Software For BlackBerry 8830 (TM)

BlackBerry Handheld Software v4.2.2.339 (Multilanguage)

Package Version: 4.2.2.339
    Consisting of:

* Applications: 4.2.2.176
    * Software Platform: 3.0.0.79
    * File name: 8830EFS_PBr4.2.2_rel339_PL3.0.0.79_A4.2.2.176_Bell _Mobility.exe
    * File size: 88.81MB

Download it from HERE

Here are the instructions for installing:

1. Make sure you have the latest version of Desktop Manager installed. It's 4.3, found Here
    2. Download the above file to the PC then install it to the PC by running the file you downloaded. (Choose the 8830)
    3. Locate the vendor.xml file and delete it. It's located in c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader
    4. Plug in BB and Open Desktop Manager. You should be prompted to upgrade.

Have some patience, this could take an hour to complete. DO NOT unplug the device until it is finished!
    Last edited by Click; 02-12-08 at 09:05 PM.
    02-12-08 08:04 PM
    any differences from the 4.2.2.148?
    02-12-08 08:10 PM
    Not sure, maybe. Might have some things fixed on the newer OS. So if you had a problem with text messaging deleting its self, the new OS could fix that!

Click
    02-12-08 09:06 PM
    This version has been out for quite some time hasn't it? Since Nov. 07?
    What/When can we expect a real "new" update?
    02-12-08 09:54 PM
    That's hard to say. Unfortunately we were behind on posting the updates, so this is new to some, and old to others.
    02-12-08 10:35 PM
    I am a little confused, the title states the OS is xxx.176 but then I see where the handheld software is xxx.339. The only thing showing 176 is the applications.

Perhaps this is my own stupidity of not knowing what to look at as I just ordered my 8830 tonight and am anxiously awaiting arrival so I can tweak and play.

Also do these OS updates matter if you are using particular carriers such as Verizon, US Cellular, Tmo, etc.???
    02-14-08 08:57 PM
    I am a little confused, the title states the OS is xxx.176 but then I see where the handheld software is xxx.339. The only thing showing 176 is the applications.

Perhaps this is my own stupidity of not knowing what to look at as I just ordered my 8830 tonight and am anxiously awaiting arrival so I can tweak and play.

Also do these OS updates matter if you are using particular carriers such as Verizon, US Cellular, Tmo, etc.???
    If you just ordered one, there will be no need for the OS update, but just in case I double check the device.
    02-15-08 06:53 PM
    Can someone explain why after doing this update my free memory went from 6MB up to 18MB? I'm not complaining, just curious.
    02-17-08 06:35 PM
    Just a guess but maybe you did a reboot and it freed up memory from open applications?
    02-18-08 09:06 PM
    I tried to upgrade to the new OS from 4.2.2.148 and it wont do it. Has anyone else experienced this or am I missing a step somewhere in the process? Any help is appreciated.
    02-27-08 01:58 AM
    This is probably a dumb question but please bear with me as I'm new to this whole BB world. I have Alltel and my new BB has 4.2.2.123 on it. What differences will I see upgrading to the new version? Should I do it?
    02-27-08 07:25 AM
    I don't think there is any major difference. I upgraded yesterday and haven't really noticed anything different. If you don't know what you are doing, don't have any major problems, or don't want to risk updating and losing some settings, I would say don't bother.
    02-28-08 09:26 AM
    Hi,
    I don't use desktop managment software at all. My 8830 syncs with BES wirelessly all the time. Is it possible to perform the update wirelessly also?
    02-29-08 10:14 AM
    I have the 8830 with VZW. The OS is currently at 4.2.2.176.

The desktop manager software is currently at 4.2.2.12, which I believe is the latest, according to vzw.smithmicro.com/blackberry/

Is this desktop manager software v4.3 new? Can I install over the existing one?

02-29-08 03:57 PM
    Not yet. Once OS 4.5 for the BB is out it will support OTA OS updates (maybe through BES). For now you'll have to use DM. If you have a previous version of DM installed it's a good idea to uninstall that version first before you install the new version.
    03-01-08 09:35 PM
    This is probably a dumb question but please bear with me as I'm new to this whole BB world. I have Alltel and my new BB has 4.2.2.123 on it. What differences will I see upgrading to the new version? Should I do it?
    Two of the best things you'll see are:
    1. You can separate your e-mail and message in boxes. Meaning instead of your emails going to your "messages" inbox, your messages will be received in your messages in box and your emails will go in the emails. Prevents duplication of emails.
    2. On the 8830 you can now send voice notes thru BB messenger.

Let me know if you need the instructions on how to.
    03-02-08 06:05 PM
    Is this software fix also for Verizon users?
    I have another post going about double entries in my calendar: "real" entries that have imported from my Outlook, and these pesky "fake" entries that will not erase. I've used the Backup/Restore delete function on the calendar, but these "fake" entries remain... When I try to delete them, I get the message:
    "Appointment deleted externally. Changes will be lost and the viewer closed.
    OK"
    I click the trackball, and nothing happens.
    I downloaded the abovementioned software, and there was never an hour long loading process with my BB -- just the normal synching which produces these damn double entries.
    Any help would be appreciated, I'm EXTREMELY frustrated with this.
    I'd love to be one of those users who raves about his BB, but at this point, I'm ready to run it over with my car!
    (well, maybe not really)
    03-02-08 06:44 PM
    Is this software fix also for Verizon users?
    I have another post going about double entries in my calendar: "real" entries that have imported from my Outlook, and these pesky "fake" entries that will not erase. I've used the Backup/Restore delete function on the calendar, but these "fake" entries remain... When I try to delete them, I get the message:
    "Appointment deleted externally. Changes will be lost and the viewer closed.
    OK"
    I click the trackball, and nothing happens.
    I downloaded the abovementioned software, and there was never an hour long loading process with my BB -- just the normal synching which produces these damn double entries.
    Any help would be appreciated, I'm EXTREMELY frustrated with this.
    I'd love to be one of those users who raves about his BB, but at this point, I'm ready to run it over with my car!
    (well, maybe not really)
    Instead of pressing the track ball, try pressing the menu key next to the tracking ball.
    03-02-08 08:12 PM
    Black7, I would definately like to know how to upgrade but worried my with my unexperience with this stuff that I will some how mess it up. Is it fairly simple for even a novice to do?
    03-04-08 07:16 AM
    The answer is YES!!!.

4.2.2.123 is known to cause issues with some handsets not registering properly on the voice network. So you can send and receive emails just fine, but you might miss calls, get voice mails a few hours or even days late. All new BB 8830's should be on 4.2.2.176, but if you are not and you are on Sprint or Alltel you should consider upgrading, especially if you have had lots of missed calls and voice mails.

Also there will be another SW version in a few weeks to correct some other issues regarding the stability of the data connection.
    03-04-08 01:47 PM
    So should I wait a few weeks or just install the new .176 version now?
    03-05-08 06:38 AM
    Black7, I would definately like to know how to upgrade but worried my with my unexperience with this stuff that I will some how mess it up. Is it fairly simple for even a novice to do?
    I found it somewhat simple to do. If you do not feel comfortable doing it on your own, you can always take it to your local dealer. You also want to down load the latest Desk Top Manager from the BB website. It is version 4.3. And most important of all, make sure to back up your old data during the installation of your new. You will be prompted to do so. Let me know if i can be of more help.

P.S. When you download the new Desk Top Manager, it also comes with the new OS update. You will not have to download anything else. Once the new manager is installed on your computer, you'll be ready to do the update via usb cord and then just follow the prompts.
    03-05-08 08:18 PM
    Black7:

I did the upgrade but it wiped out all my stuff. Now it won't go back on the BB with the restore.

Any idears?
    03-06-08 09:13 PM
    As I said, it worked but I lost all my stuff. Oh well, have to redownload it and buy it again, no worries.

Anyways, you know what actually made me mad. A guy I know (who claims to be a friend but not mutual) called during the setup so now I have 2 missed calls that I can't get rid of!

Going to have to do another wipe and reload!
    03-07-08 10:17 AM
    I want to upgrade but I don't know how to do this---3. Locate the vendor.xml file and delete it. It's located in c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader

Can someone tell how?
    03-08-08 06:41 AM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD