This is my last option for trying to fix a trackball issue (scrolls fine, will not respond to clicking at all). My new BB 8830 (3rd one) is only 6 months old. The trackball was PERFECT (I alcohol via Q-Tips regularly) until the very day I upgraded from 3.2 (I think) to 4.5 all at once (12/17/09). Had some issues and have already performed the following:

*Cleaned trackball (alcohol). Disassembled trackball and cleaned with alcohol very carefully. Both the copper (embedded in handset) and the silver spoon shaped contacts (on the bottom of the trackball assembly) look great, no tarnish or anything. I used alcohol sparingly on both (done it before, so didn't hurt anything), so the contacts couldn't be better.

*I've wiped the handheld twice and also restored it to 3 different restore points, but the actual handset is always still upgraded to 4.5.

*I've done the "wring the towel" technique several times, following instructions carefully. Doesn't fix it.

So, my last attempt now before just tossing this handset, is to downgrade to the lowest OS anyone out there may have stored on your PC? Even 4.2, but the older the better!

I'm new here and JEFF HAS BEEN AWESOME and helped me out greatly. I'm not sure how to go about getting an OS from anyone, so please let me know how we do the transfer if you have an older OS.

******Also, PLEASE if anyone has any other ideas how to fix the trackball issue? Since the contacts look clean and shiny, I don't think a new trackball will make any difference. Does the trackball "silver spoon" contact (that connects to the embedded copper when clicked) ever "deactivate"? If so, maybe I do need a whole new trackball assembly.

Thanks all and hope your holiday season is going well. Please help!

Ellie
    12-27-09 04:23 AM
    I appreciate your kind words. I found a copy of Verizon's OS 4.2.2.196 that I'd forgotten I had. I'm uploading it to MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service. I'll PM you with the access code. I hope it helps, but frankly I'm not optimistic. I don't know how upgrading your OS could have caused the problem you have.
    12-27-09 04:52 PM
    Thanks Jeff! Will this download work w/ Sprint though?

I appreciate your kind words. I found a copy of Verizon's OS 4.2.2.196 that I'd forgotten I had. I'm uploading it to MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service. I'll PM you with the access code. I hope it helps, but frankly I'm not optimistic. I don't know how upgrading your OS could have caused the problem you have.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-27-09 08:26 PM
    Thanks Jeff! Will this download work w/ Sprint though?

Yes. You just have to delete vendor.xml from your PC. Use Window's Search function to find and delete every occurrence. Some versions of DM hide copies of vendor.xml in various places on your PC, then use it to block you from loading another vendor's compatible OS.
    12-27-09 08:29 PM
    Great! Thanks for the info Jeff. Late night for me tonight. I'll try loading this in the morning and post results!

12-28-09 03:34 AM
    Yeah, I'm with Jeff, never seen an OS upgrade kill a trackball on an 8830. And sadly, there's really no simple way of replacing the contact as it's part of the board assembly and isn't really worth the cost of replacing (been there).

May have to go to insurance, snatch a new unit on the bay, or, upgrade to something newer you like.

12-29-09 12:04 PM
    Great! Thanks for the info Jeff. Late night for me tonight. I'll try loading this in the morning and post results!

What was your outcome?

01-06-10 10:29 PM
    ...sadly, there's really no simple way of replacing the contact as it's part of the board assembly and isn't really worth the cost of replacing (been there).
    No entirely true. Clicking issues can be 1 of 2 things.

1) The trackball dome
    2) The trackball module

If it's the dome, it's an easy and cheap fix. If it's the module, it's cheap- but not easy.
    01-11-10 02:06 PM
    Any update annaleighsage?
    01-19-10 01:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD