saw this while updating my 8700c, same website for Vodafone Essar Limited (for Hutch Essar devices), but will work for any 8820 regardless of carrier. All you need to do is delete the vendor file and load via apploader.

Software For BlackBerry® 8820 smartphone

BlackBerry Handheld Software v4.5.0.255 (EastAsia)

Package Version: 4.5.0.255
    Consisting of:

* Applications: 4.5.0.162
    * Software Platform: 2.7.0.103 (i guess they downgraded the radio file; too many problems i guess?)
    * File name: 8820EastAsia_PBr4.5.0_rel255_PL2.7.0.103_A4.5.0.16 2_Vodafone_Essar_Limited__for_Hutch_Essar_devices_ .exe
    * File size: 88.73MB

link:
    https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...DF29596708C94B

*select 8820 from drop down menu

EDIT: oh and here's a very informative write-up on how to use apploader:
    How to Install or Upgrade to a New RIM BlackBerry Operating System (OS) with AppLoader | CrackBerry.com
    Last edited by violatizzle; 09-03-09 at 11:11 AM.
    08-21-09 02:46 AM
    mods should sticky this
    08-27-09 10:48 PM
    Dude, post the correct link first.
    08-29-09 01:45 AM
    seems like they took down the link from hutchison that's why the link was broken. Their newest is .161 again.
    08-31-09 01:11 AM
    Its not broken. The link itself is invalid.
    08-31-09 03:23 PM
    link fixed
    09-03-09 11:11 AM
    .161 seems to have newer files than these available here. Not sure what the difference between the 2 are, but I'd still stick with .161.

Thanks for putting it out there, tho.

** Has anyone else tried this OS? **
    Last edited by epeter1; 09-04-09 at 01:09 PM.
    09-04-09 12:49 PM
    Finally got .162 loaded up on my 8820. Driving it around now.

Nothing too drastic between .161 and .162. I do *seem* to have better (i.e. more consistent) wi-fi connectivity than I did with .161.

So far this is the only thing I've noticed. Maybe in a few days I'll have noticed something else. We'll see.
    09-04-09 04:09 PM
    Finally got .162 loaded up on my 8820. Driving it around now.

Nothing too drastic between .161 and .162. I do *seem* to have better (i.e. more consistent) wi-fi connectivity than I did with .161.

So far this is the only thing I've noticed. Maybe in a few days I'll have noticed something else. We'll see.
    thanks for the update and keep us posted
    09-08-09 11:43 AM
    Alright, final update on this because I'm gonna drop my 8820 in a drawer when the Onyx hits AT&T or 4.6.XXX rolls for the 8820.

Disclaimer: I don't use ALL of the features of my 8820 [BBM, PTT, TTY, etc.]. I don't use IM programs or have a bunch of games. I do use my BB for a TON of things that utilize the GPS, Cell, and Wi-Fi radios. It's my mp3/Pandora/video/slide-show player. It's basically my mobile office for everything I can use it for that I don't *HAVE* to have my laptop to do. I restart/refresh my BB every night and it is my favorite phone/device ever. I say this only because my testing may not have included uses that YOU might use your device for. So, take my review as a grain of salt and check it out for yourself. This OS version may be perfect for you.

Things I've noticed:

1) As mentioned previously, I'm having somewhat better Wi-Fi connectivity in that it doesn't fight with the cell radio as much as it seems to do with .161 when both Wi-Fi and Cell radios are on and searching for signals.

2) My battery usage has gone to ****. I don't know that this is fully to blame with .162, but compared to what I was getting with .161 and before (~14-16 hours of daily normal usage per charge), my battery drains in ~8 hours of normal daily usage.

That's what I have. Perhaps if you're in an East Asian country and need this update you should go for it, but it seems trivial to update to .162 unless you really have a need or desire to.

***UPDATE: 09/09/09 1312***

I have been officially using my phone in the standard daily usage for more than 8 hours (at this point) that I had been using it under the testing that I gave to .162 earlier and have barely had any battery consumption that is out of the ordinary. i.e. my battery is performing normally with this .162 update as it did with .161 and before...so far today. I am not sure what is different, if anything, but I will keep monitoring this situation and give a report back in a few days and let you know what else I have noticed.

Until then, someone else with an 8820 needs to try this out and see what they think.
    Last edited by epeter1; 09-09-09 at 01:12 PM.
    09-09-09 08:34 AM
    I'm downloading it now. I'm plannin to load it up tonite, I'll keep ya posted guys.
    09-19-09 09:50 AM
    Violatizzle, when u say that u use your 8820 for all sorts of gps things. What kinda apps do u use exatcly? I feel that i haven't managed to tap into my 8820's GPS ability that far yet.
    Thx for the info , mate.
    09-19-09 09:58 AM
    Violatizzle, when u say that u use your 8820 for all sorts of gps things. What kinda apps do u use exatcly? I feel that i haven't managed to tap into my 8820's GPS ability that far yet.
    Thx for the info , mate.
    Hi Fandysilalahi,

The 8820's gps can be used by such programs as:
    Google Maps: Google Maps on your mobile phone

and

amAze gps: Download the amAze GPS free navigation suite || amAzeGPS.com

There are many other applications out there that utilize the gps on your 8820, so you should look further into other gps programs for the blackberry.

Good luck!
    09-20-09 11:01 AM
    Thx for the info , mate.
    That's actually me that said that (not that it matters, although I had to mention it for some reason. weird.) and as far GPS Utilities go there are a plethora of them available for free. Okay, well, there are a couple that are worth it and some that aren't.

(amAze GPS ).

From their website:
    "amAze is a first of its kind free navigation and local search service. It is free to download and use and it contains wide coverage of maps including aerial photo in Europe, North America, Australia and parts of Asia and Africa."

As far as free GPS Navigational apps go, this is pretty much not too bad. It does a good job, but it was more than I needed/wanted.

I do a lot of design work for GPS and PND devices everyday in my job and, not to sound too pompous, but I have a pretty good sense of direction and have a decent time finding things, so I don't really use Navigational turn-by-turn software seemingly ever. Plus, it takes up space on my 'Berry and I don't really like that

I do use GPSLogger for my on foot activities. It does a good job of tracking my route and I can add specific points to the system. It has a compass and day/night mode. It's pretty much everything you need except telling you to "turn right on Market St."

And then, of course, there's always Google maps. You can find that one. It's not too hard. Plus, it's pretty much the same as the Internet version on your PC...only smaller.

There are more out there and you should check them out, but please don't buy into the whole AT&T or VZW Navigtor or other corporate sunscription Navigation software....unless you want to, of course. $10/month for what you can get for free isn't really worth it. At that point you're basically paying for the data stream and cooler graphics, not accuracy in navigation. If you can get the same accuracy for free, why not?
    Last edited by epeter1; 09-21-09 at 07:20 AM.
    09-21-09 07:18 AM
    That's actually me that said that (not that it matters, although I had to mention it for some reason. weird.) and as far GPS Utilities go there are a plethora of them available for free. Okay, well, there are a couple that are worth it and some that aren't.

(amAze GPS ).

From their website:
    "amAze is a first of its kind free navigation and local search service. It is free to download and use and it contains wide coverage of maps including aerial photo in Europe, North America, Australia and parts of Asia and Africa."

As far as free GPS Navigational apps go, this is pretty much not too bad. It does a good job, but it was more than I needed/wanted.

I do a lot of design work for GPS and PND devices everyday in my job and, not to sound too pompous, but I have a pretty good sense of direction and have a decent time finding things, so I don't really use Navigational turn-by-turn software seemingly ever. Plus, it takes up space on my 'Berry and I don't really like that

I do use GPSLogger for my on foot activities. It does a good job of tracking my route and I can add specific points to the system. It has a compass and day/night mode. It's pretty much everything you need except telling you to "turn right on Market St."

And then, of course, there's always Google maps. You can find that one. It's not too hard. Plus, it's pretty much the same as the Internet version on your PC...only smaller.

There are more out there and you should check them out, but please don't buy into the whole AT&T or VZW Navigtor or other corporate sunscription Navigation software....unless you want to, of course. $10/month for what you can get for free isn't really worth it. At that point you're basically paying for the data stream and cooler graphics, not accuracy in navigation. If you can get the same accuracy for free, why not?
    wow I just saw that lol. Anyway, good in-depth review!
    09-21-09 11:50 AM
    Thanks, man.
    09-21-09 10:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD