I'm upgrading to a new phone and am considering the Pearl vs 8830 and Verizon is due to release the Pearl in a few days. What do you guys think of it compared to the 8830? I'm more biased toward the 8830 due to the GSM support overseas; but the Pearl has camera and is slimmer.
    10-25-07 11:34 AM
    i was debating between the two, and i ended up getting the 8830 a few days ago, figuring i could take it back within my 30 trial and ge the pearl if i wanted to, after a few days i ahve decided I am going to do that. The deciding factors were the shape, the 8830 is too square for my tastes, and the 3.5mm headphone jack in the pearl, it is so easy to load music onto bb's, will be nice to use the pearl as music player without having to deal with an adapter.....and a final word, the ring volume on the 880 sucks, i can barely hear it when it is sitting next to me on my desk, let alone in my pocket.....i hope the pearl doesnt have same problem
    10-25-07 11:45 AM
    I did the same thing, have the 8830 right now and am contemplating the pearl when it comes out... I wonder what the pricing is for the pearl if it'll be an even trade when I use the 30-day worry free trade in. But I'll definitely go back and play with the Pearl when it comes out.
    10-25-07 11:51 AM
    I am thinking of getting the pearl for my wife.

I am curious about the different keyboards.
    How do they compare for typing? How does the keyboard on the pearl work with fewer keys?
    10-25-07 11:54 AM
    Haven't tried it yet but the pearl uses "suretype." A program similar to t9word, but smarter, from what I hear...
    10-25-07 01:25 PM
    I have the 8830 and love it. My buddy has the pearl and it just doesn't appeal to me. As far as the ringer, I don't have a problem hearing mine. I don't mind not having a camera because if i really want to take good pictures i use a digital and not a camera phone. plus it's so easy to put pictures on your phone, i don't miss not having one.
    Good luck in whatever you decide! keep us posted.
    10-25-07 01:28 PM
    I'm upgrading to a new phone and am considering the Pearl vs 8830 and Verizon is due to release the Pearl in a few days. What do you guys think of it compared to the 8830? I'm more biased toward the 8830 due to the GSM support overseas; but the Pearl has camera and is slimmer.
    I've only had the Pearl, so I don't have a basis for comparison, but I will say that I absolutely LOVE my Pearl. The suretype thing works for me, because the system learns my words so well, I love the camera, and I've been able to load music AND exercise videos onto mine. I was not fond of the headset that came with it, so I bought one I like better. I did have a problem with not being able to hear the ring, even with it being on loud, but I bought another back with an opening for the speaker, and problem solved.

I've even DROPPED the thing twice, and it's still kickin'. I was jealous when the CURVE came out, but I love my Pearl. Get one.
    10-25-07 01:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD