My buddy currently has the Treo 700 through Verizon. He has nothing but problems with this device. He would like nothing more than to ditch it.

I almost have him convinced to get the BB8830. The only thing holding him back is BB's inability to sync with Outlook over the data line. He said if his secretary schedules an appointment or makes any changes to Outlook, it will sync to his phone even when he is traveling.

Since this is an important feature for him, he's somewhat hesitant to change. Can this be accomplished with his BB, either natively or with 3rd party software? Thanks for your help.
    02-15-08 07:32 PM
    If you're on an enterprise server, everything syncs automatically as well. I left the Treo for the 8830 and haven't looked back. But, he must have the BES for the syncing to work flawlessly. I can't speak for the BIS.
    02-15-08 07:41 PM
    He is a small business owner so I'd guess he would have a BIS setup.
    02-15-08 08:56 PM
    Well if he has BIS, tell him to take an extra 2 minutes out of his day and sync it himself.
    02-15-08 09:10 PM
    Well if he has BIS, tell him to take an extra 2 minutes out of his day and sync it himself.
    Lol I tried. He credits that one feature with saving his rear on many an occasion. I myself don't see the importance of it, but hey, I can say that because I have a Blackberry.
    02-15-08 09:26 PM
    As a small business owner he can use BES by using a hosted exchange server. There is a small monthly fee that you pay to another company to manage the exchange server. They take care of the server/software costs. There are many companies that provide this service. Here is an example of such a company. You can do a search to find others.

The benefit of this is that you can enjoy all the features of BES (instant wireless syncing of email, calendar, etc.) without the expense and maintanance of expensive equipment and software. If his secretary schedules a meeting while he is out of the office, his BB calendar will sync automatically within seconds of her entering the data.

Hope this helps him to make the decision to switch to a BB. The Treo 700 is a piece of crap! LOL Thats what I came from. It was constantly locking up and needing to be rebooted. Since I've had my BB I don't have that problem anymore. The BB just works!
    02-15-08 10:12 PM
    Nice find Jimmers. Thanks for the info.
    02-15-08 10:24 PM
    You're welcome! That what us Crackberry's are for
    02-15-08 10:47 PM
    3rd party hosted BES just opens your network up to 3rd party companies. I hate to say it, but RIM's stonghold on the BB's sync ability is it's downfall. ActiveSync is the kind of "native/no extra cost" wireless sync that makes me warm inside.

Honestly, if he's on a 700wx the instability comes from all the other BS that is loaded on the device by Verizon. Maybe I'm the only one, but the only Treos I've had issues with are the Palm based ones when it comes to stability. Maybe it's because people just don't close out their apps instead of switching from one to the other while you leave them running in the background killing your memory and CPU on the phone. Honesly, the BB has similar limitations, but even with its stability I still have to reboot the thing when data stops working from time to time. Nothing is bulletproof, but damn those recent RIM outings. I'd hate to see what happens to the world if RIM was to crash... for an extended period of time.

Tell your friend the Treo 800 is right around the corner for Verizon... have him wait a little bit and have a much wider range of phone choices from the carrier. Besides, by then the Curve will be out as well.
    02-15-08 11:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD