Which one do we download?? What's the difference??
    I don't see much difference at first glance....can anyone else tell me what the differences might be?
    The bottom one is for the 8830m variant which has a hardware id of 0x06000E04.

The standard 8830 has a hardware id 0f 0x04000E04.

It would be nice if the service providers/manufacturer would come clean on these "refreshed" models, which also include the 8330m and 8130m.

Something has changed within the hardware.

There has been some speculation that it's related to the HAC hardware upgrade - https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/prod/oet/f...ive_or_pdf=pdf, the requirements of which are summarized here - http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_publi...C-280525A1.pdf and detailed here - http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_publi...CC-08-68A1.pdf

sR
    Last edited by ScienceRules; 03-15-09 at 07:23 AM.
    03-15-09 06:20 AM
    The instructions in this thread were great. I have DM 4.7, so I used the Loader.exe file from the OS download instead of the DM. The only problem I ran into was with SplashID. The data files for it got corrupted during the upgrade and it took a while to straighten it out. I had backed up the SplashID database on my laptop before starting, so it wasn't too much trouble to delete the app on the BB, reinstall it, and sync a couple of times to get it all straightened out.

I love the improved email app, and the ringtones are MUCH louder now. Excellent!
    03-15-09 11:44 AM
    My new Alltel 8830 should arrive tommorrow. Our IT Department takes delivery of new BB phones, unpackage and adds to BES and then delivers phone. My question is if and when doing a upgrade to 4.5, would it be best to do it as soom as one gets it or use the phone a little first?

This is my first BB.

When it comes to data backup and restore (as part of an upgrade). With a new BB that only has been sync with BES (our exchange server), I am thinking their would be no data to restore and while I plan to do a complete backup, I am thinking I would skip the restore process. Once the new OS is on, it will have to resync with the BES adding all the contacts and other Exchnage data. I would wait to add any third party apps etc until after I have been running smooth on the upgraded OS for a while.

The other question I have is...I read where some do a complete whipe first (JL_Cmdr) and then install new OS. Is that really neccessary?

I do PC IT and whenever I do a OS upgrade I always do a clean install. What is a clean in stall when going from 4.2 to 4.5?

I have spent several hours reading everything I can on upgrades, 8830 tips, etc. Thanks for any help.

JJW
    ND
    03-15-09 02:54 PM
    Will this 4.5 update work for Telus too?
    It should work just fine as long as you delete the vendor.xml file. I'm running it on Verizon.
    03-16-09 05:24 AM
    so how long should this take? I'm stuck on restoring my address book; it's been there almost an hour with no progress. Should I be concerned?
    03-17-09 08:30 AM
    profile: vzw, 8830WE, v4.2.2. before update

i installed the update file per the instructions last night (03/16/09) and it went very smoothly (using DM 4.7)...it took about 30 minutes for the entire process!

this morning, after getting into work, i had to call my support to reset my activation onto the enterprise network...and it only took about 10 minutes for everything to sync up again.

results: no delays, smooth functioning, AWESOME YOUTUBE FUNCTION WORKS, really great browser, really great e-mail views (better than before), faster operation especially during internet browsing, awesome GPS function now works!

but WHY oh WHY does this update have to remove the call timer function??? of all the things it could take away...why this important timer? i will keep this update installed...as it greatly increases the overall functionality of this great phone...but will be waiting to see another update to fix this stupid problem.

i would like to thank the original poster who provided to instructions on this installation.
    03-17-09 09:15 AM
    Thanks to you all. You just saved the landfill one more phone. Upgraded the software no problem, and I even ended up with MMS. MMS was the only reason I was going to change to the Curve.
    I also now have MMS with the v4.5.0.135 upgrade. Below is what I have tested sending MMS pictures

Sprint to Sprint works
    Sprint to AT&T works
    Sprint to Verizon no luck with first test still testing
    (looking for test subjects)

will keep everyone updated
    03-17-09 07:52 PM
    One big issue with the 4.5.0.135 update for me is after the update I was unable to tether my phone to the PC for use as a modem. The computer just wouldn't see the phone as an additional modem. Right now for me it is the only way that I am able to get on the internet.
    I'm running 4.5.0.135 fin tethered to my PC as a modem. The drivers for the phone as a modem are installed on the PC when you run the setup for 4.5.0.135 I would try running the setup again (don't forget to del the vendor file)

Hope this helps
    03-17-09 08:27 PM
    With my experience, I had to wipe out the device first. Then I was able to install the v4.5.0.135.

When I had attempted to install it at first, it still showed the old version .101 and was not picking up .135. Even after I removed the vendor .xml file. I had also installed it on another PC with the new OS.

Again, with my experience I had to wipe the device to original defaults first, then install the new OS.
    03-18-09 07:44 AM
    I am a vzw 8830we user with os 101 before update. I updated to sprint 135, with a little set back. I nucked my blackberry. Once i solved that issue, the blackberry works great. The best thing the slingplayer works.
    03-18-09 08:48 AM
    profile: vzw, 8830WE, v4.2.2. before update

i installed the update file per the instructions last night (03/16/09) and it went very smoothly (using DM 4.7)...it took about 30 minutes for the entire process!

this morning, after getting into work, i had to call my support to reset my activation onto the enterprise network...and it only took about 10 minutes for everything to sync up again.

results: no delays, smooth functioning, AWESOME YOUTUBE FUNCTION WORKS, really great browser, really great e-mail views (better than before), faster operation especially during internet browsing, awesome GPS function now works!

but WHY oh WHY does this update have to remove the call timer function??? of all the things it could take away...why this important timer? i will keep this update installed...as it greatly increases the overall functionality of this great phone...but will be waiting to see another update to fix this stupid problem.

i would like to thank the original poster who provided to instructions on this installation.
    so no one can answer my question about the call timer function? it seems such a stupid little thing to miss during an update...
    03-18-09 01:40 PM
    No probleme' upgrading to the ...135. Good directions posted, work fine. Volume levels on ringers and such are still up at high level also.
    03-20-09 02:07 PM
    I cannot get my 8830 to upgrade to 4.5 for the life of me.

I keep getting some sort of error.

Now it says: "The application Blackberry PGP Email Library" cannot be loaded because it requires the following applications that are not available: net.rim.platform.ecmascript

Any suggestions?

I was able to upgrade from 4.2.2.66 to 4.2.2.196. I tried using DM 4.7, that didn't work, so now I'm using DM 4.6.

I also tried using the two different OS files: 8830uAMEA_PBr4.5.0_rel201_PL3.4.0.28_A4.5.0.135_Sp rint
    8830mAMEA_PBr4.5.0_rel201_PL3.4.0.28_A4.5.0.135
    03-21-09 02:04 PM
    azheman...you are not following the instructions....don't use the DM...just use the instructions on the first page. Install the OS with apploader.exe (not DM). It is in the same folder as the vendor file that must be deleted.
    03-22-09 10:42 AM
    On Verizon's website the latest they offer is v4.2.
    Last edited by itdrew; 03-25-09 at 12:01 PM.
    03-25-09 11:55 AM
    On Verizon's website the latest they offer is v4.2.
    ummm....did you read any of the thread? Of course it works on Verizon (remove the vendor file)...see my sig. I am on Verizon.
    03-25-09 02:03 PM
    i too have been using this update on verizon's miracle network :-P
    03-25-09 02:42 PM
    Upgraded today with instructions from first post using DM 4.7 no problems.

A few new things to get used to but mostly everything I've tested works.

Only think I lost was the standby - holding down the mute button. I didn't come across anyone else posting this problem. Any suggestions on how to get this back. I use it constantly.

Thanks in advance,
    ap
    03-25-09 05:21 PM
    Everything went pretty flawless for me but had it easy as a Sprint customer D/Led right from their site and followed their directions, no problems.

Only issue I've noticed with performance with the new version is my BBM contacts have vanished. 2 have been added back so one folder shows 1 of 3, another shows 1 of 1, another shows 0 of 2, as if somewhere the list is still there.

Since it's so few do I'll just re-add them. Wondering though, what if this happens to someone who has a lot of BBM contacts...

The people who noticed their memory go down a little, I'm wondering, did you go back in and delete the themes it reinstalled? (that's if you had them deleted prior... I have everything 'extra' deleted on mine!) Just a thought...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by bfoster; 03-26-09 at 05:56 AM.
    03-26-09 05:51 AM
    US Cellular now has 4.5.0.138 for the 8830WE as an official release. It is available on RIM's website.
    03-26-09 07:32 AM
    Upgraded today with instructions from first post using DM 4.7 no problems.

A few new things to get used to but mostly everything I've tested works.

Only think I lost was the standby - holding down the mute button. I didn't come across anyone else posting this problem. Any suggestions on how to get this back. I use it constantly.

Thanks in advance,
    ap
    just tested my 8830 on vzw network the mute standby function and it works perfectly

i recommend a battery pull
    03-26-09 07:46 AM
    Few other things I noticed through the day today:
    It changed my message 'delete' option from "prompt" to "handheld" after the upgrade (messages>options>email reconciliation>delete on)
    -------
    Address Book looks different, nicer.
    Wonder if this version still has the syncing glitch with Outlook Express? I'll back up my addys before attempting.
    -------
    Don't know if this is the new OS or the new version of nobexradio but all my fav radio stations disappeared. I did an update of their software yesterday but am pretty sure my stations were still all there because I was listening to the radio, but after the OS upgrade last night - no stations. Luckily I remember most of the FL and NY ones but not the others, so guess I'll just browse
    -------
    Weather Bug Direct actually seems to be working better. Though everything else always worked, the audio alerts never worked and I never knew why (still don't know why). They DO now! Need to go through and reset so they don't go off screeching at 4am because of a FOG advisory. I was awake but it still startled me LOL!
    -------
    So happy for the upgrade, been waiting- had some 3rd party apps wasn't sure would be ok but everything seems to be working fine and some seems to be working better!

03-26-09 05:33 PM
    US Cellular now has 4.5.0.138 for the 8830WE as an official release. It is available on RIM's website.
    Anyone try this yet? Do you think Verizon will ever release 4.5.x?

Don't hold your breath...
    03-26-09 05:53 PM
    Did anyone using "today" theme have their calendar events not appear in the theme? My calendar is fine, but theme does not show calendar events (calls and messages show).

-----

Deleted BBM and will reinstall tomorrow. Too much going on tonight to fool with it.

03-26-09 11:36 PM
    BBM is giving me the message (after every battery pull) that my device is new and throws my contacts in to "pending". The issue started after the OS upgrade and I thought I figured out the problem this morning but obviously that had nothing to do with it since I've gone through this now several times LOL

I see a "Enterprise Configuration" message as the BB is starting up... I am not on a BES.

I am having an issue with the BB switching itself to "automatic" and "global" in: options>mobile network.
    When here in OH the settings need to be "home only" (long story) and "1XEV" so this is driving me crazy!

Can anyone give me some insight?

03-27-09 08:53 PM
129 ... 3456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD