Hi, I love my BB-first one-got it 2 weeks ago. I am having trouble with the music. I saved a CD to my desktop and I copied it to my Blackberry. When I go to the menu, they are all in there, but when I press Album or Artists, nothing is in there. Seems like I did something wrong, but what? Someone said I had to tag the songs-not sure about that.

Can someone help me? Thanks.

Mary Jane
    07-14-08 03:39 PM
    Yeah you have to tag the Mp3s in a program like I tunes or winamp

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-14-08 03:46 PM
    How do I do that?
    07-14-08 04:58 PM
    You will need to find an application that allows you to edit the tags. The two programs mentioned should do that and I believe, both maybe FREE.

Then you locate your files (presumably, the cd was ripped into MP3 format) with one of the above programs and it will usually show some format like a table or just the individual item and allow you to enter data like Artist, Album, Title (as opposed to just a filename but they can be the same), etc.

Ah, another good one for free is Media Monkey. You can highlight all songs in one album and add the appropriate tags for Artist and Album. Of course, some ripping programs will do some of this automatically and fill in those tags. What program did you use? I know that Cdex will check an online database and get the album info, then rip and you can set up templates for how it uses the data. Others should work similarly.
    07-14-08 06:56 PM
    How did you save the CD to your desktop?? Use itunes or windows media player and make sure the program has automatically found the track-name data befor ripping the CD.

07-14-08 09:20 PM
    On a relative note, I have DL a lot of my songs onto my 8130 via DM, but saw that some of the song titles were displayed only as Track #'s and some of those did not even reflect the artist's name making it truly difficult to determine what each was without opening the song and listening to it.
    So, this poses my question...how do I go back and edit the title and artist info? I already did in DM, to no avail. So I then tried to make the same changes on BB in Explore option on media card. The music files in that menu show the changes I made, however nothing changed in BB media music list. How does that even happen???
    Please offer any expertise as I must have caused this in some way. Thanks in advance for any help!!!

07-15-08 11:36 AM
    On a relative note, I have DL a lot of my songs onto my 8130 via DM, but saw that some of the song titles were displayed only as Track #'s and some of those did not even reflect the artist's name making it truly difficult to determine what each was without opening the song and listening to it.
    So, this poses my question...how do I go back and edit the title and artist info? I already did in DM, to no avail. So I then tried to make the same changes on BB in Explore option on media card. The music files in that menu show the changes I made, however nothing changed in BB media music list. How does that even happen???
    Please offer any expertise as I must have caused this in some way. Thanks in advance for any help!!!

You might need to pull the battery while the phone is ON, to get it to reindex the files. But are you sure that you edited the MP3 tags and not just the filename? I think that I used Media Monkey to look at the SD card while it was inside my BB and edited the few files that were not properly defined with full mp3 tag info.
    07-15-08 02:27 PM
    Have done several battery pulls/soft resets since loading and editing the music. You are probably right on with the tag info, as I do think I only edited file names/artists. I feel so stupid not to think to look any deeper than I had. Thanks for the insight and I'll check into Media Monkey for sure!!!

07-17-08 02:29 AM
    I tried Media Monkey and still doens't work. Any ideas??
    07-18-08 02:30 PM
    Does anyone know what versions of MP3 tags that the BB can read??
    01-02-09 12:06 PM
    Does anyone know what versions of MP3 tags that the BB can read??
    Whatever windows media uses.
    01-02-09 12:15 PM
    Windows media can read them all... Some phones only can read version 1... I have about 1/10 of my MP3s not tagged correctly somehow and I thought I might need to convert the tags to 2 or 3
    01-02-09 12:39 PM
    Windows media can read them all... Some phones only can read version 1... I have about 1/10 of my MP3s not tagged correctly somehow and I thought I might need to convert the tags to 2 or 3
    I use my phone primarily as a well... phone. Once in a blue moon I use it as a music player but I have never had an issue with the phone not being able to read any of my musics MP3 tags.
    01-02-09 01:07 PM
    I use my phone primarily as a well... phone. Once in a blue moon I use it as a music player but I have never had an issue with the phone not being able to read any of my musics MP3 tags.
    Same here, and well email when I am not chained to my desk... Occasionally I like to drown out the insignifigant other with music and to have it function correctly would be the wind beneath my wings...
    01-05-09 12:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD