Excellent solution. I believe receiving a call (involuntarily) while dialing out still freezes up the phone though.

If you just don't answer and stop dialing, does the phone still freeze up?
    Maybe the phone only freezes when you hit the green or red button when more than one call is happening !
    07-17-07 09:54 AM
    The freezing is a known issue with verizon. I took my phone in and they replaced it no questions asked and I cannot recreate the problem now. It was somthing to do with certain phones and not all.
    07-17-07 10:27 AM
    My phone could receive calls but I could not make any calls or utilize the browser. It would tell me that I have a phone call in progress. I could still send text, though.
    I had to take out my battery but I didn't have to reset for it to start working properly.
    Very disappointing since this is a new phone...I'm undecided on returning the phone or not.
    I thank this forum to assist me in determining what to do.
    08-23-07 10:52 PM
    Check out this post.
    The way to cure this is to update the software on the phone. I did and it solved all these problems...
    Last edited by anon(153966); 08-24-07 at 05:05 AM. Reason: ...corrected link.
    08-24-07 01:29 AM
    Just out of interest is anyone using Lotus Notes and having this issue?
    10-05-07 10:45 AM
    Although the problem hardly exists since I got my 8830, when I did have it 2-3 times, instead of doing a batter pull, I found that you could "Turn All Connections Off" from Manage Connections, and then turn it back on. After it finds the service, you should be able to make outgoing calls again.
    10-08-07 05:19 PM
    This sure helps.
    10-09-07 04:08 PM
    thanks guitarbrain. this use to **** me offfff
    10-14-07 08:47 PM
    If im on a call, and another call comes in and i accept it, the phone will freeze up. If i exit back out to the main screen, and try to dial, it says i cant because there is a call in progress...
    11-26-07 02:43 PM
    Interesting others are having the same problem - my 8830 freezes inexplicably. Cellular South replaces it 3 times (!) hassle free, so it's something in the 8830 itself. Mine does not do it with calls, it does it when it is trying to load pages from the internet, and also just when I have been on the net for a long time, after carefully backing out of the net (as suggested instead of using "close") it will not let a call go through or in. And I am STILL hooked on Blackberry, lol!
    12-21-07 10:48 AM
    I've had similar trouble with my phone "locking up". I'm a fairly heavy user and it seems toward latter part of any given day, my phone will occassionally just "freak out" and lock up. At times, and the most common error, when placing a call my phone just says "calling..." though nothing happens. I can end the call though the only thing that works to finally get it to place calls is to take the battery out, wait a few seconds and reboot the phone. Afterwards, it works great. I have also noticed the phone has been slowing down overall. Tasks are taking longer to perform. Anyway to increase the "RAM" or processing ability?
    02-22-08 10:26 PM
    Talk about disappointment, my 8830 also inexplicably freezes up when making a call every so often. I dial the number, and nothing. I hang up, try again, then nothing. Eventually, I have to pull the battery in order to get the phone working again. If I try to turn it off instead, it just freezes up on a blue screen that says "Bell Mobility". At that point, removing the battery is the only thing that works. I paid big bucks for this unit, I'm so disappointed. That's 3 times in 8 days! My Treo was bulletproof!
    02-24-08 08:16 PM
    My wife has ran into the freezing problem with her Blackberry. It doesn't seem to be when she is making calls or receiving calls but will make sure but this is very annoying. We just purchased the BB about two weeks ago and already have had to take the battery out about 4 times. We have no additional programs on it so I don't think it is a memory issue. I will check that tonight. Anyone find any other info out please let me know of a solution!! I am going to hook it up to the computer and see if there is any updates out there.
    07-15-08 02:58 PM
    Sounds like a low memory problem. Time to free up some.
    =8')

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-15-08 03:13 PM
    So I am going through something pretty similar...

I have only been a BB user for about a month...and i am already on my second curve 8330.

So whats happening to me is that the keys are freezing along with the track ball at just random times. Sometimes the screen will come on and the trackball will work...or vice versa keys work but no trackball. while this is all going on I can still receive e-mails and messages but of course with no way to check them. I have only had this second one for maayyyybe 2 weeks and haven't dropped it or anything. I have pulled the battery and still nothing.

anyone have any ideas for me ? Other than going to the store to get a new replacement...i work close to 70-75 hours a week and its pretty hard to drop into the sprint store.
    09-14-08 11:34 PM
    I am also a new user with a 8830 on Verzion and I am experiencing a general lock up of my unit all the time. The trackball is very delays sometimes to respond and just entering a number to dial can be painful. It's very jerky and takes 10 or more seconds to register any movements and key input. Verizon is shipping me a new unit as of tonight. I do have the Google Apps installed but that is it. I hope this forum isn't a sign that these units are going to be trouble. I am also setup to use Lotus Notes mail on our BES server.
    10-19-08 08:31 PM
    My 8330 periodically locks up. The keyboard freezes up but the tracking ball seems to work in a limited fashion. I had my first 8330 replace via Asurion for the same issue. Pulling the battery, waiting, then reinserting, returns my Curve to the same locked keyboard state. Charging the battery also does not fix the problem. I tried downloading/installing an IM application which freed the keyboard up but this is incrediably inconvenient. I am currently running 4.5 of the OS and 4.6 on the desktop manager. Is anyone else having this issue?

So I am going through something pretty similar...

I have only been a BB user for about a month...and i am already on my second curve 8330.

So whats happening to me is that the keys are freezing along with the track ball at just random times. Sometimes the screen will come on and the trackball will work...or vice versa keys work but no trackball. while this is all going on I can still receive e-mails and messages but of course with no way to check them. I have only had this second one for maayyyybe 2 weeks and haven't dropped it or anything. I have pulled the battery and still nothing.

anyone have any ideas for me ? Other than going to the store to get a new replacement...i work close to 70-75 hours a week and its pretty hard to drop into the sprint store.
    11-02-08 08:20 PM
    I'm getting the "freezeing" issue several time during the day...I'm constantly missing calls...having to literally pull the battery out to get this "smart phone" to work. What gives? I've removed most of the 3rd Party applications w/the same results. (I'm using the 1st Generation Storm)
    12-31-09 12:21 AM
    i cant seem to get message to compose any help
    03-22-10 08:47 PM
    I replaced a Torch for a similar issue. The replacement does the same thing. Here's what happens: The phone will be sitting in the holster and I'll receive a call. I try to answer the call but all of the physical buttons (keyboard, mouse, blackberry key, etc.) are frozen. The touch screen, however, is functioning. A battery pull fixes it for a while. I didnt load any apps on the 2nd Torch just to be sure that wasnt the issue. I believe it might have something to do with my Bluetooth headset (Im just grabbing at straws at this point). My next move will be to do a wipe and not use the bluetooth. Im close to going back to my Bold.
    08-25-10 09:10 PM
    My brother in-law has a 8830 (Verizon) and we spent the afternoon trying to figure out why he only had 6MB or memory left! And, nothing has been installed since he got the darn thing...

Anyway, I got so pissed, I eventually pulled the battery out. As soon as I did, 20MB appeared, out of nowhere! I can't STAND VERIZON!?!
    This is not an issue with Verizon. All smartphones lose memory through use. Please understand that you are using a small computer. This is a standard procedure that your phone will use memory. I thought it was odd too that it happened to me. If you want to keep your memory up, install an app called Quick Pull Free. You can find it in BlackBerry Appworld. Set a schedule through the application to have it reset the phone at a time that the user will be asleep. This will solve the lost memory problems and you can even reset the phone when you notice it getting a little sluggish throughout the day. It's a great/essential app.
    12-21-10 06:21 PM
    I have a BB Bold 9000 on ATT. I started having the 'Freezing' problem about 3months ago and it has gotten progressively worse. I have deleted apps, remove photos, music, anything I can to clear out space to the point that there is little on my phone other than what came on it plus my contacts. I have considered the possibility that my OS has become corrupt and I am going to have to do is wipe the phone and reload a fresh copy of the OS and rebuild my phone. Oh Joy.

Due for an upgrade anyway, I went to the ATT store to check out the latest offerings and I see the Torch at $50. Didn't it start out at $200 not to long ago? ATT said they are having customers constantly returning them because of problems with them 'FREEZING UP'. That�s right, the NEW blackberries that RIM is peddling have the same problem freezing just like what you are experiencing now.

You came to this thread because you were looking for a solution to correct the problem (beyond pulling the battery and waiting 5 minutes for the phone to reboot). The problem is apparently bigger than that. There seems to be something wrong with all of RIMs OS's and they are probably sticking their head in the sand like they did with the original STORM. (I actually had one and it was a bona fide POS)

I am tired of having to reboot my phone just to make it work. That got old along time ago and I honestly don�t know why I, or anybody should have to accept that as a standard operating procedure. I use to love this phone and when it was operating properly, I would take it over my wife�s iPhone 4 any day. But the problems I am having and the fact that the same problem extends over to the new phones and OS, why should I consider another BB at this time?

RIM needs to get their act together or they are going to get left in the dust by the Android market. Nice while it lasted but I am moving on.

A soon to be recovered crackberry adict.
    04-13-11 11:58 AM

RIM needs to get their act together or they are going to get left in the dust by the Android market. Nice while it lasted but I am moving on.

A soon to be recovered crackberry adict.
    Preach it brother! I get so tired of people making excuses for RIM. I'm sorry people, it is not normal to have to pull the battery out so much that padding between the phone and the back lid is worn away; it is not normal that receiving a phone call or text means having to wait five minutes to reboot the phone; and, it is not unreasonable to expect that the phone actually be able to run the applications that come on it.

I love my Blackberry in terms of what it potentially and supposedly can do; I hate it in that potential never seems to transfer to performance. As soon as my contract is up, I'm gone.
    05-16-11 06:18 AM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD