OK, thanks for understanding and finally pulling the battery. That being said, test it with the BB holstered and not holstered. There should be a volume change depending on if it's holstered or not, based on OS version details.

Thanks for investingating this "miracle(?)" for us all.
    01-29-08 02:41 PM
    Okay, here's where I'm at.

I pulled the battery, as suggested. Now my ringtone is deathly quiet again. I really wish I hadn't pulled it. I wasn't experiencing any problems. No changes at all, other than the louder ringtone and alerts. Oh well, it's done now.

I did compare the volume holstered vs. unholstered. It's louder when in the holster. Not really loud like it was before, but a little louder than unholstered. Exactly as it should be, per the OS update.

I was able to duplicate the sound/volume I've been hearing. A few minutes ago I listened to the tone I've been using as my phone ringtone, using Mediaplayer. The tone is an MP3 from TuneUsIn. I had the volume on Mediaplayer turned all the way up, as I had it when I was listening to the MP3s after I downloaded them. The clip (Danny Boy - Carly Simon) played through Mediaplayer at max volume is exactly what I was hearing on my phone before I pulled the battery. Not only louder than ringtones normally are, but fuller sounding - both through Mediaplayer and as my ringtone (you know, until a few hours ago). And oddly, all my alerts had this fuller tone and volume as well. They didn't sound like the normal thin alerts. It was like going from a crappy handheld transistor radio to a high quality surround sound system. Well, sort of.

So that's my story. I really want that good sound back. I totally don't understand how my phone could have been playing alerts and ringtones through Mediaplayer, or if that's what was happening, but that's what it sounded like. Now if I could only make it happen again. Does anyone have any thoughts? I'd love to hear them! Right now, I'm back to barely being able to hear my phone, and I don't like it.
    01-29-08 07:33 PM
    Well, thanks for reporting your findings. Sorry you lost your loudness, but let's face it.... I know you knew in your heart that a battery pull was going to revert you back. It was a glitch in the phone/OS stability. We all know the thing can ring loudly... we just need RIM to fix the issue. Thanks again.

Hey, just for giggles, duplicate what you did in the car. Have your husband call you and end the call. Then put it in the holster and back in your purse and leave it for 30 minutes. Then have him call you again. Who knows? Do you have anything wacky in your purse?

Now, let's hear from the others in this thread on what transpired in their lives prior to the phone going "full blast". It's too weird for multiple people to have the same exact thing happen without some kind of "chain of events" causing this.
    01-29-08 10:18 PM
    How ridiculous is this ringer volume problem. It's been going on months. You'd think they would have had it fixed by now.

I'm gonna revolt if it isn't fixed soon, sick of missing calls cuz I can't hear the phone.
    01-30-08 11:16 PM
    my bb did the exact same thing as DLRstudio's. all of a sudden yesterday, all of my notifications including my ringer got REALLLY loud. i pulled the battery cuz my memory was getting low and BOOM -- notifications and ringers back to normal... WTF is going on with our BBs????? gremlins?????
    01-31-08 08:24 AM
    How ridiculous is this ringer volume problem. It's been going on months. You'd think they would have had it fixed by now.

I'm gonna revolt if it isn't fixed soon, sick of missing calls cuz I can't hear the phone.
    Wouldn't it make you mad if the new RED VZW 8830 comes out tomorrow and the ringer problem is fixed on it? I now it would make me .
    01-31-08 10:24 AM
    Wouldn't it make you mad if the new RED VZW 8830 comes out tomorrow and the ringer problem is fixed on it? I now it would make me .
    Ummm, yes! I think I'd bite the bullet and just buy the new one. If this were just a little quiet, it wouldn't be a big deal. But I'm pretty tired of missing calls, alerts, emails, pretty much everything that should be making noise. Yeah, I'd definitely buy a new one if the volume problem were fixed. I'm not holding my breath for any kind of update that will fix the current 8830s.

Unfortunately, the red 8830 won't be available in VZW stores til 2/8. There's no way I'm ordering one online without knowing if the volume issue has been addressed. Maybe someone here will get one right away and give a report.

Hey JRSCCivic98 ~ I think YOU should do it!!! I'll be waiting for your review!
    Last edited by DLRStudio; 01-31-08 at 11:23 AM.
    01-31-08 11:14 AM
    I downloaded and use the "bbSuperLoud2" ringer on mine, and I can hear it anywhere in the house. Seems much easier (& cheaper) to grab this free ringer than to purchase another phone.

My 8830 is generally plagued by the volume issue -- I had a mp3 clip I wanted to use and it was kind of quiet in the BB media player, but practically mute when it was used as a ringer.

The bbSuperLoud2 ringer is a god-send. Although, at time, it's about to give me a heart attack...
    01-31-08 11:21 AM
    I downloaded and use the "bbSuperLoud2" ringer on mine, and I can hear it anywhere in the house. Seems much easier (& cheaper) to grab this free ringer than to purchase another phone.

My 8830 is generally plagued by the volume issue -- I had a mp3 clip I wanted to use and it was kind of quiet in the BB media player, but practically mute when it was used as a ringer.

The bbSuperLoud2 ringer is a god-send. Although, at time, it's about to give me a heart attack...
    Is it a decent sounding ringone? I think I'll try it. That may be a good option.

Here's another thought:

JRSCCivic98 ~ you're a techie ~ how about finding a way for us to have our ringtones played through Media Player? That would be the perfect solution! I bet you can do it. Now my day will be going much smoother, knowing you're on this for us

D
    01-31-08 11:33 AM
    can someone post the "bbSuperLoud2."

the one link i found to it is dead
    01-31-08 12:15 PM
    I've posted a copy here: bbsuperLoud2.mp3
    02-01-08 09:10 AM
    Hey all,
    I've just started having similar problems, but its the opposite of what everyone here is experiencing. My 8830 came with it being extremely loud, but suddenly its dead quiet (the lowest setting is now my loudest setting). I guess this also had to be through an update, since my phone was randomly off when it should not have been (a solid red LED was on as well as the hourglass when it was booting up as well).

It was so nice with its loud setting (especially for an alarm), hopefully someone gets to the bottom of this randomness
    02-07-08 10:32 PM
    "I've posted a copy here: bbsuperLoud2.mp3"

thanks for the link... that thing is LOUD!!!
    02-07-08 11:05 PM
    Well this is my first post to the forum and I wanted to add that I am an addict. I Picked up my 8830 from VZ on the 31st and the next day I found out that the red model was going to be released. So, tomorrow I am going to trade mine in for the red one since I am still within my initial return period. Still kinda wish it had a camera..... Ill let you guys know if the ringer volume is better or not.
    Last edited by josun54; 02-07-08 at 11:53 PM. Reason: .....
    02-07-08 11:52 PM
    Well this is my first post to the forum and I wanted to add that I am an addict. I Picked up my 8830 from VZ on the 31st and the next day I found out that the red model was going to be released. So, tomorrow I am going to trade mine in for the red one since I am still within my initial return period. Still kinda wish it had a camera..... Ill let you guys know if the ringer volume is better or not.
    Im in the same boat as you except all the vzw stores in Phoenix are not getting them in until Feb 15.
    02-08-08 07:42 AM
    "I've posted a copy here: bbsuperLoud2.mp3"

thanks for the link... that thing is LOUD!!!
    Hehe... yeah, yeah it is.
    02-08-08 10:12 AM
    Hey, you guys are not alone with experiencing the ups and downs of the volume on the 8830... The damn thing works when it wants to at such an inconvenient time!!! Go figure, right? I hope they can resolve this issue ASAP!
    02-08-08 10:23 AM
    This is very annoying.

I have a work Blackberry 8800 through AT&T.

I liked it much, so I upgraded my personal Verizon phone to the Blackberry 8830 through Verizon.

These phones are basically identical.

The volume on the Verizon 8830 is much lower then the AT&T 8800.

I think this is Verizon's doing. They programmed some crap on the phone to make the volume lower. This is very annoying as it is not quite loud enough.

So when you are all experiencing this sudden loudness, it is probably a bug that Verizon introduced by cutting the volume back.

Also, Verizon put a pamphlet in the box with the 8830 about "Caution: Avoid potential hearing loss". Well why did they do that if there going to go ahead and tamper with the volume level in the device?

On a side note, does anyone know how to disable whatever Verizon did to the volume on these phones? I want my Verizon 8830 to be as loud as my AT&T 8800
    02-08-08 02:48 PM
    Just found blackberry doc# KB15009 dated 1-17-08
    "Volume of ring tone is low even when set to High"

Looks like BB is aware of problem and is working on a fix.

This stupid website won't allow me to post the URL, but you can search the blackberry-dot-com website for KB15009
    02-08-08 11:49 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD