Hi there,

First post as i received my Blackberry 8800 yesterday. My brother has used Blackberries for ages now and, I, having found other smartphones a bit confusing to use, thought i would ask my work to procure one for me.

I am having problems!!!!! I work in the Ukraine and the phone is very new to the Market here. WWe managed to track down one company that sold them and when it was delivered it would seem that it is a German Vodafone model.

My phone uses the local Network, UMC, and it works fine as a telephone.

It will not let me set up my own internet account in the start up menu, and says the GPRS connection is not allowed. I used the same SIM in my old smartphone (an XDA) and wifi,and GPRS worked fine.

I also want to synchronise my MS outlook email from my stand alone (ie not connected to the server) laptop. But I do not know how to do this.

I also can't find a browser on the phone. Does this set up automatically or do i have to download extra software?

Could someone walk through the steps, please?!!!!

Is this a proble with the Phone or phone company service?

If the phone works on the local network, then presumably it has already been cracked? If not, should I get the phone cracked and can anyone suggest how to do this?

Many thanks for any help that can be given to me as I am really fisihng in the dark on this one and fear that i might have to send it back (which would be such a shame as i thik it is eactly what i need)

Regards

Nick
    04-04-07 09:01 AM
    ...that they subject was not 'related' to the post (you get more answers / help that way)...

Anyway, moving on. Did you get a data plan with your service provider? If yes, and you JUST got it, sometimes it takes up 24 hours to become active
    04-04-07 09:23 AM
    ...that they subject was not 'related' to the post (you get more answers / help that way)...

Anyway, moving on. Did you get a data plan with your service provider? If yes, and you JUST got it, sometimes it takes up 24 hours to become active
    Many thanks Navilyn, unfortunately, the service provider is not the one that gives service plans. Here in the Ukraine, you buy the handset and pay for your calls. The SIM card that I use is the same as i had in my XDA smartphone and the GPRS service worked fine in it. I have had someone speak to the phone company but they have never heard of blackberry!
    04-04-07 10:33 AM
    Having a GPRS data plan is only part of the process. BlackBerry runs over GPRS and therefore a lot of people make the mistake of assuming that if you have GPRS, you have BlackBerry. I know that the Kyivstar network run a BlackBerry APN (Access Point Name) so you should be able to get something from them. That's about as much help as I can be!
    04-04-07 02:48 PM
    **Edited thread title**
    04-04-07 03:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD