I just took delivery of a brand new AT&T 8820, NOS in the box.

Took me about 5 minutes to get the battery door off...Now i can see where the battery goes...but is that little space under the metal hinge where the memory card goes??? Looks like the memory card would be about 5/8" x 5/8"...What card would I need for this??? MicroSD???

I'll be taking this overseas in a few weeks...I'd like to pick up a prepaid SIM card to test it out here first...getting one is no problem; AT&T and T-Mobile both offer prepaid cards...but where does it go???

I see there is a couple people offering unlock codes on eBay...That shouldn't be a problem...

Questions...and of course, the local AT&T store is full of sales people with...blank stares...
    12-30-09 05:16 PM
    When I first got my new 9700, I too did not know as well. Check the manual, there is a guide for all of this.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-30-09 05:20 PM
    When I first got my new 9700, I too did not know as well. Check the manual, there is a guide for all of this.
    Thanks for your reply! My 8820 was new, seal on box unbroken, but it only has a "Getting Started Guide", a "Quick Start Guide", and a CD. No manual.

I'm guessing that there must be a manual on AT&T's site somewhere, in PDF form...I'll take a look...
    12-30-09 05:30 PM
    Ye I have a handset aswell, kinda tricky, lets see if this helps.

1. Open the battery door, you should see the green battery with the BB LOGO facing downwards if the phone is upright. Take the battery out.

2. You will notice there is nothing under-neath the battery but just a silver plate.

3. Now you should see the slot for the MicroSD, which is clearly visible, just slide that metal holder down and that should flip it up. Insert the SD so the (Gold Ports) are facing, down, after a few trys in different positions you should get it. Now just push everything back down in place

4. Left of the SD slot should be the SIM-CARD slot. Just outside that slot you should see a picture of a sim-card ( you might need glasses for these). Just insert sim-card the way the picture is shown, Insert battery, and you are done.

Hope this helps.
    12-31-09 12:03 PM
    Ye I have a handset aswell, kinda tricky, lets see if this helps.

1. Open the battery door, you should see the green battery with the BB LOGO facing downwards if the phone is upright. Take the battery out.

2. You will notice there is nothing under-neath the battery but just a silver plate.

3. Now you should see the slot for the MicroSD, which is clearly visible, just slide that metal holder down and that should flip it up. Insert the SD so the (Gold Ports) are facing, down, after a few trys in different positions you should get it. Now just push everything back down in place

4. Left of the SD slot should be the SIM-CARD slot. Just outside that slot you should see a picture of a sim-card ( you might need glasses for these). Just insert sim-card the way the picture is shown, Insert battery, and you are done.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks Xion901!

I have a prepaid SIM card on order (my AT&T 8820 didn't come with any SIM card).

After unlocking & installing the SIM card, can I use the phone locally (US) immediately (just dial out) or is there some other configuration I need to do??? (I'm hoping the prepaid SIM comes with some instructions).

Before I go anywhere, I'd like to use this as a backup to my Verizon Tour here in CONUS. Don't really need data/Internet connection, although that would be nice. Phone service w/prepaid SIM card is what I'm after.

Thanks in advance!
    01-03-10 09:19 AM
    yes after unlocking you will have emmediete use. once traveled abroad you will than have to dial country code as necessary
    01-03-10 09:23 AM
    yes after unlocking you will have emmediete use. once traveled abroad you will than have to dial country code as necessary
    Thank you!

I am new to all this, and hopefully with the help I've gotten here I won't have as many problems as I'm envisioning...

When the prepaid SIM runs out, can it be "re-filled" or will an new prepaid SIM be required???
    01-03-10 09:28 AM
    I just took delivery of a brand new AT&T 8820, NOS in the box.

Took me about 5 minutes to get the battery door off...Now i can see where the battery goes...but is that little space under the metal hinge where the memory card goes??? Looks like the memory card would be about 5/8" x 5/8"...What card would I need for this??? MicroSD???

I'll be taking this overseas in a few weeks...I'd like to pick up a prepaid SIM card to test it out here first...getting one is no problem; AT&T and T-Mobile both offer prepaid cards...but where does it go???

I see there is a couple people offering unlock codes on eBay...That shouldn't be a problem...

Questions...and of course, the local AT&T store is full of sales people with...blank stares...
    Any micro sd card will work. Your phone will work just fine overseas once unlocked. Let us know if you need it unlocked we can help you.
    01-05-10 12:00 AM
    So a friend gave me an AT&T 8820, but when I take the back off I only see the Micro SD holder -- the card I currently have in my 7290 is too large. The message on the phone is "Please Insert SIM". The phone I received is locked according to MEP codes; If I unlock it, I still can't switch my card back and forth, is that right? Are all 8820's CMDA, or do they vary with the provider's name attached? Is there a way I can make this phone work with my old card's information without going through AT&T's hoops? I'd like to try the phone out for awhile and be able to go back to my other if I don't like it. Sorry for the re-tread here, but I don't understand how I can unlock the phone and have it support GSM, etc. . . .

Thanks!
    01-06-10 12:36 PM
    yes after unlocking you will have immediate
    use...
    ...Or maybe not...

OK, I have it unlocked -

Options/Advanced
    SIM Card
    SIM Card: Security Disabled
    ID [long number]
    Phone Number: Unknown Number

and

Options/Advanced
    SIM Card
    SIM Disabled
    Network: Disabled
    Network Subset: Disabled
    Service Provider: Disabled
    Corporate: Disabled
    Phone Number: Unknown Number

I have an AT&T Prepaid SIM Card - Non Active card

(I didn't want it activated immediately)

The main screen also says "SIM Card Rejected"

I have it inserted the way the little cartouche next to the slot shows.

Now...Since it is "Non Active", I need to activate it...here is where I get conflicting instructions (from posts here on this Forum)...

One instruction says to dial 611...another says to dial *611...

Which is correct??? Will the phone allow this with a Non Active card??? Or do I need to do something else???

(As always - many Thanks! for replies)
    01-06-10 12:48 PM
    It may or may not work, but for att it is 611 no "*" is needed. Or call 1.800.331.0500
    01-06-10 01:04 PM
    It may or may not work, but for att it is 611 no "*" is needed. Or call 1.800.331.0500
    CarrierUnlock -

Thank you for your replies! I appreciate your help!

I am ashamed to say that I got my unlock code from a competitor...I did not see your posts here until after I had gotten it...

Next time, I'll be sure to call on you!
    01-06-10 01:11 PM
    Hey no problem
    01-06-10 01:44 PM
    So a friend gave me an AT&T 8820, but when I take the back off I only see the Micro SD holder -- the card I currently have in my 7290 is too large. The message on the phone is "Please Insert SIM". The phone I received is locked according to MEP codes; If I unlock it, I still can't switch my card back and forth, is that right? Are all 8820's CMDA, or do they vary with the provider's name attached? Is there a way I can make this phone work with my old card's information without going through AT&T's hoops? I'd like to try the phone out for awhile and be able to go back to my other if I don't like it. Sorry for the re-tread here, but I don't understand how I can unlock the phone and have it support GSM, etc. . . .

Thanks!
    Here's a pic of my 8820...The MicroSD card is in the middle; under the steel clip...The SIM card is the blue/white card next to it...the green is the battery...(but you knew that)...

BTW: On the 8820, you don't need a SIM card in it to unlock it...

And the prepaid SIM card I bought ($8.50) is the "try before you buy" option that I'm going to try out...Phone only, and card is only good for 30 days after activation, and x amount of minutes...

Here's the CrackBerry Tut I used to unlock my 8820...Only one comment to add; after you enter your 10-digit unlock code, click the trackball within a few seconds, or it will delete the number and ask you to enter it again...

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-101...m-blackberry-s
    Last edited by ferretface; 01-06-10 at 02:26 PM.
    01-06-10 02:06 PM
    I feel so stupid. Yes, it is right there in front of my eyes.
    I'll be contacting you about unlock stuff after I quit turning red and crawl out from under the rock of embarrasment I am feeling.

Also, thanks for the link -- very helpful!
    01-06-10 02:34 PM
    I feel so stupid. Yes, it is right there in front of my eyes.
    I'll be contacting you about unlock stuff after I quit turning red and crawl out from under the rock of embarrasment I am feeling.
    Don't feel bad...I had to have a Forum member show me where the slot was...There is a tiny graphic on the plastic case showing how to insert the card...

For me, getting that metal clip to snap in was tough...I'm still not sure it's secure...but the 2GB memory card shows up in Settings/Options/Media Card...
    01-06-10 02:54 PM
    The clips aren't as secure as one would hope. You should have heard a small snap when you locked it in place.
    01-06-10 03:04 PM
    your welcome mate.

Thanks Xion901!

I have a prepaid SIM card on order (my AT&T 8820 didn't come with any SIM card).

After unlocking & installing the SIM card, can I use the phone locally (US) immediately (just dial out) or is there some other configuration I need to do??? (I'm hoping the prepaid SIM comes with some instructions).

Before I go anywhere, I'd like to use this as a backup to my Verizon Tour here in CONUS. Don't really need data/Internet connection, although that would be nice. Phone service w/prepaid SIM card is what I'm after.

Thanks in advance!
    01-09-10 02:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD