Hi all, I know it has been talk about a lot on these boards about how Verizon has yet to release v 4.5 Blackberry OS for the World Phone. Unfortunately, I have not seen any explanation. I have talked to my VZW corporate sales rep and even a level three Blackberry tech from VZW and no one could answer the question. Seems like the engineering geniouses at VZW do not communicate to the very people who are interacting with the very people who are using the product.

Surely someone has factual knowledge, not just guesses, as to why VZW has not released the newest OS for the WE phone.

Thx

AKM
    01-17-09 02:42 PM
    They want you to upgrade to a newer phone, sign a new two year agreement, and so on..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-17-09 02:58 PM
    The 8830 is near the end of its life in the lineup. Hopefully Verizon is putting their OS work into getting it right the first time when they launch the replacement. Their recent experience with new phones (Bold, Storm) hasn't been too good.
    01-17-09 03:53 PM
    JeffH, that's fine they want to get it right, as long as they don't shun their legacy phones. If the 8830 is at the end of its life, I would hope they wouldn't just ignore the model. After all, there are older models in their lineup where they have provided the new OS upgrade. So why would they would delay upgrading the 8830 in not consistent.

Besides, VZW is always the slowest in rolling out new devices and OS upgrade due to supposedly want to make extra sure everything works seamlessly with their network. So it seems strange that a firm that spends so much time and effort, have had the missteps witnessed with the Storm.

AKM
    01-17-09 04:17 PM
    From what I have been told by vzw.... They are not going to have a 4.5 for the 8830n but they WILL have a 4.7 coming out... I don't know when though

01-17-09 07:07 PM
    Really?? This seems quite odd since I don't even think RIM has a 4.7 available for the 8830WE. Wonder what the point of it would be? These phones don't have the memory for much more. This would be quite interesting.

I have a feeling VZW will just drop support for the 8830 all together and recommend an upgrade. I still like my 8830 with the rouge 4.5.0.101 OS - but, I can't wait until the CDMA BOLD/Niagara hits the streets. Or even the Curve 8900!

We shall see...
    01-18-09 08:40 AM
    some of us cant just suck it up and buy a new bb, some of us work where we cant have camera phones, and the cameraless 8830 just fits, and besidestheres nothing wrong with it. i have .101 on my 8830 and it works fine. Plus its a hybrid gsm bb that i need during my trips.
    01-18-09 10:55 AM
    I love the Blackberry 8830WE and I'm a student! It can't be at the end of its life! What about corporate users? Its a shame that they are promoting newer bbs when this one is pretty flawless to me! I mean the official OS would be nice but I use the Beta 4.5 and it works just fine
    01-18-09 01:26 PM
    There are plenty of beta OS's out there do a search for OS 4.5.0.77 for the 8830 WE. It's out there, and works great. I have it on my now retired 8830 WE in RED.

I don't think they are going to release it on VZW, and thus far no other carrier has released it either for this older device.
    01-20-09 12:12 AM
    Aside from the HTML upgrade for emails, I really don't have any reason to upgrade to 4.5. If there an app that can deliver some of the improvements 4.5 offers such as the enhanced email format?
    01-20-09 02:02 PM
    The newer builds are also faster, and 4.5 improves the web browser as well.

There are commercial apps to give you HTML email and attachment support but I am not aware of anything free.
    01-20-09 03:36 PM
    VZWRocka, what reliable commercial apps do know that achieves the HTML email format without upgrading to 4.5?
    01-21-09 09:27 PM
    VZWRocka, what reliable commercial apps do know that achieves the HTML email format without upgrading to 4.5?
    i've used Empower for a while now, it works great.
    01-21-09 10:37 PM
    BB Smart is another one

BBSmart Email Viewer : BlackBerry 8830 World Edition : Handango

I did a trial on that one but didn't want to pay for it so I just upgraded to 4.5. Not sure why you are so reluctant to do that. You do know you can go back if you don't like it right?

Anyway best of luck.
    01-23-09 03:24 AM
    VZWrocka, I run a Mac environment and use PocketMac for my sync tool. Currently there is no software that will allow me to upgrade my BB to 4.5 on a Mac. Seems like all are hung up on Windows.

If i can find a seemly way to update my BB to 4.5 without having to look high and low for a PC, my work PC is Admin protected from unauthorized software, I may do the upgrade.
    01-23-09 08:48 PM
    Makes sense to me, I guess I'm not used to having that issue or even talling to people with that issue. PC's are so prevalent and even those who are 100% Mac often have Bootcamp to load XP for the software they can't get on Mac.

Anyway, best of luck in your search.
    01-24-09 01:37 AM
    I love the Blackberry 8830WE and I'm a student! It can't be at the end of its life! What about corporate users? Its a shame that they are promoting newer bbs when this one is pretty flawless to me! I mean the official OS would be nice but I use the Beta 4.5 and it works just fine
    can you pm me witht the link to where you downloaded the beta os 4.5 for your 8830? thanks!
    01-31-09 01:00 PM
    Will someone please pm me the link to the beta v 4.5 as well? i've been looking everywhere!!

Thank YOU!!
    01-31-09 07:17 PM
    It's unlikely that any of the links that were out there for this are still up, either deleted by due to lack of use after a period of time or because of a RIM complaint.
    01-31-09 08:21 PM
    It's a nice phone yes, but it is also very old and quite simply when a phone gets to be over two years old like this one is now, you can't expect much in the way of upgrades. Storm, and soon Niagara are World phones to take it's place in the lineup. Realistically the only thing the 8830 has on either of them is the lack of a camera (helpful for corporate users, but considering how it is next to impossible to find a smartphone with no camera anymore, businesses are going to have to swallow their pride and disable it through BIS if they don't want their users using them). But other than that it is just plain old. It does not even support MMS (even with OS 4.5).
    01-31-09 08:26 PM
    Some companies forbid cameras on site, even phones. There will always be a need for a device that omits a camera.

01-31-09 10:55 PM
    Some companies forbid cameras on site, even phones. There will always be a need for a device that omits a camera.

As time passes and fewer and fewer phones (smart and otherwise) come out, companies will be forced to rethink those policies because they are unrealistic, or stay with outdated hardware.
    02-01-09 03:35 AM
    4.5 is out there as a Beta. Google is your friend. I found it last night, second link I tried.
    02-01-09 10:05 AM
    As time passes and fewer and fewer phones (smart and otherwise) come out, companies will be forced to rethink those policies because they are unrealistic, or stay with outdated hardware.
    Its common in high tech manufacturing and research companies, and some government, for that to be the policy. It's not enough to say it is disabled, it must be proven not to be functional.

I bet RIM keeps a model that can be ordered without one. Especially with the convergence to lte. The market would be enough to sustain the model.

02-01-09 11:23 AM
    Ha, adding to what e said, is it not unrealisic for most companies to have a policy regauding camera phones... They don't want their secrets out there for the world, competitors. And even - god forbid - terrorists

02-01-09 12:22 PM
107 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD