I searched and found some scary posts about similar problems, but here are my new button issues:

1. Pressing the trackball suddenly doesn't work, though every other trackball function is fine.

2. The Alt+Back button doesn't bring up the application switcher, though both buttons work fine independently.

3. While Alt does work, you can't hold it down and, for example, hit "R" for "3." You now need to press Alt, let it go, then hit a letter to get the number.

4. The same is true with the caps button: you have to press caps, then let go, then press the letter in question.

So, it doesn't seem like something's totally broken, but something's not totally right, either. Any advice other than get a new one?

Thanks!
    01-09-08 05:41 PM
    Have you tried a battery pull?
    01-09-08 05:44 PM
    Have you tried a battery pull?
    Several...
    01-09-08 06:47 PM
    Alt. + RIGHT Shift + Del.

Dunno..Try Calling CS
    01-09-08 06:51 PM
    Try doing a trackball disassembly/clean, and while the trackball is out, try using an air duster (the kind they use on computer keyboards/screens) under that general area.
    01-10-08 12:54 PM
    I think the combination of symptoms may indicate an OS issue. Try wiping and reloading your OS, since the battery pulls did nothing.
    01-10-08 01:27 PM
    I have the same problem and a software reinstall helped. however my B and X do not work and my trackball has phantom clicks. it contentiously acts as though it is being pressed in all the time.
    03-24-08 01:37 AM
    Mine quit working on my new 8830 after 3 days. Verizon gave me a new one but I bet it won't take long before it doesn't work again.
    03-24-08 06:08 AM
    you've got dirt/dust in there. phantom clicks and non-working keys mean that something is blocking the contacts or is uber-contacting them.

Turn upside down (lay on your back) and flush with canned air.

good luck,

tdg
    03-24-08 10:30 AM
    Swap it out. If you do not carrie this phone in a holster and are experiencing these issues you've gotten dirt or other things in the keyboard/trackball mechanism.
    03-24-08 10:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD