My 8820 is one week old and over the past 2 days it has just shut down on its own, totally dead and I cannot wake it with any button presses. Once I pop the battery it comes back to life, plenty of battery life and then works for a while. Half a day later, I put it down for an hour, go to pick it up.. Same deal.

Called ATT. First they said the IMEI # was recorded incorrectly as was the the serial # on the SIM card. But after they corrected that, it still happened twice.

They are going to ship a new 8820 but I was wondering if any one has had this happen or has any suspicions as to what may cause it. I'm leary of my next 8820 now. I'll be watching very carefully to see if the new one does it within 30 days.

Gene
    08-07-08 08:40 PM
    I have not heard of that. I had the 8820 for 8 months and never had a issue. I sold it only because I needed a camera so I bought the 8310.
    08-07-08 08:46 PM
    I have had my 8820 for almost a year now with no problems like what you experienced. This model has served me well so far.
    08-08-08 01:15 PM
    I've seen this happen on the 8820 devices with both T-Mobile and AT&T. It's rare but it does happen. Some just go dark then have to be rebooted. Others won't power up but the red light flashes at first, then later come on as if nothing happened. As I mentioned out of hundreds of devices, I've seen this no more than 10 times. I just attributed this to a bad device in the bunch and did what you did; return the device.
    08-08-08 04:31 PM
    I got my new one today. I'll get it working and report back. I suspect my original was just a bad piece of hardware.
    08-08-08 09:45 PM
    I bought my 8820 in march and it shuts down often, sometimes even when I'm calling or scrolling my organizer, ...

We sent the device back to 8820, got a new one, and guess: the problem still occurs...

We are sending it back again to Blackberry.
    08-19-08 03:51 AM
    I bought my 8820 in march and it shuts down often, sometimes even when I'm calling or scrolling my organizer, ...

We sent the device back to 8820, got a new one, and guess: the problem still occurs...

We are sending it back again to Blackberry.
    Can I get an update from some of you who have had this problem or something similar leading to a return of the offending Blackberry? Did replacing the initial BB work for most of you? I have a 2 day old Blackberry Pearl Flip 8820 which seems to go dark and reboot every so often (2-3 times a day) and it always seems as though the red light is on (non-blinking) when I close the phone and wait for the reboot to go thru its stages.

I would like to know if getting a replacement will likely resolve this issue (ie: is the problem rare among a large batch of good ones) or is this problem common or becoming common among the BB 8820 devices out there?

Thanks all.

11-24-08 12:53 PM
    I deal with blackberry support for a private organization and we have noticed a pattern - a lot of the 8820's that come in for this spontaneous shutdown issue appear to be using the alternate themes with the BB Dimension series (Icon, Today, Zen). When I have them revert back to the AT&T theme, and request that the user use the AT&T theme for a couple of days, the result is: The shutdown problem (for a majority but not all) of the 8820's are being reported as being resolved by the user.
    12-01-08 08:55 AM
    I'm another who has had the 8820 for over 6 months and have never had a minute of trouble.
    12-01-08 08:41 PM
    I have had the 8820 for over a year now. This would be the second time in about a month where it spontaneously shut down. Last time, I just charged it and it came back to life as if nothing happened. Now it shut down, still have the flashing red light, but no life. I pulled the battery out several times and waited a bit before placing the battery back. Any solutions other than waiting it out and hopefully it comes out of a coma?
    02-04-10 08:29 PM
    Do you happen to bring the phone with you when you get in the shower?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-05-10 08:43 AM
    I have the same issue. Keeps rebooting. I wiped the phone and tried to reinstall and it won't reconnect at the end of the install. I am at the end of my rope
    02-07-10 02:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD