Hello CB,

I love this site. I need help with the operating system. I have one huge question.

1. what does 4.5OS offer that the 4.2 currently doesnt offer.. what specific functions does it include or why should i upgrade???

thanks a million....
    11-09-08 09:09 PM
    4.5 has HTML email and you will be able to watch Youtube. Those are the major ones I can remember off the top of my head.
    11-09-08 09:13 PM
    Welcome to CB!

This blackberry website has a nice chart that shows what the 4.5 upgrade will do for your phone:

BlackBerry - BlackBerry Device Software

Enjoy the addiction
    11-09-08 10:28 PM
    Now your only decision is whether to wait until the official version comes out or to use the unofficial ones available.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-09-08 10:35 PM
    The official release available here in another thread is the 4.5.0.77 version. There is a beta 4.5.0.97 release, but it's not widely available yet. Both seem to include the fixes for 4.5. Some addicts reported that the .97 version was more snappy. If you'd like to hear about my experience with .97 PM me and I'll be happy to share additional details with you.
    11-09-08 10:42 PM
    The official release available here in another thread is the 4.5.0.77 version. There is a beta 4.5.0.97 release, but it's not widely available yet. Both seem to include the fixes for 4.5. Some addicts reported that the .97 version was more snappy. If you'd like to hear about my experience with .97 PM me and I'll be happy to share additional details with you.
    You're right. I should be more clear that the T-Mobile official version is not available. Yet.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-09-08 10:57 PM
    Hey nrphlly,

That is a great question, and I often wondered what 4.5 did for me, that 4.2 did not. Perusing these forums, I found my bits and pieces of my eventual answer here and there, and intended to make a comprehensive post about the differences (replete with pictures!), but stopped short due to time and a fear it was redundant and already better covered elsewhere.

Some quick differences I just personally love:
    • Anything formatted as a list (ie. Address Book) has a better design and layout, easier to read.
    • Along a similar point, native applications like the Calendar, have more obvious spacings. Again, easier to read and input data.
    • Ability to paint your Calendar a different color. Mine has a light shade of green.
    • Media is revamped. You'll notice a brand new interface. As mentioned in a link of a post above, there is now playlist support. Also! Volume Up/Down buttons, when depressed will now change tracks, if you did not have this functionality before.
    • Folder support! Haven't you ever wished you could group certain applications in folders and not just Hide them on the main desktop? Now you can! It's a little slow accessing these folders, but worth it.
    • Again, as mentioned, there is now a Voice Notes option.
    • Documents to Go trial version can be installed. You can edit Word/Powerpoint documents/slides. Basic, but it works.
    • Generally, a slightly, slightly! snappier feeling when perusing the BB's menus.
    • For me, unsure about everyone else, I had a new font installed for me, "BBAlpha Sans", which is just so much crisper. Much better for general readability, and especially for applications like Opera Mini.

Ensure you find the latest version for your BB 88xx model, only because I had one version that drained battery life big time throughout the day. Mine is currently running 4.5.81 (108), but this is for the Blackberry 8800.
    11-21-08 12:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD