i just got a MicroSD card today and have had fun with the media player, but am having trouble getting songs set up as ringtones.

I figured out how to do it by clicking browse, menu key, explore, etc. to get to the songs in my music folder. The problem is they don't play at all when a call comes in. The phone doesn't make a sound at all. Could it be due to the file size of the song, or the latency in accessing the MicroSD for the song as a ringtone?

I would appreciate any help anyone can provide. Thanks from a new crackberry.com member.

06-03-07 12:25 AM
    Welcome to CrackBerry.com

Copy the respective 'tones' to the ringtones directory on the local memory of the device NOT the memory card you installed...

Once done, check the respective contacts to make sure the right tones have been selected. Addressbook / persons name / edit / add custom ringtone...
    06-03-07 06:47 AM
    So you have to maintain two copies of the files if you want to use it as music and a ringtone?

Do you know of any good editors that would allow me to just take a snippet of the song to use as the ring tone?

Thanks in advance for your help.
    06-03-07 07:13 AM
    Just tried your suggestion, but it states I don't have enough memory on the device for the song. Will it work from the ringtones folder on the memory card?
    06-03-07 07:37 AM
    It should. Place the items in there, then pull the battery, and then point the respective contact to the respective tones...

ps: why is your 'c' drive (per se') on the device full?
    06-03-07 08:26 AM
    Not sure why it's full. I put a couple additional applications on it before I bought the MicroSD card. That could be it.
    06-03-07 11:38 AM
    I just deleted a number of applications and status states I have about 14MB free in the device memory. I'm attempting to load a 2.7MB song onto the device, and it continues to tell me I don't have enough memory.

What is even more interesting is when I attempt to test the song as a custom ring tone, not only does the song not ring on the phone, but when attempting to answer the phone by clicking the send key, the phone acts like it is calling out to the number that is attempting to call in. It ultimately connects, but it says i'm "calling" the person who is calling me.
    06-03-07 12:16 PM
    There is a setting on the device that says something like, "max file size on internal memory = X"

That possibly, needs to be changed...
    06-03-07 12:24 PM
    ...go to Media / Ringtones / Menu / Options / Device Memory Limit - what's set there?

Also, for a ringtone, the file size really shouldn't be that big...
    06-03-07 12:27 PM
    It was set at 12MB. I bumped it up to the only other option, which is 15mb. I'll give that a try.

Should I delete some of the preloaded ringtones, alerts, etc. that I'll never use?
    06-03-07 07:32 PM
    ...personal choice, so, you can if you wish.
    06-03-07 08:34 PM
    I have BB Desktop Manager loaded on my PC desktop finally. I have my BB connected to the PC via USB but still can't see a way to download a ringtone from my desktop to my BB. What am I doing wrong. When I open the BB Desktop Manager on my PC I see

Application Loader
    Backup and Restore
    Switch Device Wizard
    Synchronize

as my options. None of them seems to support transferring the ringtone from the PC to the BB.
    07-14-07 08:55 AM
    OK, I have deinstalled and reinstaleld the BB DTM 4.2.2 and the Media Manager is not showing up. Is it possible that when I downloaded it off of the web that I didn't get it all?
    07-14-07 12:53 PM
    I finally gave up trying to install the software on my Gateway Desktop. I installed it on my wife's Toshiba Laptop and it installed in less than 10 minutes.
    07-15-07 07:30 PM
    don't know if anyone mgiht still be interested but if you want to edit mp3s to be utilized as ringtones (just a ten second hook or whatnot) theres a great little program ive used as a DJ in poorer times called audacity. just google that and you'll be sorted.

also useful for doing file conversions (wav to mp3) if your not using itunes for that already.
    Maybe someone can shed some light on my issue of getting mp3s onto my blackberry, which is one day old and I have never used before - took advice of someone else on here that has a macbook pro like me to go into media-->music then 'Receive using bluetooth' - send an mp3 using my macbook pro's 'send file' under bluetooth, then have to pick a path on the bb, the default for some reason is ringtones, tried both that and the music section, get a failed connection. Anyone got suggestions? I'm really digging this sketchy technology, its a nice challenge
    09-01-07 07:57 PM
    What is your bitrate set at on your 2meg mp3? I've heard that it can't be over 50K to work as a ringtone. Try reducing the bitrate to 50K or less to see if this fixes the problem. I have no problems running my ringtones from my media card.
    Last edited by Starwalker; 09-02-07 at 07:28 AM.
    09-02-07 07:25 AM
    OK, I've had the same issues. I can't get a file bigger than 1.5M or so to transfer over the Bluetooth or otherwise move in to the internal memory.

I have NO issue getting the ringtone to play when I select a song on the microSD card to be my ringer even though it's not in any of the Blackberry default directories. BUT!!! I still can barely hear the song play even when I use the Loud Profile and edit it to set the ringtone volume to High! I posted about this recently and was told that Verizon knows about this and that only one of the two speakers was being used for the ringtones and they were goign to change it so that both speakers were being used. You may not be able to hear the ringtone even though it may be playing. Also, the latency is several SECONDS after the call comes in before the tone even starts playing - this may have something to do with the size of the file - I need to look into a good editor - thanks for the tip above!
    09-02-07 10:42 AM
    i'll try lowering my bitrates, using mp3s to DJ has brainwashed me into using nothing less than 256kbps. I hope having a super low bitrate is not the case for regular music..thanks though. and ill try something less than 1.5 meg
    09-02-07 12:57 PM
    I just read in another post that the limit is 2.86MB? That would explain why the average song won't make it...
    09-02-07 01:23 PM
    weird. seems so arbitrary. my 48kbps/1.1MB track worked so i guess that was it. maybe i'll just have to get on someones PC whenever I want to load music that doesnt sound like I'm listening to it in a cave
    09-02-07 04:16 PM
    Hi, new user here. Managed to get songs onto my BB; however, when I set them as the primary ring tone, it plays for 3-4 seconds followed by a 4-5 second pause. This is just enough for me to think I hear a noise, listen for a bit and shrug it off.

Any assistance would be well appreciated.

Kimberly
    Device: 8830 WE
    Carrier: Sprint
    10-05-07 02:24 PM
    Hi, new user here. Managed to get songs onto my BB; however, when I set them as the primary ring tone, it plays for 3-4 seconds followed by a 4-5 second pause. This is just enough for me to think I hear a noise, listen for a bit and shrug it off.

Any assistance would be well appreciated.

Kimberly
    Device: 8830 WE
    Carrier: Sprint
    Does it play more than once in a loop or just the one time for a few seconds and shut off?
    10-05-07 02:29 PM
    Hey ever since I got my phone from Verizon I realized when I uploaded my songs from my computer they were never really that loud(to the point were it would get my attention) So I started to look around and found 2 programs

MP3Gain is a nice little program that will modify your MP3's to the desired default volume weather it be higher or lower. its great because this makes the custom ringtones I put on a lot better.

Mp3DirectCut is another really nice program that lets you simply and quickly cut and crop any mp3 file you put in it. This makes it so you can get that perfect part of the song for your ringtone.

I don't own either of these programs but I did bundle them for you and they are located on one of my sites here: www(DOT)masterofyourcomputer(DOT)com/Ringtoneedit(DOT)zip

Thats the link without the . Have fun guys ^_^
    Oh and I'm happy to be here... BB heaven
    10-08-07 06:29 AM
    I got a bb 8830 and I was able to download songs\ringtones but I cannot figure out how to set a ringtone as a message alert. Can someone please help me? Thank you Thumbalina2010

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-26-10 11:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD