I currently have a 8830 world edition. I am going to be moving to a 8830 Curve. I am currently backing my 8830 world edition using the Blackberry Desktop Manager software.

If I buy a curve, can I use the Desktop manager software and perform a restore on the new curve with a backup of the 8830 world edition? I just don't want to screw up the new phone.

My goal is to transfer all of my address book, calendar, email setting, prefs, pics, etc over to the new phone.

Should I use the backup and restore method or is there a better and more effecient way to do this? Much appreciated.
    12-07-09 02:12 PM
    Backing up the personal data on your 8830 and restoring it on your new 8330 is a very safe and efficient way to move your personal data to your new phone. A Desktop Manager backup only includes your personal data. It won't affect the OS or apps installed on the new phone in any way.
    12-07-09 09:27 PM
    JeffH

I see you have 9630. I was thinking of just upgrading to the curve, which includes a camera phone. Is there any reason you would prefer a 9630 to a 8830 curve with camera?

Just curious. Thanks
    12-08-09 08:41 AM
    I assume you mean 8330 since the 8830 doesn't have a camera. The 8330 is a very good choice, but its capabilities are exceeded by the Tour's in every instance. The Tour has a faster processor, more memory, higher resolution display, and a higher mega-pixel, auto-focusing camera. The 8330 is a very stable device, with few if any remaining bugs. It has sufficient memory to run OS 5, and will continue to be supported for some time.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-08-09 09:39 AM
    Thanks, that is interesting info. It sounds like the tour is a better phone but is newer with a few more kinks to work out because it is new?

The cost difference between the Curve and and Tour is $100. Is is worth the price difference in your opinion?
    12-08-09 10:03 AM
    I think the Tour is well worth the $100 difference. I should have pointed out the 8330 will have significantly better battery life than the Tour. All the advanced capabilities of the Tour come at the expense of increased power. The Tour battery life will likely get better as RIM adjusts the OS, but right now I recommend a spare battery and charger. Another advantage of the Tour is that its GPS chip works in autonomous mode. That means it doesn't need a ground signal, so Verizon users can use the internal GPS with 3rd party GPS apps.
    12-08-09 11:01 AM
    I don't mind an extra battery. If it means better performance and better picture phone quality, it looks like it might be worth it. Thanks
    12-10-09 12:41 PM
    I have decided to go with the bold. Can I still use the restore function going from a backup of a 8830 world edition to a bold? You said you could so it from a 8830 to a curve but not sure going from a 8830 to a bold because the bold is newer. With there be any OS issues in that transfer???

Thanks
    12-10-09 03:40 PM
    No issues; a restore of your personal data from an 8830 to a Bold will work just fine.
    12-10-09 03:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD