05-16-11 06:18 AM
48 12
tools
    Not totally sure of the exact nature of the problem, but it appears that when you are making an outgoing call and receive an incoming call, the phone freezes up. Taking the battery out is the only way to get it going again. Anyone else experience this?
    06-09-07 04:57 AM
    That's scary! Not noticed this, and thus far you're the only one I've heard complain about this...

But, let me ask this, are you already talking on the outgoing call, when the incoming call comes in? Or, is it BOTH happening at the same time? If yes to the same time, I could probably understand that happening, the device might get confused with which to process first...

As a test, call your house phone from your BlackBerry, and actually have an option line (talk to someone), then borrow a friends mobile to call your BlackBerry, and tell use what happen. For example, do you see the call waiting option, can you answer it, does it allow you to switch between calls, etc Also, when you end the call(s), what happens?
    06-09-07 07:08 AM
    Will try and isolate the problem exactly later today. My wife is using the phone. This problem has also been reported by another user on a different forum.Unable to make a voice call from the BlackBerry 8830 smartphone after ending a voice call

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Doc ID : KB13118
    Last Modified : 2007-05-14
    Document Type : Support

Print this page
    How to perform a hard reset on a BlackBerry device

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Doc ID : KB02141
    Last Modified : 2007-05-25
    Document Type : How To

Print this page

Environment
    BlackBerry® device

Procedure
    To perform a hard reset on a Research In Motion® (RIM®) 850 device, RIM 857 device, RIM 950 device, or RIM 957 device, insert the end of a paperclip inside the small hole on the back of the handheld.

To perform a hard reset on all other BlackBerry devices

Remove the battery cover.
    Remove and reinsert the battery to reset the BlackBerry device.
    Replace the battery cover.

Additional Info
    See KB02794

Environment
    BlackBerry® 8830 smartphone
    SDR129085
    SDR129083
    SDR127419

Problem
    If the BlackBerry 8830 smartphone user makes a voice call from the BlackBerry smartphone, but receives an incoming voice call at the same time, it may prevent the BlackBerry 8830 smartphone from making another voice call.

This is a previously reported issue that has been escalated internally to our development team. No resolution time frame is currently available.

Workaround
    Perform a hard reset. For insructions, see KB02141.
    Last edited by jimbo1mcm; 06-09-07 at 10:43 AM.
    06-09-07 10:25 AM
    I just had this occur today on my 8830. I was in the process of calling someone when I received a call. The result was that the phone initially locked up, then after an initial soft reboot, it said that it could not make any calls since there was already a call in progress. I ended up pulling the battery and performing a hard reboot, which appears to have solved the problem.
    06-11-07 01:00 AM
    This just happened to me as well. I tried to switch to a call waiting, but in the process lost both calls and then was unable to make a new call because it still thought I had a call in progress! Was I being billed for that time? I too had to take out the battery.

It seems there will always be certain bugs in new phones... but is this a dealbreaker? Should I consider switching from the 8830, or is it an issue that can be resolved with some sort of software update by either Verizon or Blackberry?
    06-11-07 07:45 PM
    This just happened to me on my 8830 on Verizon.
    06-11-07 08:46 PM
    I guess I am glad that it is happening to other people, but who knows the cause... Since that call though, I have been able to switch on call waiting twice, but fear that it could happen again. Has anyone else been able to do so since the initial incident?

Now, I am having another problem that is even more disturbing: I need to place a call multiple times to get it to go through. This only occurs when calling certain people though. I have listed this on a separate thread though, under the title "calls not going through." Does anyone get this either?
    MERCDROID likes this.
    06-11-07 09:16 PM
    Is there another way to reboot the phone other than removing the battery? And how long do you take out the battery before sliding it back into position. This is ridiculous.
    Last edited by anon(153966); 06-13-07 at 01:10 AM. Reason: ...wording!
    06-12-07 08:06 PM
    I believe ALT & SHIFT & ENTER does the same thing...
    06-13-07 01:10 AM
    I was talking with a Verizon SME this afternoon and mentioned this problem. He had not heard of it, but asked if the folks experiencing this freeze had a lot of third party applications loaded on the 8830. He said that the 8830 only had 32MB of RAM and if you load too many other programs into the device, of if those programs are resource hogs, it will cause problems like this.

I hope it is this simple. I haven't really seen this on my 8830.
    06-13-07 01:47 PM
    My brother in-law has a 8830 (Verizon) and we spent the afternoon trying to figure out why he only had 6MB or memory left! And, nothing has been installed since he got the darn thing...

Anyway, I got so pissed, I eventually pulled the battery out. As soon as I did, 20MB appeared, out of nowhere! I can't STAND VERIZON!?!
    06-13-07 02:05 PM
    I have had this problem with my blackberry thinking its still on a call and the only fix I have found is to take out the battery. Has anyone found a better way?
    06-26-07 02:49 PM
    About the “call in progess” freeze thing…I discovered this occurs when switching between two calls by using the green/talk button. The Verizon CS reps were no help and simply suggested we take the phone back since it appeared defective. I switched phones once and when it happened on the second phone, I suspected there was something wrong about the way I was switching lines. I went back to reading the manual.

To switch between calls, press the menu key or the track ball and select the “Answer - hold current” or the “flash” option. Using this method will switch between calls and prevent the lock up. Do not use the green talk button to switch between lines.

Hope this helps.
    07-06-07 10:02 AM
    Guitarbrian, great info. Thanks for sharing...
    07-06-07 10:09 AM
    I believe ALT & SHIFT & ENTER does the same thing...
    It's Alt-Right Shift-Delete.
    07-06-07 10:18 AM
    FYI: This is what the manual says although it is not quite clear how you get to the options they describe. Well...you press the menu or track ball to get the options…

Answer a call
    • To answer a call, click Answer.
    • To end a current call and answer the incoming call, click Answer - Drop Current.
    • To place a current call on hold and answer the incoming call, click Answer - Hold Current.
    • To leave a conference call and answer the incoming call, click Answer - Drop All.
    To end the call, press the End key.

So...do not use the green talk key to switch between calls. This caused the lock up for me.
    07-06-07 01:20 PM
    I have a client that is experiencing the same issue on a Verizon 8830. He experiences the issue even when switching using the the scrollball and the menu. Any other suggestion appreciated....
    07-06-07 04:48 PM
    I had the same problem with verizon 8830 when I received a call while talking to someone else. Talk about crazy problem, green button doesn't work, speed dial doesn't work, can receive calls, "call in progress" given as reason for thefailure and no options to do anything. Online help and the on device help are useless. Thank God for you guys at crackberry. The hard reset worked (why don't they tell you how to do this when you get the phone?)
    07-10-07 02:12 PM
    Hi Guitarbrain,

I was really happy to read your solution to the phone freezing issue. But, I am still having a problem. First of all, the only options I see when I press the menu key or the center button are ignore or answer - current on hold. I dont see the answer drop current or the drop all options. The second issue is that if I end one call, it does not let me go back to the previous call. Once I press end call both calls are ended. Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated!

On another note, I was wondering if you have discovered a way to silence the chirp sounds the phone makes when dialing a speed dial, and the key tones when making a call.

Thanks a million!
    07-12-07 05:16 PM
    Hey guys, trying to figure out the dang 8300 problem, so I joined this site. Hopefully we can get something figured out.

So...as with everyone else out there, I am having the same problem with the 8300 freezing up when I try to put a call on hold to answer another one. I have tried to fix it myself (ie. Calling from my house phone and calling from another cell phone in order to recreate the problem), and still, it does the same thing. Drops both calls and locks up the phone. Has anyone found a solution yet?
    07-14-07 01:46 PM
    Doronsgirl, did you read this post?
    07-14-07 02:07 PM
    Yes...I did read it, however... Is there another way other than a soft reboot to fix the problem. That was my question.
    07-15-07 09:15 AM
    Dornonsgirl,

Unfortunately when I had that problem RIM told me just to do a soft reset and if that didn't work a hard reset. They didn't have any other suggestions.
    So sorry that you are still having an issue with your device.

Thankfully, mine is working fine since I wiped the device and started from scratch.

Gia
    07-15-07 09:36 AM
    I have verizon, as do 2 of my friends. We all have the 8830 and all experience full lock up when making a call at the same moment someone else is calling in. So frustrating, as it takes 3 minutes to reboot the device.

I have no idea how to resolve this issue...

07-15-07 12:27 PM
    Also, when my brother calls me from his Verizon cell phone from a poor call area (Verizon network is blocked on the Stanford Campus), and the call gets dropped, I am left unable to make or answer any calls. He tries to call back, I hit accept, and I cannot hear him. From this point on, I am unable to make calls and/or receive calls. My belief is that the phone from that point on always believes it is in a call even though all visual indicators show otherwise, and there is no data transfer and battery drain, as you instead are given the “conference call people in” option. The conference call option, however, does not work, when attempted. You must hard reset by leaving the battery out for a while. Has RIM and Verizon been made aware of this problem? Is there new firmware out that fixes this problem? I will update the Firmware tonight with Blackberry Desktop and return back. Be careful only to use Verizon’s version of the firmware. I hope I don’t end up with more problems after this update.
    07-17-07 09:29 AM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD