@Latina berry... the welcomes are nice... there is a New Members section for that. Some people will consider what you are doing a thread crap, in the middle of other discussion and non-topical to the thread topic.
    04-16-08 09:16 AM
    @Latina berry... the welcomes are nice... there is a New Members section for that. Some people will consider what you are doing a thread crap, in the middle of other discussion and non-topical to the thread topic.
    Too bad that you dont like LATINO I like you anyway!
    04-16-08 03:11 PM
    I can't believe all of the bickering about this topic!

I don't have 4 secretaries, in fact I don't have any. I don't care to use Outlook, nor do I care to use the calendar. I simply want a phone that has the right time on it when I land in a new location. I've read thread after thread about this, with the solution being change the timezone yourself. Well if changing the timezone is so easy for me to do, why can't there be a third option available for the BB to change it. How is the blackberry changing the timezone any different from me changing it? Make this device convenient for the other half who would benefit more from having the corrected time available than an empty calendar and Outlook.

Maybe someone can put the code together and offer a third party fix/solution to this ongoing issue.
    05-01-08 05:42 PM
    The fact that you don't have four secretaries and don't use Outlook would be the main reason to use the Calendar appointments as we have recommended.

Good luck.
    05-02-08 08:18 AM
    The fact that you don't have four secretaries and don't use Outlook would be the main reason to use the Calendar appointments as we have recommended.

Good luck.
    You missed the point of my post entirely. I tried to make it as diplomatic as possible. I seriously doubt there are any entries I can make in Outlook that would make any contributions to my running life support on a learjet nor are there enough appointments in this world that could require me to put Outlook on my computer.

Thanks for you input in this matter. Be sure to give one of your secretaries a pinch on the a** for me eagh?
    05-02-08 10:20 AM
    And you missed the point of mine as well, you don't need Outlook or secretaries to do it right.

It is just simple to place your appointment in the correct time zone to begin with.

You don't have to insulting around here, big man. We understand you are important.
    05-02-08 10:27 AM
    ...It is just simple to place your appointment in the correct time zone to begin with...
    In one simple sentence you capture what seemed so hard to get across earlier in this thread. Perfectly said.

If only Outlook had a time zone field on a per-appointment basis.
    05-02-08 10:39 AM
    Wow all this arguing is ridiculous. Half the people are satisfied with the way it works now...thats fine. Why not add a little checkbox in the time settings that says automatically update time. That way everyone is happy. I do not use the calendar as extensively as most of you. All my appointments and reminders are set in local time.

I'll sometimes stop in 5+ timezones on the way to my final destination. It is a pain in the @ss to keep manually updating the timezone. The phone knows the local time....I just want it displayed automatically on my home screen. Is that really too much to ask.

BTW, The timezone time was wrong last time I was in Fiji. The Network time said 2pm but when on the Fiji Time Zone it displayed 3pm. (The correct time was the network time)
    05-02-08 12:05 PM
    Wow all this arguing is ridiculous. Half the people are satisfied with the way it works now...thats fine. Why not add a little checkbox in the time settings that says automatically update time. That way everyone is happy.
    Well said.

Maybe someone capable of writing an add in will read this. Maybe even RIM! There does seem to be quite a demand for it.
    05-02-08 04:35 PM
    Maybe someone will develop a third party application.

Over the past couple of years this issue has been one of most debated on BB forums all over, and RIM has thus far chosen to not include it in any OS updates (and neither in OS 4.5).

So--I have found one French-made application that was to solve this problem, but it simply didn't work (do the French even have more than one TZ--why would it matter there? ).

Please know though, that if a third party application is found, and it changes your TZ automatically, all your appointments in your Calendar will be off by a like amount of time, unless the user has taken the simple step of entering their appointments for the correct TZ in the first place. Without that one step, all is for naught.
    05-02-08 04:44 PM
    Please know though, that if a third party application is found, and it changes your TZ automatically, all your appointments in your Calendar will be off by a like amount of time, unless the user has taken the simple step of entering their appointments for the correct TZ in the first place.
    For me, that wouldn't matter, I have never opened the calendar.
    05-02-08 04:50 PM
    And getting the tz right is really an outlook issue, not Rim's to solve. After all, Rim lets you set the correct time zone. It's outlook that defaults you to local time and makes YOU calculate the difference if you want to do it right.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-02-08 04:51 PM
    And getting the tz right is really an outlook issue, not Rim's to solve. After all, Rim lets you set the correct time zone. It's outlook that defaults you to local time and makes YOU calculate the difference if you want to do it right.
    There is one thing about Outlook 2000 & 2003 (not sure about the others) that I have not seen mentioned here and that is you have the ability in the calendar to view 2 time zones at the same time when setting up a meeting. When in the calendar you can right click in the time area when viewing as a 1 day view and there is an option to show a second time zone. Be careful when in there that you do not change the first time zone otherwise you will change the computer's time zone and create a bit of havoc. Only change the optional 2nd time zone view. You can also put labels on the 2 time zones showing. I use that feature from time to time (no pun intended) when I am setting up a meeting between 2 time zones. If you're doing a meeting across more then 2 time zones then you're bouncing back and forth changing the time zones a few times to figure it out.

Not sure if this will help you or anyone else but thought I would mention it here.
    05-02-08 06:08 PM
    It's been awhile since I used Outlook 2003 but Outlook 2007 will allow you to set the TZ for beginning and ending times when creating an appointment so now you can have it both ways and RIM is off the hook.

05-14-08 03:29 PM
    I spent roughly an hour talking to T-mubble customer circus today. There is no solution to the problem, after speaking to three different persons. I asked the circus rep about any scripts or software I could write on my own to simply copy the network time displayed in the date/time options onto the phone desktop. He did get me info on that, but I'm assuming access to the java script development tools requires a license and some capital.

As a pilot I use my phone as an alarm clock while traveling though different time zones all the time. Quite often we only get 5.5 hrs of rest, so I used to use my cell phone (razor) often to simply take care of things like daylight savings time shifts and the like. I found out the hard way using this phone as an alarm clock without setting it to the specific time zone is not a good idea. Luckily the emergency wake-up call I normally set up gave me 15m to get ready.

I would imagine you can get more customers to forget what time it is based on night-time minutes, and more revenue if you leave this feature out that has been on every phone I have owned prior to this.
    Last edited by crackberrypilot; 06-08-08 at 10:47 PM.
    06-08-08 10:45 PM
    I spent roughly an hour talking to T-mubble customer circus today. There is no solution to the problem, after speaking to three different persons. I asked the circus rep about any scripts or software I could write on my own to simply copy the network time displayed in the date/time options onto the phone desktop. He did get me info on that, but I'm assuming access to the java script development tools requires a license and some capital.
    To my knowledge RIM offers their programming stuff for download through their website. You might wanna have a look around. I know when people are wanting to design themes they have to download a sh!t load of programming type stuff off of the blackberry website. You might find what you're looking for!
    06-08-08 10:55 PM

As a pilot I use my phone as an alarm clock while traveling though different time zones all the time. Quite often we only get 5.5 hrs of rest, so I used to use my cell phone (razor) often to simply take care of things like daylight savings time shifts and the like. I found out the hard way using this phone as an alarm clock without setting it to the specific time zone is not a good idea. Luckily the emergency wake-up call I normally set up gave me 15m to get ready.

I would imagine you can get more customers to forget what time it is based on night-time minutes, and more revenue if you leave this feature out that has been on every phone I have owned prior to this.
    I want that program when you have it written!!!!! If you read this entire thread, we, the folks wanting the phone to change automatically, are in a minority. Be also aware that appt's might get shifted unless you have set a TZ when you enter them.
    06-08-08 11:01 PM
    I want that program when you have it written!!!!! If you read this entire thread, we, the folks wanting the phone to change automatically, are in a minority. Be also aware that appt's might get shifted unless you have set a TZ when you enter them.
    Patrick Waugh and I have been having an off-line conversation about how to fix this for everybody. Basically, the phone only knows that there's a difference between "time" and "network time." At least, that's all Rim exposes to the user. If the cell tower is actually broadcasting a time zone code, you can't see it. But you don't need to. All you need is a small program that looks at "time" and "network time," sees that there is an integer multiple of hours difference, then tells the user something like "The time has shifted two hours. Would you like to adjust the time zone to (whatever is two hrs different.") Or it could give you the option to always change it. Now that would truly be smart! And wouldn't mess up the calendar for people who are using it. I would gladly pay $10 for such a program.
    06-09-08 09:17 PM
    Patrick Waugh and I have been having an off-line conversation about how to fix this for everybody. Basically, the phone only knows that there's a difference between "time" and "network time." At least, that's all Rim exposes to the user. If the cell tower is actually broadcasting a time zone code, you can't see it. But you don't need to. All you need is a small program that looks at "time" and "network time," sees that there is an integer multiple of hours difference, then tells the user something like "The time has shifted two hours. Would you like to adjust the time zone to (whatever is two hrs different.") Or it could give you the option to always change it. Now that would truly be smart! And wouldn't mess up the calendar for people who are using it. I would gladly pay $10 for such a program.
    Aha, maybe BBA (Fabrian) is interested in this project.
    06-10-08 08:11 AM
    Hi. I'm also a pilot and a recent CB convert from Palm OS. Palm had this feature, and BB's have GOT to get into this mode too, IMO.

Seems to me that the logic is to offer an option that disables the TZ feature (set to NONE, perhaps?), and only looks to Network time to update the BB device. No need (or desire) to change calendar appointments.

This way (especially for us pro-travellers), the appoitments that are stored in our calendars that are expressed in Local Time... are always local... for wherever you are!

I'm highly motivated to crack this problem. If anyone can give me a vector, I'll do the grunt work.

marc.
    05-18-09 11:46 PM
    Almost a full year. Some of us still wait and hope....

Go for it.
    05-19-09 08:28 AM
    ...the appointments that are stored in our calendars that are expressed in Local Time... are always local... for wherever you are!...
    Appointments are never entered in your calendar in Local Time, they are entered in the default time zone for your device, unless you explicitly change it. RIM's solution acknowledges that. With Outlook 2007, you can now easily set the correct time zone for an appointment in Outlook as well. As people get used to that new feature, I expect time zone problems to become a thing of the past. I doubt RIM will waste any time and money on the issue.
    05-19-09 08:50 AM
    Reviving old topic since I'm fairly new to BB and this just became an issue for me when traveling. I'm just slumming till Verizon gets the iPhone.

For an example of a smarter smart phone IMO, the iPhone gives you the option to choose how you prefer to do things. You can do everything manually as on the BB, if that's how you like to work for whatever reason, OR you can let your phone adjust the time zone *and* match your appointments to the current zone automatically, as many of us prefer. Here's how simple it is:
    (on iPhone) Choose General > Date & Time and turn Time Zone Support on. When Time Zone Support is on, Calendar displays event dates and times in the time zone set for your calendars. When Time Zone Support is off, Calendar displays events in the time zone of your current location.
    Simple, elegant, and smarter. Seems it'd be easy for RIM to do this. (Or am I missing it, and has this been added to the software since this thread ended??)
    11-11-09 11:53 AM
    glenn, the options to allow automatic timezone adjustments has been added to OS 5 on newer devices (9550, 9520, 9530, 9700) and will be included in OS 5 upgrades for other devices.

The problem you will face is that the 8830 won't be getting an OS 5 upgrade (as far as I know).
    11-11-09 11:58 AM
    Thank you, jsanders, I will stand happily corrected when OS 5 comes out! (I have the 9630 so it should be fine.)
    11-11-09 01:17 PM
79 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD