Hi all,

Just got my (first) berry, the 8830 through Verizon and have a few questions.

I am a Mac user, and got the Sync software from RIM, but seems I can't update the software that way? I need to be on a PC to do this?

I set up an email account (IMAP) on the phone, and once I did that I could not see read SMS messages in the Messages App (even going to View Folder>SMS Inbox). Any new ones show up but once I've read them and left the App I can never get back to them. I even removed the email acct from the berry hoping that would help, but no luck!

Finally, I just got this phone a week or so ago like I said, but looks like I may now be heading overseas for an extended period. I locked myself into a 2-year contract with VZ and got the discount on the device with it. I assume that service (will be in Asia/China) through VZW overseas is going to be ridic and I am much better off trying to unlock and use a more local provider/SIM card. I have only ever had CDMA phones so I am very unfamiliar which much of the SIM card process, even in the US. I read the FAQ about how it is possible to unlock if you meet certain conditions (seem like I don't for many). I guess I'm just wondering my best option and how much I'm going to have to spend to make it happen. Finally, I was planning to keep my account live in the US at the most reduced plan I can unless just buying out my contract is the better plan? I would be out of the US for at least 6 months and like I said JUST entered into the contract.

If you tell me that I should just take the phone back and leave my contract and get a berry on another provider (assuming I can do that at this point) that is also something I am comfortable with. I am not wedded to VZW

Sorry for the essay, but lots of issues that for my sanity I wanted to keep in one place. If you only can/want to answer one of my many questions, please help.

Alex
    08-19-08 03:34 PM
    I am a mac user too hit me on my pin to discuss.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-19-08 03:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD