Aight, so i broke down and got myself a 8830 BB, man i'm using the crap out of this thing already and it's only been a day! I love it!!!!!

My question tho, is how long should I expect the battery to last? I bought it used from someone who had it since January of this year. I currently have it sync'd to four different emails and i'm signed into MSN Mobile Live Messenger all the time. I charged it up overnight last night and 24 hours later i'm already down to a single bar.

My usage for the day has been sending and receiving emails on one of the sync'd accounts throughout the day and then using MSN Mobile Live for about 2 hours tonight. I went out and got a holster this afternoon, before than it was sitting in my pocket when I wasn't using it. Should I expect this to be about the limit of my poor battery or should I assume that the battery is bad and start looking for a replacement?
    05-27-09 10:03 PM
    How many apps do you have running in the background besides MSN? Any IM service will drain battery and memory. Are you using the standby mode witht he mute key on top left? That will lock your device and save battery, yet you will still get calls and emails, notifications, etc. Also make sure you are closing out of your apps completely. What OS are you running?
    05-27-09 10:10 PM
    Probably have alot of apps running in the background. I'm not sure how to tell, or how to tell what OS i'm running. Any help is greatly appreciated!

I'm using the holster quite a bit so i'm not ever using the sleep button unless necessary.
    05-27-09 10:16 PM
    Probably have alot of apps running in the background. I'm not sure how to tell, or how to tell what OS i'm running. Any help is greatly appreciated!

I'm using the holster quite a bit so i'm not ever using the sleep button unless necessary.
    Your OS is in the About section in Options. The latest OS for the 8830 is 4.5.0.138 and would recommend updating to that.

You need to completely close out of apps, not just hit the esc key, to fully exit or they can run in the background and will drain memory ad battery

I believe on the 8830 to pull up your open running apps is alt+esc. Browser, phone, home, BBM, and message will always run.

Check out the BB 101 series for some great info as well as the FAQ Sticky and OS sticky in the 8830 forum
    05-27-09 10:29 PM
    Holy **** batman! My OS is 4.2.2.128!!!! How does one fix that?!
    05-27-09 10:39 PM
    Holy **** batman! My OS is 4.2.2.128!!!! How does one fix that?!
    Go to blackberry.com and find your OS upgrade site for Verizon. Also be sure to follow the "How To Upgrade Your OS" sticky here on Crackberry. This will get you up to speed. Welcome to the club!

05-27-09 10:42 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f61/new...-138-a-192602/

Check that out. Also make sure your DM is at 4.5 or 4.6
    05-27-09 10:43 PM
    I would check to see if MSN mobile live is running all of the time or just when you are using the program. typically, messaging programs such as that use a constant data connection with the server that drains the battery quickly. you can always check which programs are running in the background by clicking the bb button so that the list in the bottom left of the screen appears and then selecting switch application. The apps that appear in the bar are the ones currently running. The way to close a program completely is to be in the said program and then clicking the bb button and then selecting close. The only problem with closing your MSN though will be you wont receive any messages from that service. However you may be able to troubleshoot and see where the battery drain is coming from. - best of luck
    05-27-09 10:56 PM

Check that out. Also make sure your DM is at 4.5 or 4.6
    After about an hour (including time to download software) I have successfully updated my OS software to 4.5.0.138 using DM 4.7. I found that I had no issues whatsoever doing the upgrade in part because my computer wasn't doing anything else, at all. I have seen instances of this in the IT world I work in, some application or software not installing right because of other background processes running. I can honestly say it was a first time one shot one kill situation. I'll let my phone charge up over night again and we'll see how it runs tomorrow. Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions.
    05-28-09 01:33 AM
    After about an hour (including time to download software) I have successfully updated my OS software to 4.5.0.138 using DM 4.7. I found that I had no issues whatsoever doing the upgrade in part because my computer wasn't doing anything else, at all. I have seen instances of this in the IT world I work in, some application or software not installing right because of other background processes running. I can honestly say it was a first time one shot one kill situation. I'll let my phone charge up over night again and we'll see how it runs tomorrow. Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions.
    Sounds great! Yeah the first time updating is always a bit sketchy, but after that its second nature. Next step is to get rid of all the preloaded junk that you dont use/need to free up space.

I would recommend picking up BBFileScout and MeterBerry. Two really great apps. Did you do a battery pull after your update? Always a good idea to do a few after install and at least once a day for best performance. MeterBerry has a battery pull sim as well and can schedule it to do automatically.
    05-28-09 01:44 AM
    I would recommend picking up BBFileScout and MeterBerry. Two really great apps. Did you do a battery pull after your update? Always a good idea to do a few after install and at least once a day for best performance. MeterBerry has a battery pull sim as well and can schedule it to do automatically.
    I checked up on Meterberry, seems like it's only available for the Storm. If that's the case can anyone suggest something that's compatible with the 8830?
    05-28-09 07:56 AM
    You can do a double soft reboot instead of the battery pull or that app. Hold down the alt+shift+del keys until the screen goes black. Give it a minute or 2, and when you see the hourglass, hit the 3 keys again. Just like a battery pull but without the fuss.

I also recommend you download Crackmem to help optimize memory. Do an advanced search for Crackmem by Pete6 to find it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-28-09 10:26 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD