When travelling to a different time zone than my home the 8830 does not update itself to display the correct time in the new time zone. Every other phone I've had with Verizon has done this automatically. When I look at time/date under options the network time is correct - its just that it doesn't update the display on the phone. I am I missing a setting or is this just the wat it is?

Thanks,
    Bill
    09-06-07 01:10 AM
    im on the telus network had the same problem as well
    09-06-07 03:04 PM
    Same question - 'world edition' phone eh? And i have to manually fix the time when switching time zones? And no gps enabled?

Maybe we should petition to have this phone renamed 'stay-at-home edition'. Because So far traveling with this phone has been nothing but inconveinient.

Too bad for those with careers based on travel.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-07-07 06:00 PM
    I switched from Treo and have to say the BBerry is much less problematic. However, the network time issue is truly a pain. I have spent the last couple of days talking to Verizon "experts." The upshot is they said a firmware update was available at the Verison site. There is an August '07 update reported to fix the network time issue, contacts information like adding "categories" to the phone contacts like on Outlook, and other issues. I did the update - takes a bit of time to download and to install. It did ad categories to the contacts, but did NOT fix the network time issue.

Today I've been on the phone three seperate times speaking to techs. The last wanted me to do a hard reset, their standard fix. However, installing the upate does do a hard reset. On hold now for the Blackberry team. Still no resolution.

Not having the time adjust to network sucks. Call Verison and complain, ask for a supervisor, and keep calling.
    09-18-07 02:28 PM
    In my experience this is a general problem with Verizon and BB. My previous phones with Verizon always updated to the new time zone but when I switched to the BB7130e I noticed this problem right away. Same with my 8830. In addition, I tried manually adjusting the time zone and then found that all my appointments were off by the time zone difference. This is a nuisance but for now I'm living with it by just relying on my watch, etc., for the current time when I travel.
    09-23-07 06:00 PM
    I don't think you will find a BB device that will automatically change the time zone or for that matter a Windows Mobile phone. I know neither my Samsung I600 or Motorola Q did and for the very reasons billsuds related as his problem with appointment times. Having the time zones change automatically could play havoc with your calendar appointments.
    09-23-07 07:13 PM
    I just got off the phone with Verizon Tech support on this issue. I have been advised to set the DATE/TIME Setting to BLACKBERRY instead of NETWORK. I am told this will pull the time from the Blackberry servers instead of the Verizon servers. Won't know if this works until the next time I travel across time zones.
    09-24-07 07:10 PM
    I just got off the phone with Verizon Tech support on this issue. I have been advised to set the DATE/TIME Setting to BLACKBERRY instead of NETWORK. I am told this will pull the time from the Blackberry servers instead of the Verizon servers. Won't know if this works until the next time I travel across time zones.
    Suffice it to say that I don't put much faith in the advice of VZW technical staff. No matter what server you are pulling the time from it will GMT time that is adjusted based on the time zone setting you put on the phone.
    09-24-07 07:51 PM
    I have a sprint 8830 and have the same problem. Selecting Blackberry under source didnt change anything. This is really annoying. Calendar appointments should have an associated timezone and should adjust to the proper time corresponding the the time and timezone in the appointment. Does anybody know the answer to this problem?
    11-23-07 11:39 PM
    anyone ever get a resolution to this problem? I am based in the central time zone and just traveled to the east coast and had this problem. I was with two other bb users on both TMO and Sprint and they both had the same problem as well. Can no bb actually switch times automatically?
    12-18-07 07:00 PM
    There is no resolution to this problem.

The time on the BlackBerry is controlled by the network time AND the time zone selected. This is primarly for 1 reason, the calendar.

If you want specifics, message me, but the long and the short of it is that if you change time zones due to travel, you have to update your BB time zone. No setting (network vs blackberry vs none) will change this. This is not a "bug", but a feature, and has no chance of being changed any time soon.
    12-18-07 07:39 PM
    Thanks for the response. Not the one that I was hoping for but I guess there is nothing that can be done about it. Thanks.
    12-18-07 08:16 PM
    No problem at all.
    12-18-07 08:23 PM
    Well, have you changed time zones and if so did it work?
    12-19-07 12:51 PM
    AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now that's some funny stuff right there. Who is training these stupid monkeys who answer the phone for Verizon. OMG that's funny!

Setting the Time Source to Blackberry means the time is controlled by the PHONE! That means that your phone DOES NOT do any time updates from any outside source.

Geebus that's some funny stuff. Verizon tech support is teh B3st3st!

On a sidenote. Does your PC change timezones automatically when you travel? Why would you think a PC that's also a phone would do this for you automatically? It would be nice if it had dual timezones as in Home and Current and the Current timezone is changed based on GPS location, but we're not there yet. Maybe Google will be cool enough to think out of the box on that one when the GPhone comes out, but sadly I doubt it.
    Last edited by JRSCCivic98; 12-19-07 at 04:23 PM.
    12-19-07 04:20 PM
    AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now that's some funny stuff right there. Who is training these stupid monkeys who answer the phone for Verizon. OMG that's funny!

Setting the Time Source to Blackberry means the time is controlled by the PHONE! That means that your phone DOES NOT do any time updates from any outside source.

Geebus that's some funny stuff. Verizon tech support is teh B3st3st!

On a sidenote. Does your PC change timezones automatically when you travel? Why would you think a PC that's also a phone would do this for you automatically? It would be nice if it had dual timezones as in Home and Current and the Current timezone is changed based on GPS location, but we're not there yet. Maybe Google will be cool enough to think out of the box on that one when the GPhone comes out, but sadly I doubt it.
    Actually, NO...setting the source to BLACKBERRY does mean its getting it from the BlackBerry network (NOC), but it's just as accurate as the NETWORK (carrier's servers). The NONE option is if you want the BB to no get updates from an outside source.
    12-19-07 05:07 PM
    ^^^ Doesn't work.
    Last edited by JRSCCivic98; 12-20-07 at 09:58 AM.
    12-19-07 07:34 PM
    ^^^ Doesn't work.
    I never suggested that any of the 3 options would allow for auto update when traveling between time zones, just that the BlackBerry option gets its time from the BB NOC, and the Network option gets its time from the Carrier network...ultimately, the BB will still display the time in the time zone it has been set to, not the time zone it may happen to be currently in.

Here's an example:
    BB in New York
    Network time = 1:00pm EST (which is actually 6:00pm GMT -5)
    BB timezone = EST
    Time shown on BB = 1:00pm

BB then goes to LA
    Network time = 2:00pm PST (which is actually 10:00pm GMT -8)
    BB timezone = EST
    Time shown on BB = 10:00pm GMT - 5 = 5:00pm

Esentially, it takes the GMT time, applies the time zone offset, and displays the calculated time....and since the GMT time doesn't change when you travel, neither does the BB time, unless you apply a different offset (timezone).
    12-20-07 08:55 PM
    Thanks for the response. Not the one that I was hoping for but I guess there is nothing that can be done about it. Thanks.
    The solution lies in the hands of RIM. If everyone should take the time to complain about this problem to RIM then they will at least give some attention to the problem. My Treo 700w would change with the time zone as necessary, and the corresponding calendar would change as well.
    12-20-07 09:38 PM
    The solution lies in the hands of RIM. If everyone should take the time to complain about this problem to RIM then they will at least give some attention to the problem.
    They're too busy stating their higher than estimated 4th qtr earnings which they got from all of our dumb a$$s going out and buying crack(berries) to begin with. I know I'm hooked and can't live with it and I can't chuck it against the wall either
    12-21-07 12:17 PM
    I just recently found out about this issue and was rather dissapointed that the phone does not update. I understand updating to local time will throw off the calendar, but why not give and option to users to choose to auto update or not. I am an airline pilot and our schedules are based on local times, and i am constantly in different time zones. Dont know that I would have bought the phone if I knew this was even an issue!
    01-15-08 09:48 PM
    As long as we are expressing our wishes for the next update:

The BB should of course read its time from the network when the settings tell it to do so. (It doesn't do this now.) If you tell it not to, it should leave the time as set in the home time zone (or wherever else you se it).

And the calendar should adjust if you ask it to, but be independent of the time setting if you select that as a preference. That was an option on my old, wagon-wheel days PDA and it ment that if I was in Europe, the appointmets I made before I left didn't move ahead five hours and the ones I made while I was there didn't leap back five hours when I was at home. Also, my flight information stayed put!
    01-20-08 12:38 PM
    The problem is not that the network doesn't issue the correct time depending on timezone. The problem is that the BB does its own time calculation to determine it's time and that's where the issue is. For example, a simple cell phone will switch timezones when you travel... just like my old phone used to when set to get time from the network.
    01-20-08 02:46 PM
    Hummm. My Treo worked just fine. Got local time from the local network, and as long as my calendar entries were set properly, they adjusted properly. This is a BUG !

When developers can't, or won't make something work the way it should, they call it a Feature. Some things never change.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-28-08 11:13 AM
    actually, this is not a bug: nothing is broken, it just doesn't work the way that we want it to.... Neither is this a feature, if they're trying to call it that... they certainly didn't go out of their way to put it in there and it doesn't serve any positive useful purpose as far as I can tell, other than to potentially avoid a legitimate bug with the calendar.

what this is is a beautiful example of lazy programming . If they took the time to write the calendar application correctly I think that they could implement this much requested feature that exists on every other phone without a whole lot of effort.

As others have mentioned, they should, at the very least, provide a "calendar-be-darnned" option that adjusts the time based on the timezone even if it screws up some of the other programs. I, for one, did not buy the phone with any intent of using either the calendar or the tasks. I've had it for 1 week and the lack of a timezone change already made me 30 minutes late for dinner at a restaurant with family.

in response to the guy who said that my laptop doesn't do it, why should I expect my phone to do it: because my laptop doesn't really know where it is. All cell phones have a rudimentary GPS built into them. They send and receive information from the nearest cell phone tower. By knowing which site it's connecting to it should be pretty easy to determine what timezone to use / the site can let it know. Just like every basic cell phone in existance.

Does anyone know if there's a program that I can download to do this?
    03-10-08 10:38 PM
79 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD