For the last week I've been struggling with my Blackberry 8800....it won't charge. I've tried charging it using my Pearl's AC adapter and directly to my computers USB connection.

When I plug in the USB cable or adapter, it will begin to charge for 5-6 seconds and then will stop charging. I know this because the red light at the top will go off and the plug icon on the screen will vanish.

I searched google and have already re-installed the desktop software several times, as well as, tried using different USB ports, cables, and adapters without any luck. I even bought a new battery, but no success. The USB's port on the phone looks fine...alll the gold prongs are there. My phone's battery is running out fast and I need help. The worst thing is the phone is from a 3rd party and Tmobile wont cover it.

I just need to know what is the problem and how to fix it? Is it the battery, a battery connection somewhere, the BB's USB port? WHAT?
    05-30-08 05:57 PM
    More likely a battery issue. I would suggest you take it to a TMO store and explain the problem to them. Hopefully they will switch out the battery, or if need be, replace the device for you.
    05-30-08 06:04 PM
    When your battery charge is very low, don't charge it with the usb port of your pc. That's not good.
    05-31-08 05:20 AM
    try charging it with a home charger, not the usb to pc
    06-14-08 02:03 AM
    If you want to buy a new battery try a seidio. A little bit pricy but worth the cost.
    06-14-08 08:23 AM
    Hi inro41, I have exactly the same problem. Owning a 8800 brand new and using BB software version 4.3.0.17. The BB starts charging via usb for a few seconds then drops the charging mode. If you unplug the cable and plug it again it will continue to do so. I do not believe it is a battery problem, but some kind of communication issue of the 8800 over the usb. I hope anyone at BB can give some advice to fix this. The ability to charge via usb when out of the office is very convenient, especially when you travel. Regards
    06-19-08 10:10 AM
    I think I sorted this issue out by carefully adjusting the level of insertion of the usb cable into the blackberry. Apparently I the cable is fully inserted into the BB receptacle the battery charge goes on for a few seconds then drops. However if you carefully plug the cable slight back outwards, but without fully disconnecting it, the battery charge will remain lit and proceed normally. I am using the usb cable which came with the device.
    Hope this helps. Kind regards
    06-19-08 11:39 AM
    update the DM, it may help.
    i have ever met with the same problem
    06-20-08 01:18 PM
    I think I sorted this issue out by carefully adjusting the level of insertion of the usb cable into the blackberry. Apparently I the cable is fully inserted into the BB receptacle the battery charge goes on for a few seconds then drops. However if you carefully plug the cable slight back outwards, but without fully disconnecting it, the battery charge will remain lit and proceed normally. I am using the usb cable which came with the device.

thank you! i made this name to reply! i have a blackberry curve but i had the same problems as everyone else except i have a curve and i pulled it out just a little and problem was solved.. thank you very much
    01-04-10 08:05 PM
    You are a wizard! It works!!! I couldn't charge my old dinosaur, 7130e. But I did what you suggested and it works like a champ. Thanks!!
    03-15-10 07:16 AM
    This is a beginning sign of your charging port going out. Eventually it will not charge correctly anymore. When that happens, if you want your phone's port to be repaired like new please look us up...

We fix them through our ebay repair listings for $38.95. Just type "blackberry charge port repair" for your ebay search and look for the listings with "PORT REPAIR" around a charge port in big red writing. Our ebay username is "its-a-pheo" We have fixed hundreds of them and complete the fix the day we receive the phone from you. Feel free to email me with any questions at all... [email protected]
    06-10-10 01:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD