this has never come up before on CB. Also, how many over 5 minute long 911 calls do you make to gather this "experience" of 911 calling and rebooting. No one calls 911, especially not for over 5 minutes, and several times at that. Just saying. 2 threads in a day is just extremely suspicious.

Posted via CB10
    Uhm... the original post for this thread was nearly three years ago and involved an 8800 series phone, not a Z10.

I've got to say, the expedience with which many users here are willing to cry troll when someone discusses a problem is really amazing. This *used* to be a great place to discuss and occasionally resolve issues... now it's more like a grade-school playground.
    05-14-13 10:10 AM
    Uhm... the original post for this thread was nearly three years ago and involved an 8800 series phone, not a Z10.

I've got to say, the expedience with which many users here are willing to cry troll when someone discusses a problem is really amazing. This *used* to be a great place to discuss and occasionally resolve issues... now it's more like a grade-school playground.
    Well what can I say.. someone brought the thread back to life and not everyone automatically checks the post date. When I check unread posts via cb10 app I assume most threads are current. You need to chill. Ciao.

Posted via CB10
    05-14-13 12:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD