can anyone help have a new BB 8830 WE phone added user to blackberry enterprise manager, activated phone but contacts won't sync to phone. emails work back and forth, calendar syncs fine, but can't figure out contacts issue.
    BB 8830
    Ver. 422196

if anyone has any suggestions, thanks.
    Mike
    10-20-08 03:19 PM
    It sometimes happens that OTA sync is lost for one of the five apps that BES supports. I don't know why this happens, but here is a solution that has always worked for me:

You should know that there is a very slight risk of corrupting the OS on your device anytime you do a battery pull, so be sure to have a current backup before performing this procedure.
    1. Options / Advanced Options / Service Books
    2. Select the entry "Desktop [SYNC]"
    3. Push the Menu button
    4. Select Delete
    5. Answer "yes" to the "are you sure question?"
    6. Without turning off the blackberry, remove the battery
    7. Leave the battery out for a minute or so
    8. Put the battery back in
    9. After the blackberry boots up, select Options / Advanced Options / Service Books
    10. Push the Menu button
    11. Select Undelete

The Wireless Sync option should now be present for Contacts, Tasks, Notes, Messages, and Calendar. It may be necessary to do this procedure more than once. The first time I did it, the service book came back, but the Wireless Sync option did not come back. I repeated the entire process and the second time the Wireless Sync capability was restored. So if you do it and it doesn't work, repeat the entire process. I've successfully used this process to restore OTA synching for contacts, notes, and the calendar. I've never had the problem with Tasks or Messages.

If this process doesn't work, Blackberry Technical Support Knowledge Base Article KB10105 may apply. Here is the link: Calendar entries will not synchronize from the BlackBerry smartphone to Microsoft Outlook

If this Knowledge Base article applies, your IT department will have to solve the problem. It's beyond user solution.
    10-20-08 10:48 PM
    It sometimes happens that OTA sync is lost for one of the five apps that BES supports. I don't know why this happens, but here is a solution that has always worked for me:

You should know that there is a very slight risk of corrupting the OS on your device anytime you do a battery pull, so be sure to have a current backup before performing this procedure.
    1. Options / Advanced Options / Service Books
    2. Select the entry "Desktop [SYNC]"
    3. Push the Menu button
    4. Select Delete
    5. Answer "yes" to the "are you sure question?"
    6. Without turning off the blackberry, remove the battery
    7. Leave the battery out for a minute or so
    8. Put the battery back in
    9. After the blackberry boots up, select Options / Advanced Options / Service Books
    10. Push the Menu button
    11. Select Undelete

The Wireless Sync option should now be present for Contacts, Tasks, Notes, Messages, and Calendar. It may be necessary to do this procedure more than once. The first time I did it, the service book came back, but the Wireless Sync option did not come back. I repeated the entire process and the second time the Wireless Sync capability was restored. So if you do it and it doesn't work, repeat the entire process. I've successfully used this process to restore OTA synching for contacts, notes, and the calendar. I've never had the problem with Tasks or Messages.

If this process doesn't work, Blackberry Technical Support Knowledge Base Article KB10105 may apply. Here is the link: Calendar entries will not synchronize from the BlackBerry smartphone to Microsoft Outlook

If this Knowledge Base article applies, your IT department will have to solve the problem. It's beyond user solution.

Jeff,
    As allways thanks for your detailed straight to the point explinations! However, my problem apears to be a little different. The Wireless Sync option on my 8830 is always present and set to "yes" but it don't always do it. Occasionally I can make changes in my address book and the changes will sync within minutes but sometimes it will go for days or even weeks before it syncs. The same goes for my notes which I like to use in meetings and when I'm on the fly but the same thing happens. I'm going on weeks now and my notes have not synced yet but oddly enough the contacts that I updated last week just synced today. Your thoughts?

Thanks,
    GuardDog
    10-28-08 10:07 PM
    I've lost OTA sync on notes before, while the calendar and contacts continued to sync normally. You have to check to make sure Wireless Sync is an option in each app individually. I will occasionally look at notes, task, and contacts, just to be sure. It can be missing in one app and present in the other three. The solution is the same procedure, regardless of which app needs it.
    10-28-08 10:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD